Glow in the dark O rings???

IPSC_GUY

Newly Enlightened
Ok forgive the newb question (or blame it on the lack of a search function for the moment) but WHAT is the deal with Glow in the Dark O rings?

I mean do they provide any practical application?

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
When an o-ring is at least partially visible from outside if it is luminous it will help you finding the flashlight in the dark. If on the contrary the o-ring is internal I agree with you that it is totally useless.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
When an o-ring is at least partially visible from outside if it is luminous it will help you finding the flashlight in the dark. If on the contrary the o-ring is internal I agree with you that it is totally useless.

Actually, it's quite useful if the glow ring is internal. When you turn on the light, even for a flash, it charges up the ring and then when you set it down on its side, you can clearly see the glow ring.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
In case the o-ring is not visible from the outside I am afraid I fail to see its usefulness. You probably refer to the ones behind the lens which are in any case at least partially visible from outside. :)

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
In case the o-ring is not visible from the outside I am afraid I fail to see its usefulness. You probably refer to the ones behind the lens which are in any case at least partially visible from outside. :)

Yes, I thought you meant it that way too...behind the lens. Why would someone put a glow-ring internally and not be able to see it? haha.

Marduke

Flashaholic
On the inside, there is no purpose. However I love to use them on the outside. If it's easy I'll replace the o-ring around the lens with a GITD one, and if there are any sufficient grooves on the outside of the light body I'll stick one in it.

Example: On the Rayovac Highbeam, I removed a metal lanyard ring between the body and tailcap. This left a gap which I put 1 (and later two) GITD o-rings to both fill the gap. They do nothing in the way of waterproofing, but it makes the light feel better and looks cool. Click the image for an even larger image.

greenLED

Flashaholic
In case the o-ring is not visible from the outside I am afraid I fail to see its usefulness.
Actually, I've replaced stock o-rings (not visible) with Sigman's glo-rings. The silicone rubber they're made out of is of high quality and improved the operation and waterproofness of a couple of lights I had. It's all a matter of finding the right size to fit your purposes.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the heads up. :)

If they are better than the normal ones I am surely going to try them regardless of the fact that they glow.

LumenMan

Enlightened
They are definitely a cool item to use to "customize" your lights :grin2:
As you discovered, they also serve a useful purpose as well

Panaphonic

Newly Enlightened
Not really related but oh well.

The Novatac EDC Pocket Clip suggest using an O-ring, is this to keep it from rattling on the battery tube or for water protection?

Is it really necessary?

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, I've replaced stock o-rings (not visible) with Sigman's glo-rings. The silicone rubber they're made out of is of high quality and improved the operation and waterproofness of a couple of lights I had. It's all a matter of finding the right size to fit your purposes.

That would be the biggest reason for a non visible ring. To replace rubber O-rings with silicon.