Need an Explosion Proof light

BrokenMosin

Newly Enlightened
New job - I need an explosion proof light. I'm looking for High lumens and low cost.
Streamlight and Pelican are the only two companies I know of. Any others?

The Streamlight ProPolymer (for example) is in the lead right now. It states a rating of 67 lumens while the Pelican lights are rated at about 35 lumens, and cost a good bit more.

Any other options out there?

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to clarify for future posting, by "explosion-proof" you mean a light that is rated by UL/CE as non-sparking/non-hazardous? In that case Streamlight, Pelican, and I believe Underwater Kinetics are the way to go. All three make good quality lights and design some for firefighters and others who work in hazardous locations.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are basically the only three companies that I know of that makes quality polymer flashlights.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Intrinsically safe is the term used in Australia, searching for that term may help.
Norm

Size15's

Flashaholic
Find out from your safety rep whether a flashlight certified to a specific ATEX [European] standard can also be used. This may expand your search.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
hi & welcome to CPF,

the Streamlight 4AA you mentioned has a bulb module of 7-LEDs. its ideal for flood but not too good for 'throw'. there is another 4AA LED Luxeon that does throw very well, with a spill beam for walking around.

the centre hotspot of the 4AA Luxeon reaches further than my Pelican M6 2390! :thumbsup:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Does the Surefire Nitrolon series count? With the plastic body and lexan window, I should imagine they are explosion safe. Just do not get the LED version with the metal bezel.
Unless it is certified (and that usually requires the product to be marked in a specific way) then one can not assume it is 'safe'.
In fact in Europe it would likely be illegal to issue and/or use an uncertified (or modified) tool (work equipment) where it is required to be ATEX certified.

In general 'safe' products tend to have their output performance reduced to ensure the product runs cool, has enhanced durability and resistance to failure.
There are also issues over 'safe failure' - what happens when the bulb breaks or the batteries vent etc, or the body or window is damaged etc

This brings us to whether CR123A batteries can be 'safe' given their track record and powerful nature.

Al

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
No mike, not even close. Hazardous location flashlights are rated as such, and are guaranteed to not create an explosion hazard due to released gas or sparking. Pelican lights rated for this actually have a catalyst inside to prevent hydrogen released from alkaline batteries from building up.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) rated lights. Koehler makes a series of MSHA-rated lights, which are "certified" to be safe for use in explosive atmospheres. Briteguy.com has some, and I have this exact light, but it's a pretty standard 2D incan. These are the only ones I have direct experience with... the Div 1/MSHA lights are hard to find!

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious, are there any metal flashlights that can qualify, or plastic/'polymer' only?
I believe the very fact that they are made of metal is enough to rule them out.

Drop polymer light on metal surface = nothing.
Drop metal light on metal surface = sparks = :poof:

Brownstone

Enlightened
Unless it is certified (and that usually requires the product to be marked in a specific way) then one can not assume it is 'safe'.

Al is very much correct. Additionally, not only can you not assume an uncertified light is safe, you cannot assume a certified light is safer than the certification says.

Example: An UL Class I, Div I, Group C&D flashlight cannot assumed to be safe under UL Class I, Div I, Group A or Group B conditions.

5kids

Newly Enlightened
The Streamlight Propolymer was my first LED light (Costco about 4-5 years ago). The streamlight is OK, but has no throw and is pretty weak by today's standards. I also have a Pelican 2460 (4xAA rechargeable LED) light that I personally use at work and purchased another for my technician. I didn't need an intrinsically safe light, but the run time on this light is about 3 hours and not having to mess with batteries is a real plus.
The main reason I purchsed 2 of these lights (besides having work pay for feeding my flashlight addiction) was because they are waterproof and can be washed down of any chemicals that may get on them.
I just checked the specs, and they're only FM approved, however the same light in the 3660 "little ed" right angle version has more approval. My suggestion would be for a rechargeable so you always have the brightest light possible without and having primary batteries get increasingly weak and leave youe with a useless light at the worst time.
I would also consider a smaller "approved" backup light so you're never without light.
The recoil LED provides a pretty good spot, but a poor flood. As soon as I find some heat sink adhesive, I'm going to swap in a SSC.

Last edited:

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also depending on how important it is for you to follow that requirement, you will not be able to use anything but the specified battery and lamp type on the label. My pelican specifically says "Warning: UL, MSHA, CSA, and FM approved for use with two Eveready #E91 size "AA" Alkaline cells and lamp module #2304 only". *edit* So if you want rechargable you'll likely need to find a light that's rated for their use.

Size15's

Flashaholic
One of the reasons why the flashlights tend to have lower output is because they tend to have longer runtime as a result. This helps reduce the need or temptation to replace the batteries whilst the product is being used.

In many instances it is strictly against the operational instructions to open the flashlight [to replace the batteries] in the area where the safety certified products are required. It would also be against the rules to carry spare batteries or the storage and transportation of them will be strictly controlled.

The flashlight (and other certified products) will be tested and certified for use with specific batteries (brand / size / type / chemistry etc). Using rechargeable batteries instead of primaries would be considered a modification and the product be uncertified - not fit for use.

A good point regarding the ability of the flashlight to handle contamination, and handle the ability to be decontaminated.

Regarding whether metal flashlights can be certified - it is more difficult. I believe that high quality HA is both non-conducting and non-sparking, as well as resistant to many chemicals. I'm not aware of any metal flashlights that are certified though.

Al