Seeking flashlight or drop-in recommendations

russwm

Newly Enlightened
I am thinking about buying a flashlight for my father for father's day, but have a dilemna. He is a 2nd generation farmer, who believes in buying American. How he ended up with a son who drives a Nissan and owns several Fenix flashlights is just one of those mysteries of nature.

For the most part, all he has had are maglites. I would like to get him a Fenix T1 or TK10 because of the 60/225 lumen modes, but am not sure if he will use a flashlight made in China. I want something durable and with a very high mode, but with a lower, but still bright mode for longer runtime. It would be primarily for use on his farm and ranch, and would spend its life in a pickup going down bumpy, dusty roads.

I am willing to consider either a flashlight that comes close to fitting the bill, or a P60 drop-in for a Surefire 6P or 9P with a drop-in. I think I can get by if the drop-in is not made in America, as long as the body is. My other requirements are no rechargeable batteries and no programmable modes. If it uses either of those, it will spend the rest of its life in a closet, just like the first answering machine I bought him. :shakehead

I have thought about a maglite with an LED drop-in, but I think I want to get him something smaller, and I do want modes similar to the T1/TK10.

By the way, I am thinking about taking beamshots for a comparison of the Malkoff M60, Malkoff M60L, Wolf-eyes HO D26, BOG Q5 Super Premium, Solarforce Q5, Fenix T1 and Fenix P3D. If anyone is interested I will post it when I am done.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Its the least you can do, considering all of the money I have spent since finding this website. :eek:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
How about getting him a drop-in for his Maglites?

As for Made in US, I think a 6P with drop-in should work well. I'd use the M60L for a good balance of output and runtime.

Or maybe you can buy him a Fenix and not tell him where it was made. But that would be naughty.

Brigadier

Enlightened
NovaTac 85T. $100 at Lighthound.

.3, 10, 85 TORCH lumens.

Buy him a dozen CR123's, and he'll be set for a long time.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lights from Streamlight, Peak, and Pelican are USA made and have good reputation for quality, without being too expensive. Those companies have good warranty/replacement policies, too. Plenty of selection among those companies. Inova used to fit there also, but recent reports seem to indicate they have gone down a bit, but they can be had in retail stores.

Last edited: