I love love love my P2D Q5, BUT...

maxray

Newly Enlightened
...I just wish I could change a couple things.

Is there a light out there that has similar functionality as the P2D (i.e. multi modes, similar brightness and runtime, clickie) uses a CR123a, but has a more "grippy" rugged exterior? I am thinking something that feels more like my Surefire 6P. The Novatac 120P sure seems close...but man, that price.

Anything else I should be looking at? I may just break down and get the 120P...this P2D Q5 has been an awesome EDC light for me, I use it pretty much daily for all kinds of things, and it never lets me down...except when it gets slippery!!!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Would you be okay with a 2-stage light? -Nitecore Extreme (http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=177947)
To clarify, although it only has 2-stages (user defined and max), user defined can be set to anything from ~5% to max. EDGETAC is sending me one for review, but it's likely a couple of weeks before that review is up.

The Novatac's would be a great choice. As for price, yourcornerstore.com currently has the 120P for ~$120, and the 120E for ~$90. :whistle:

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking about Novatac... what´s the difference between the 120E and the 120T ??

They say nothing in their website...

maxray

Newly Enlightened
Hey thanks guys.

That Nitecore looks pretty sweet - I will be monitoring that thread to see how it goes - seems like it has been a bit delayed.

A 120E for $90...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. It is in my shopping cart...now can I hide this from the wife? Better ship it to the office. :devil:

I think I just might pull the trigger on that. Is the only difference between the E and P is the customizable brightness settings you can do on the P, and the flat clickie? Sounds interesting, but I have gotten less fiddly these days, and I probably won't use that function too much once I set it.

Also - just read through the 120E manual, is the 120 lumens setting only available in a momentary mode, or can it be clicked on? It wasn't clear in the manual.

maxray

Newly Enlightened
Speaking about Novatac... what´s the difference between the 120E and the 120T ??

They say nothing in their website...

I believe the T has momentary on - "tactical" function, tactical ring, and a "disorienting strobe" - it is in the specs on the website.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
120T has a protruding tailcap switch (not tailstandable) and comes with tactical o-rings for cigar grip. Their configuration is the reverse of 120E ... meaning, they're
Primary: 120 Lumens
Secondary: 10 lumens
Minimum: 0.3 lumens

120E on the other hand is designed more as a utility light ... hence their setting starts off with low:
* Primary: 10 lumens
* Secondary: 42 lumens
* Maximum: 120 lumens

I have neither the 120T nor the 120E, so this is based on what I remember reading. I have the 120P and in my opinion is worth the extra $$$. You get 4 programmable settings ... if you wish, you could configure it to mimick either the 120T or 120E, but that'll be silly. Configure it anyway you want. Usually, once you have you 120P configured, you'll rarely go back and change it. So if either the 120T or 120E meets your need, then it makes sense to pay less.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol ... that's what I do too. See my signature to read about ... "You know you're a flashaholic when ..." thread.

Also, $90 is just the beginning ... if you want to upgrade, it'll cost you more $$$. I slowly upgraded my 120P like many people upgrade their cars ... the upgrade components cost more than $90 :eek:oo: I bought the PEU stainless steel bezel, sapphire crystal lens, and Ti Pocketclips, extended battery tubes, 17670 batteries, etc.

Hey thanks guys.
A 120E for $90...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. It is in my shopping cart...now can I hide this from the wife? Better ship it to the office. :devil:

maxray

Newly Enlightened
Lol ... that's what I do too. See my signature to read about ... "You know you're a flashaholic when ..." thread.

Too funny!! I must admit I can claim several of the ones in there!!

The price on 'yourcornerstore' was too good - I ended up pulling the trigger on the 120P - changed my mind from the 120E when i realized I could get 4 programmable settings, and I could tweak the low to be low-low-low. Plus I prefer a flush clickie. My wife still won't understand, though...

OK, so now I got the Surefire 6p with Malkoff M60, Fenix P2D Q5, Ultrafire C3, bag 'o' Fauxtons, and ordered the 120P and an E01 tonight. Am I done yet??? :laughing:

Actually - I like all my lights for all their different purposes - however, I suspect the new Novatac is going to replace the P2D as my EDC.

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
I have the 120t...great light and to me the P model would be setup like the t and the chance someone else needs to use it its fool proff to operate...get a novatac and you'll see,its not all hype:thumbsup:.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
You won't be disappointed. Some people have indicated that the light flickers on the lowest of low setting or when you go from high to low, it'll flicker. I tested mine out by setting the low to the minimum of 0.08 lumens and high at 120 lumens. I didn't have any flickering problem ... maybe I'm lucky? For me at least, 0.08 lumens is just a tad low ... I set mine to 0.23 lumens at the lowest.

Too funny!! I must admit I can claim several of the ones in there!!

The price on 'yourcornerstore' was too good - I ended up pulling the trigger on the 120P - changed my mind from the 120E when i realized I could get 4 programmable settings, and I could tweak the low to be low-low-low. Plus I prefer a flush clickie.

That's similiar to us men don't understand women's fascination for $1,000+ purses and handbags

My wife still won't understand, though...

Done? I don't think you'll ever be done. I asked myself the same question when I purchased the 120P. It was the most expensive flashlight I bought. Then I started to sexy it up. When I ran out of things to do with it ... I started wandering around the custom forum ... and my wallet is getting thinner by the day. Using wrist watch analogies, many of the flashlgihts from DealExtreme and Kaidoman are like Timex, they're good bang for the buck, functional. Fenix, Lumapower, and the likes are like Seikos. You just bought a Omega/Rolex of flashlights. The customs are like the Zenith, Panerai, A Lange & Sohne, etc. STAY AWAY FROM CUSTOMS. You've been warned

OK, so now I got the Surefire 6p with Malkoff M60, Fenix P2D Q5, Ultrafire C3, bag 'o' Fauxtons, and ordered the 120P and an E01 tonight. Am I done yet??? :laughing:

Actually - I like all my lights for all their different purposes - however, I suspect the new Novatac is going to replace the P2D as my EDC.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I just wish I could change a couple things.

Is there a light out there that has... a more "grippy" rugged exterior?

There's a bunch of threads devoted to ways to give Fenix lights a better grip. Just slip a section of bicycle inner tube on it.

l1tv2innertubepr7.jpg

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDGETAC is sending me one for review, but it's likely a couple of weeks before that review is up.

Selfbuilt,

It's good to hear you will be recieving the new Edgetac for review. I look forward to your comments on this light. I hope the user interface fairs better out of the gate than the DI. Don't get me wrong l like mine and carry it everday, but sometimes setting the user mode and keeping it at that setting is less than perfect. This light can be finicky at times.

Again I look forward to your review.

Bill

maxray

Newly Enlightened
Using wrist watch analogies, many of the flashlgihts from DealExtreme and Kaidoman are like Timex, they're good bang for the buck, functional. Fenix, Lumapower, and the likes are like Seikos. You just bought a Omega/Rolex of flashlights. The customs are like the Zenith, Panerai, A Lange & Sohne, etc. STAY AWAY FROM CUSTOMS. You've been warned

I can relate to the wristwatch analogy - although, I am a Tag Automatic man myself. :) I will not look at customs until I have AT LEAST used my 120P for 6 months...yeah right. I am looking forward to see just what kind of difference I will find comparing the 120P to the P2D - which was my first "real" flashlight. I am optimistic that I will find the 120P worth it - as I have read a lot of the reviews out there at this point, and I appreciate beefier engineering and elegant UI. However, at the price difference it is hard not to have high expectations - so I wonder how the Novatac will fare - I will keep you all posted.