Novatac emitter upgrade Question.

Rat6P

Enlightened
Hi,
I know that several people have already upgraded the emitters in their novatac lights with fantastic results in brightness. But a couple of things I'm interested in havnt really been talked about that much (as far as I can see).

I have a novatac my self and would like to do the emitter swap...so what is the best emitter available at this time???
Would it be a worthwhile upgrade to an 85P?

Secondly, I was looking for some feed back on the novatacs that have had the emitter changed. Anyone who has such a light if it is possible could you share a bit of info?
I am looking for comparisons of a stock Novatac and an upgraded one. Now I know there are beamshots of max output somewhere here (and I am still interested in more of these:popcorn:...always)..............................
But what I would like to see is some beamshot comparisons on the lowest levels. Or any info on how the lowest levels have been affected. brightness, runtimes etc anything?
Any help at all....... Cheers!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Novatac lights are already using one of the current gen LEDs. There are a few brighter Seoul P4 LEDs but you won't notice much difference.

Some HDS lights have bee upgraded because they use the Luxeon III LED but the Novatac already uses the Seoul P4 LED and there aren't any upgrades available.

I think the 85 is just programmed not to have 120 lumen instead of using a less powerful LED.

Rat6P

Enlightened
Cheers for the reply Gunner.

I see your point about the emitters already being current gen

I guess after hearing that people had had some success in swapping the emitters in their novatcs..and getting increased brightness. I was curious at how the lower levels would now behave.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you put in a SSC P4 V bin when they come out. All levels will be brighter, including the low levels. The only way around that would be to also install a new driver.:sigh:

Last edited:

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Howdy,

Can anybody tell me what the 120P drives the current at, on high? I haven't been able to find this anywhere. If we knew that, then we could look at the specs of newer leds, and make a more educated guess as to how much brighter they will be (before we violate a lifetime warranty for 10 or 12 more lumens:oops:--just my opinion).

FWIW, Milkyspit replaced the stock emitter in a NovaTac for me, with a K2 TFFC. This was done for color and beam quality rather than brightness. I think I gained a few lumens in the process, however:devil:.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy,

Can anybody tell me what the 120P drives the current at, on high? I haven't been able to find this anywhere. If we knew that, then we could look at the specs of newer leds, and make a more educated guess as to how much brighter they will be (before we violate a lifetime warranty for 10 or 12 more lumens:oops:--just my opinion).

FWIW, Milkyspit replaced the stock emitter in a NovaTac for me, with a K2 TFFC. This was done for color and beam quality rather than brightness. I think I gained a few lumens in the process, however:devil:.

The drive level is close to 700mA. How do I know? Because the old HDS on average are brighter than NTs and Henry said along time ago that he drives the LED to spec or close to.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Thanks.

I just missed the HDS boat. At the time, I was not yet crazy enough to spend $300 on a flashlight.

The drive level is close to 700mA. How do I know? Because the old HDS on average are brighter than NTs and Henry said along time ago that he drives the LED to spec or close to.