SF L1 Cree and Rechargeables

litetube

Enlightened
I know tis has been talked about here but I cannot find a thing using search .

Specifically what RCRs will fit and function in the L1 Cree? Tenergy? AW Ultrafire? 3.0v or 3.7v?

Thanx for any help.

litetube

Enlightened
Good to know. Those are unprotected though right?So it is possible to overdischage and ruin them in the L1`?

cy

Flashaholic
been running R123 since day one of using L1 cree.

this is a bare li-ion cell, due to tight tolerance mfg by surefire. a protected R123 will not fit.

patycake57

Newly Enlightened
For me, the Tenergy "750mAh" 3V fits pretty easily. I get two distinct levels. I believe it is LiPO4 and has a protection circuit.

The Tenergy "900mAh" 3V is too snug for my taste.

cy

Flashaholic
got a real scare when a protected cell jammed hard and would not come back out of L1 cree.

did manage to slowly work it back out with loads of sweat. was really worried I'd have to screw into cell to yank out.

can't just push out cell from other side :green:

litetube

Enlightened
Hmmm...

I have read measuremnts of the Tenergy 3.0v cells having 16.5mm diameter? That theoretically should fit? Since I have also read the L1 tube measures about 16.72mm?not alot of leeway there but maybe? I am almost gonna get those to try but it means another charger also. i was hoping maybe someone had them and had definite success with them? I believe they are protected also? I would just get Lifepo4 but I know sooner or later I would kill them by running them down too far. Does the L1 at least tell you by not going to high when a cell is depleted? is there any warning at all with a primary or unprotected cell?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Tenergy 900 mAh cells do not fit.

Keep in mind that nominal cell diameter by itself is not sufficient in the case of a tight potential fit. I've found that the neatness (and thus the flatness of the protection circuitry connectors under the wrapper) are often the make-or-break issue.

Wilkey

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Unprotected Powerizer RCR123, 3.6-4.2 volts, should fit. I use them in my SF's with drop-ins that are running buck regulators. Powerizers seem to stand up to high amperage drain better than other RCR123's out there. At first sign of dimming pull them.

Bill

litetube

Enlightened
Thats just it. I would periodically be tailstanding the L1 as an overall room light and may not be there to notice when that happens . I really need that protection circuit in there.
:(

litetube

Enlightened
So is the consensus that 3.7 V RCR like the AW will fit but will fry the LED over time ? or the board? or it should be fine?

this is tuff stuff to nail down............

Penguin

Enlightened
litetube, its more like. We haven't seen a board go bad because of a R123... BUT it's always a possibility. So it's use at your own risk... (personally, i'll be using R123's in my L1)

cy

Flashaholic
big deal... so you kill a bare R123... they are all of $3ea. besides L1 will run a long.... time on low.

been running a bare R123's in L1 and loads of other lights for years without killing em.. preferred choice is single cell lights like ti PD and L1 Cree.

there's no danger running down a single cell. greatest danger of using li-ion cells is during re-charge...

Thats just it. I would periodically be tailstanding the L1 as an overall room light and may not be there to notice when that happens . I really need that protection circuit in there.
:(

Last edited: