I'm building a new TITANIUM flashlight, I'd love your feedback!

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pre-production samples should be dropped directly on the rocker switch, simultaneously hitting both ends of the switch from a meter up onto concrete. (Another reason why I suggested a 'corral' protecting the rocker)

ExceedDesigns

Newly Enlightened
Awesome feedback and I love hearing all the comments and concerns.

I am considering creating 2 different UI options that can be switched by holding certain buttons for a number of seconds to switch to the more compolex tactical UI style. I have 2 preferences I am seeing. Some want instant access and pre-selected modes, but some really like my idea of a ultra-simple UI with the almost fidget-able rocker switch to change, with memory on tail. The ramping speed is something I am working on. Also, the double click UP to full bright and double click DOWN to full dim has been super helpful for me testing these last few weeks.

I gave it to a friend who uses Fenix and he said sometimes he was finding himself clicking just one at a time and sometimes unintentionally activating most mode due the double click function to boost. I may test a triple press for boost, this might help us not accidentally land in boost mode. For me myself I never had this issue. I might make the UI so if you single click up or down, it moves brightness up by 5% each click, or something like this. It's fairly close to something I am happy with now, but I am all about perfection and usability, so I'm testing more to see if I can tweak anything.

I am also going to offer 4 clip options, YES, I know that's crazy, but I want people to have multiple options.
  • Generic clip, basic longer length 65mm
  • Short clip, nice and short 50mm length
  • Deep carry stainless, or Ti bent for ultra concealed carry if desired.
  • Deep carry + hat clip "S" clip design.
We're going to make it so anyone can swap these out if they want. I also do hear the people wanting a clip reverse of the button. I have tested and I do think this it's perfect, but I may offer an option for us to tap and CNC the clip recessed spot apposite of the button if desired. This will be the "semi-custom" aspect of this light.

The clips will be 100% interchangeable between each model 18650 or 14500 model.

For comparison, here's the difference in 3D of the 18650 vs. 14500 model below:

Attachments

• m0.png
    m0.png
    391.9 KB · Views: 170

ExceedDesigns

Newly Enlightened
fwiw, in some designs the clip is on the opposite side from the switch:
sc53c_n_1.jpg

I find it more comfortable to hold that way, with the clip against my fingers, instead of placing my thumb on top of the clip.

Suggest you consider doing your own ergonomic clip test... before committing to the clip position in your picture. (even though it looks nice in 2D, its not ideal in actual use, imo)

also suggest you consider a slightly raised bezel around the switch (maybe its already there). It helps locate the switch by feel, and adds protection from accidental activation in pocket.
Thanks for the message. Yes, I have had some say they want the clip on the apposite side. We may just make this a custom option. I do kinda like being able to identify the the switch inline with the clip, so you just always know how to find it easily. I am trying to figure out a way to have a clip that can be adjusted without indexing anything. User could customize the location, but haven't yet found a clean and minimal way to do it. Still trying to figure this out, but we may launch a preliminary pre-order batch to first see what people think of what we have so far. I have been working a lot on copper pill inserts and much more. Exciting stuff to show everyone soon! — Thank you for your feedback however!

ExceedDesigns

Newly Enlightened
I would consider purchasing if it had these features:
- very low moonlight (0.01 lumen like Zebralight and HDS), with a shortcut to turn it on moonlight from off when I need to, predictability is important
- ramping UI must have the right speed up/down to precisely choose the level needed, some UIs I have used start too slow then change to too fast, it's hard to use
- potted and rugged electronics
- high quality electronics components and switches (reliability)
- Nichia 519A 4500K high CRI
- option to run lithium primaries (2x CR123) even if at reduced power (they have a nominal 1.5A continuous current limit)
- low voltage warning
- if possible, the ability to check the battery's state of charge
Good points.

Most of the above points I have covered. Still confirming the POTTED ability and battery state of charge.

We already have low voltage warning, and ability to use different battery type in both our 18650 AND 14500 models, so this should be good.

The electronics however are rugged so far and I created a serviceable bezel with a key that I will sell and will also sell replacement chip boards so anyone can mod things etc. "potting" could be done, but not sure if I will do that yet. I am trying to keep these affordable as I can at first especially with Titanium being the core used.

Our copper core boards + copper pill design is also coming along nicely. This light is NOT easy to make, but it's really exciting to see how it's coming along. Check my latest post in just a few minutes with photos of the new 14500 and 18650 models. I have a third set of prototypes being made now.

I will keep everyone in the loop! Been working hard on this since the time of this first post.

Thanks again for all the comments and support.

-Josh

ExceedDesigns

Newly Enlightened
For me, I like at least two modes that provide a nice low light and high mode that supports walking and longer battery run times. Low light would be between 10 - 20 & high mode would be 80 - 120. You get extra bonus points if those two modes could be "locked" in. Other power modes are fine; I just want something that is functional for walking the dog at night.

