Cree & SSC P4 Heatsinked Sandwiches

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Still interest in Sandwiches? I made up some more heatsinked sandwiches. Mainly wanted to share the Cree sandwich, the Seoul sandwiches I've posted before.

This Seoul sandwich didn't come out as good as the ones I sold previously. I'm going to swap the USXOH with a U2SWOI. I'll post beamshots compared to the Cree after if anyone is interested.

I'm very happy with this Cree sandwich. I couldn't find a suitable reflector for the Cree that would fit in a Minimag so I modified an IMS20 to work with it. The beam looked like Saturn so I sputtered the reflector to smooth it out. No more rings! It's currently the brightest sandwich I have.

Q5-WC GD917 & USXOH GD917
Img_2312.jpg

Img_2324.jpg

R2-WG Flupic Sandwich
Img_3576.jpg

Img_3593.jpg

Img_3583.jpg

Img_2368.jpg

Left: GD917 Q5-WC Sputtered IMS20, Right: GD917 USXOH IMS20
sputteredIMS20_GD917_Q5WC_IMS20_GD9.jpg

Left: GD917 Q5-WC Sputtered IMS20, Right: Fenix P2D Q5 Turbo Mode
GD917_Q5WC_sputteredims20_P2D_Q5.jpg

Thanks for looking. :wave:

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent work!

I like the notches in the XR-E. The Cree IMO, looks alot better in the MM and looks much cleaner than the P4.

Did you pot those with 2 ton epoxy?

Last edited:

marcdilnutt

Enlightened
They look great, i have been waiting for someone to make Cree sandwiches. Good work!

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

Spencer & momonbubu. I won't be building a lot of these heatsinked ones since they're very time consuming but I'll contact you guys when I make more if interested. I can make sandwiches for anyone in any configuration you'd like.

Nitroz, yes I potted these with Devcon 2-ton epoxy. I usually pot boards with alumina oxide mixed in too. I like they way the latest "silver" Crees look. I'm so used to using P4s & didn't realize Crees are way brighter than the P4s driven at the same current. I still love P4s though too.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nitroz, yes I potted these with Devcon 2-ton epoxy. I usually pot boards with alumina oxide mixed in too. I like they way the latest "silver" Crees look. I'm so used to using P4s & didn't realize Crees are way brighter than the P4s driven at the same current. I still love P4s though too.

Thanks for the reply.

The clear devcon looks nice and clean. Great work!

lumafist

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Woof...!!" number 2 this day.......:twothumbs

This is amazing stuff you built here William...!

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both sammies look nice, nice, NICE!

Rather than complain in your BST thread about how much I'd like it, but can't afford it right now, I'll do it here!... lol. Some heavy expenses recently have me being extremely selective in things that can even be properly justified these days. But that's temporary, and I'll be back with a vengence. :devil:

One thing I noticed about the Cree version is that the electrical vias near the corners are almost ground off, but not quite. Another 0.5mm or so would have them completely gone, 100% ensuring electrical isolation, thereby allowing the thinnest possible layer of AA.

Most Minimag sammies, especially the older ones, have not been heatsinked. The extra metal on these is a welcome addition. Very nice work, DZ!

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Both sammies look nice, nice, NICE!

Rather than complain in your BST thread about how much I'd like it, but can't afford it right now, I'll do it here!... lol. Some heavy expenses recently have me being extremely selective in things that can even be properly justified these days. But that's temporary, and I'll be back with a vengence. :devil:

One thing I noticed about the Cree version is that the electrical vias near the corners are almost ground off, but not quite. Another 0.5mm or so would have them completely gone, 100% ensuring electrical isolation, thereby allowing the thinnest possible layer of AA.

Most Minimag sammies, especially the older ones, have not been heatsinked. The extra metal on these is a welcome addition. Very nice work, DZ!

No problem. I just got 10 more heatsinks so if you're ever interested in a build let me know. I'm going to build some flupic cree sandwiches next. Doesn't seem like anyone is really interested in sandwiches anymore though. Not even one hit on this cree sandwich that I have up for sale right now. :whistle:

I didn't want to cut more off the ceramic base then I had to.The cree is 100% electricaly isolated . I removed the entire positive side pad on the bottom before attaching the cree so there is no worry. I always like to use the least amount of thermal epoxy as possible. The emitter was actually making ground contact with the heatsink even before I connected the negative side.

Thanks fellas. :wave:

gunga

Flashaholic
Your sandwiches are beautiful, but I can see it being a hard sell these days.

For similar money, new Fenix's etc can be purchased.
But man, for a minmag mod, these are sooooo nice.
Ugh, want one...

:ohgeez:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Your sandwiches are beautiful, but I can see it being a hard sell these days.

For similar money, new Fenix's etc can be purchased.
But man, for a minmag mod, these are sooooo nice.
Ugh, want one...

:ohgeez:

Very true, I really didn't think about it. I really just love building stuff like this. I build so many that I end up with too many. I guess I'll just drop another $10 a take a bit of a loss. Lower than that I guess I will just have to keep them. Thank you for pointing that out. :thumbsup:

Swagg

Enlightened
Hey DZ, that new one looks awesome. I would love to buy it but I'll have to wait for awhile.

The original GD917 pictured on the right is like one I bought from him and it is bright! I had to use it at a wedding and someone actually said "man that light is too bright" so needless to say I really like it.