Is there an 18650 size light with a spill as wide as a Mag C or D?

cheetokhan

Enlightened
I've got a pretty good collection of lights now and find that I generally reach for the 18650 sizes most. My favorites would be my Eastward YJ-XAQ5 (I really like this light), VB-16, or Lumapower MRV. Lights with a body around 1" in diameter and around 6" in length just feel right to me.

I'm doing some remodeling in the house right now, using my lights quite a bit, and I find that the beam from my Mag 3D with a Malkoff drop-in and KD MOP reflector is the most useful. It has a much wider spill than any of my 18650 size lights. It isn't noticeably brighter than the three 18650 lights I mentioned above, and the hot spot is about the same width and intensity, but the spill is much wider, which I really like. Only problem is, the Mag 3D is a monster compared to my 18650 size lights. It's just too darn big. I want something I can stick in my pocket.

I tried removing the head from my Eastward and running it as a pure flood light. I didn't like it. It gave me a super wide spill, but I really missed having a hot spot. For what I'm doing, a pure flood just isn't as useful.

I read several reviews on the multi Cree emitter lights, but they all seem to be set up for throw and I want spill.

So, does anyone make a flashlight around 1" in diameter and around 6" long, preferably running on 18650 batteries, that has a beam like a Mag? One with a moderate hot spot and a really wide spill?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
That would mean a shallower reflector.

I think the Ultrafire C2 has a pretty shallow reflector, but I'm not sure if it's shallow enough to have the same kind of spill pattern as a Maglite.

cheetokhan

Enlightened
That would mean a shallower reflector.

I think the Ultrafire C2 has a pretty shallow reflector, but I'm not sure if it's shallow enough to have the same kind of spill pattern as a Maglite.

The reviews at DX look pretty good for the UF C2. And it's a Q5, which is a big plus. I may add one to my next order and give it a try.

cheetokhan

Enlightened
Got my Ultrafire C2 from DX today. Their part# 9631. It does have a wider spill than most of my lights, but still not as wide as a Mag.
The light I received was really weak, only drawing about 350ma from the battery. I replaced the stock driver with DX part# 3256. A perfect fit and now it's much brighter, drawing around 850ma.
I'd still like to find a light with an even wider spill but, this one will do for now.

labrat

Enlightened
I don't have a Mag C or D, only a Mag Charger.
A Surefire E2e, with a Leef or Mirage_Man body for 18650 cell, a FM E2e Bi-Pin socket and a Strion bulb have bigger spill than the Mag Charger, a tinier "hot-spot", and a lower output.
But enough output for the use you suggest!

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
The Wolf-Eyes Sniper Q5 has a nice wide spill beam, however, the regulation of this flashlight is not so good using a 18650. Although this claims to be 260 lumens it's closer to 237 lumens. Or you can buy a Leef body for your Surefire 6P or C2 and Wolf-Eyes D26 drop in module available in both Q5 and R2 WG bin.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I've got a pretty good collection of lights now and find that I generally reach for the 18650 sizes most. My favorites would be my Eastward YJ-XAQ5 (I really like this light), VB-16, or Lumapower MRV. Lights with a body around 1" in diameter and around 6" in length just feel right to me. ... So, does anyone make a flashlight around 1" in diameter and around 6" long, preferably running on 18650 batteries, that has a beam like a Mag? One with a moderate hot spot and a really wide spill?
Gunner12 is spot on about the shallow reflector. This one is from the early days of the SSC craze, but seems to describe what you are after:
https://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=1339

I reviewed that light compared to an SSC-modded version of the original lux model here:
DX shootout: JYE Wide SSC vs Vika Wide with SSC mod

As you see if you scroll down the review, the beam profile is very similar to my 3D mag focused for max throw. And it's an Eastward light of the right form factor.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
I know exactly what you are looking for... fortunately I have one! :nana: It's the Ledean Aspheric Mag with out the aspherical lens and runs on 18650. I'm lucky enough to be able to acquire this before Ledean stopped modding lights.

When the aspheric light was all the hype about a year ago, I got one just to try it myself. While I'm amazed at the throw capability of this light with the aspheric lens, it's not very useful for every day use. So I removed the aspheric lens put a UCL lens and a Malkoff stippled reflector and I discovered a very bright floody light.

This was my go to light, I can light up a room with this because this is just all flood. It doesn't look tactical and it's small, I can fit it in my pocket. I suggest you find a modder here and ask them if they can make one for you or just ask Gene to make a C cell drop in that can run on 18650 and have your C Mag cutoff to that size.

cheetokhan

Enlightened
Selfbuilt, thanks for the links. I hadn't noticed those lights before. I tend to avoid the smooth reflectors and prefer the OP reflectors, but I guess that's not so much an issue with the SSC LEDs as it is with the CREE LEDs.
While I was looking at the JYE-3W at DX, I noticed they have more than one version. This one looks pretty good to me since it has a hex shaped bezel so I can set it down to free up my hands and not worry about it rolling away.
It's out of stock right now, but I'll get one when they have more.

cheetokhan

Enlightened
Stitch_paradox, you are correct, that's pretty much what I'm looking for :thumbsup:
I really like the beam I get from my Malkoff Mag drop-in with an OP reflector, just want a smaller, shorter body. And the Mag has the big plus of being a side clicky, which I think is far more comfortable to operate than a tail clicky.
I've been looking at all the available parts for modding a Mag and I may just get Jesus Hernandez to cut me down a Mag C body, or two :D