Rocker switch: I am worried about how water that top switch for use in wet conditions.

A good textured is fine; and is in many cases required. A good grip is important in hot & sweaty or high moisture conditions. A "cheat" method is to have a rubberized type insert.

The clip seems a bit bulky, sort of reminds me of a knife clip. If the flashlight can't be easily stuffed into a front pocket; is that clip needed?

Size wise: sometimes smaller is better; sometimes larger. The basic stone wash look works well; as long as rust is not an issue.

Note: The clip installed can provide necessary gripping surface. Even skateboard tape would be effective.

Note 2: too much texture on the flashlight might prevent it to being easily deployed from a pocket.
Thanks for the feedback.

We actually have a tactical mode that will be 100% or 30% locked in. This can be achieved with 10 fast touch on the tail switch. The 2 modes are EDC mode and TAC mode. I will share more details soon, but it's going to be really nice I think!

The ramping mode is really nice and I've personally been enjoying it a lot. You can also just click, instead of holding up/down on the rocker, so it gives different options for choosing your brightness level.

Double click UP gets you to brightest mode and double click DOWN gets you to .1 lumen or less mode. The ramp in either direction.

The button is VERY waterproof, I believe Ip87-88+. Will do official testing soon, but it's an extremely solid tight fit that will not let water or humidity transfer into the housing. There will also be a warranty for those concerned.

ExceedDesigns

Newly Enlightened
I have not heard of a driver that uses multi-cells and both sense the battery type installed that will provide active battery monitoring. I'm not for a multi-cell setup, it requires knowledge that beginners may not possess.
In the little I know, it would require actively setting the battery type ether manually or by means of an external
wireless charging cradle if it were to allow multi cell, multi type batteries and active capacity monitoring.
GL
We can use various cells in either of the versions, for 14500 version light, a AA will work. If you use the 18650, dual CR batteries can work aside from the 18650.

ExceedDesigns

Newly Enlightened
I love the look of this light and the thinking behind it:
  • Rocker-switch ramping
  • Simple, logical UI (No need to learn yet another version of Morse code)
  • No annoying strobes that might engage accidentally (Yes I'm thinking of you, RRT01)
  • Clean lines, no graphics (especially no italic fonts; a subtle logo would be okay)
  • High CRI 519A emitter (3500K - 4500K ideal for me)
  • No built-in charger (that needs an ugly port and may ultimately fail)
A lightly-crenulated head might be nice. Just enough so I can see when I've left in on, not enough to make it look like a Klingon weapon. But that might detract from its clean design, and I can live without it.

For me, the toughest part will be deciding between Al and Ti. Thanks for creating this!
Thanks for the comment. I am working hard on it.

I am posting a few photos soon here showing the 14500 and 18650 versions. This is such a cool light, I can't wait to show everyone more!

The UI is incredibly simple and the tactile feel button really makes this thing addicting to use. We also refined the clip a little so it's a little less chunky. These clip prototypes are coming soon.

I have an engraved logo idea on the left side of the clip, I will post these in the photos. I'd love your feedback, although it is italic haha! I can remove this in the final future batch however.

ExceedDesigns

Newly Enlightened
Pass-Around?
I can guarantee You will get back mucho feedback :).
Have a good holiday weekend everyone
Not sure how I didn't see all these messages, totally my fault. Pre-production has been going good and we are on the 3rd round of final prototypes. Excellent feedback from everyone, I greatly appreciate all the comments, so so helpful for a small time creator in this category. Thank you!

ExceedDesigns

Newly Enlightened
UPDATE on the RAMPANT by ExceedDesigns.

First of all, I am sorry for the long absence on here. I didn't realize I had so many responses and somehow emails were going to spam because I wasn't notified. Either way, I have some exciting news! We now have our third and likely final prototypes. I have some final adjustments to the clip which are coming soon, but for the most part, the design is solid and we have initiated a first small-batch order of both Titanum and aluminum versions for the 18650 and 14500 models.

Here's what's transpired since my last update:
  • Created a new 14500 'mini' version. This is actually one of my favorites due to its ultra-slim and lightweight nature.
  • 519a 4500K High CRI or a SFT40 6500K chip.
  • New custom copper pill design to seat our copper core LED board enables better heat transfer for our Ti and AL models.
  • Color options confirmed will be: 1. Stonewashed Ti 2. Raw Machined Ti 3. Stonewashed Al 4. Jet-Black Al
  • Battery size options will be 14500 (Also works with AA) or 18650 (2X CR123A at more voltage)
  • New serviceable front bezel with 2-knob key and tool which will be available for purchase.
  • New chrome metal reflector option with dual AR coated SAPPHIRE glass lens. I am working hard to make this so users will be able too swap between a TiR, or a true metal reflector style and visa versa. Depending on if they want more spread, or more throw. I think this may be one of the first flashlights ever to have both options all easily swapped within 1 minute or less with the available tool key which I'll likely sell for like $5 bucks. Both TiR and Reflector+Sapphire Glass can be purchased later and will be kept in stock for purchase at anytime.
  • We WILL carry ALL possible replacement LED boards + lenses + gaskets + batteries + 3 different length of clips etc. These parts will be at/near our cost to keep our ecosystem very attractive.
  • We may offer a 3-pin programable chip section to the inner battery facing circuit board (TBA)
  • We made the fully milled GR5 Titanium clip even more minimal (See attached photos) It looks SO much better now I think!
  • We also updated the tactile feel of the button to give it more click factor without sacrificing the high-quality "feel" we want.
  • We also created a 2 mode selection. The way you switch between modes is by touching the rear of button 10X fast clicks. This will switch from MODE_EDC to MODE_TAC. The MODE_EDC will be the preferred mode for me and others, however we have seen people really want a tactical mode with other options. We will likely give them this option, but the main reason I designed this light is for a ultra-minimal idiot-proof light that you could hand to anyone without a manual and they would totally understand it without any prior knowledge.
  • The current EDC_MODE functions with smooth ramping by holding the rocker UP/DOWN after tail switch activation. Tail switch full click turns the light on, or momentary click. The light will memorize any ramping mode you left off at when in the EDC_MODE. You can also double click UP to go into 100% output, or double click down to go into .1% MOONLIGHT mode which is below 1 lumen, or undetectable on the Texas Ace light meter or other light meters.
  • I have been doing some lumen tests and in highest output, this light can heat up when using the titanium model or aluminum model, but the output specs are impressive so far I think.
  • 14500 519A MAX with fully charged battery is 1090 lumens. Very impressive and more than I have seen for 14500. I will continue testing, but likely we'll post specs around 900-1000
  • 18650 with 519A posted a LM of around 1800. I am still doing some testings to see were we want to land on this for max output. The SFT40 6500K will likely have higher output levels, but without the tint that most will want to see.
  • Charging via USB-C on the battery itself (NO external ports)
  • Please email me, or send a message via Facebook or instagram to get on the PRE-ORDER list. We are gettin close to filled on some of the variations from our original customers who previously have bought our V3 utility knife. Pricing should be around $90 for 14500 and around $120 for the 18650 in FULL Ti. If you're going for aluminum, it'll likely be around -$30 or more less on pre-order. MSRP will jump around 35-40% after pre-order for me to really be profitable much at all.
I think this is all I have for now, but now here's for the photos:

(Note: New clip is only in 3D stage and should have samples soon. What you can see now is the more "chonky" clip which has now since been improved and doesn't sit as proud on the light barrel now. We are considering using the "RAMPANG" engraving towards the rear of the light. We will likely opt our of the "E" on the clip as seen in photos. Didn't turn out as clean as I wanted, so will remove this on production.

Have more feedback? Let me know, I am still listening and we have 2 more weeks likely before things are set in stone.

DSC09449.jpg
DSC09448.jpg
DSC09400.JPG
DSC09384.jpg
190DCE64-EF5F-4ECE-BC99-76162C01018D.JPG
DSC09142-2.jpg
2E848297-382B-4C7F-AFC9-B24AC746E478.JPG
CB3FAA7F-0952-42A0-940D-6B355842F765.JPG
ABE9469A-8674-4FDD-8C6C-83F24CB33092.JPG

Attachments

• CFA65DA6-059B-4130-89DA-AEB12A329814.JPG
    CFA65DA6-059B-4130-89DA-AEB12A329814.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 02BF1DAD-83BE-44AB-9DCF-77714F5424D3.JPG
    02BF1DAD-83BE-44AB-9DCF-77714F5424D3.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC09382.JPG
    DSC09382.JPG
    312.6 KB · Views: 56

ExceedDesigns

Newly Enlightened
Pre-production samples should be dropped directly on the rocker switch, simultaneously hitting both ends of the switch from a meter up onto concrete. (Another reason why I suggested a 'corral' protecting the rocker)
I'be been hitting this thing with a hammer and doing all sorts of abuse... I don't know that anything I have done has done anything because all prototypes are functioning perfect still... I will have a warranty on these that should be very good. I don't anticipate any issues, especially since our manufacturer is also well versed in creating products known for longevity. The rocker circuit board is backed around the edges and somewhat in the middle also, so it's fairly solid.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Josh,
A Pre-drill/mill opposite clip orientation as shown, additionally at 180 degrees, will allow user's to change orientation of the clip to button. Look forward to hearing more on your copper heatsink tests and drivers. Interested for sure.
Rock On
GL