Is this a fake Surefire?

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Norm,

I was discussing this with yclo the other day, it seems to be a good copy of SF clone, probably coming from the same factory as the SF M3 clone. The M961 never have a CREE in it.

I don't like the way it was advertised.
"This is exactly the same flashlight from Surefire, except this doesn't not have the Surefire logo."

And look at the title says "Surefire M961..." clearly it's a 'trap'.

Comon all Surefire fans report to ebay now, and bring it down!!!
item number: 370054584488

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire doesn't use a "factory." As I understand it they do pretty much everything in house on their own, or I guess you could say they have their own factory. Therefore I doubt it came from the same factory as real SF lights.

RadarGreg

Enlightened
I've been to the Surefire factory, and there is not an assembly line turning out real Surefire lights and one turning out fakes. Some special lights, like ones with the strike bezel or the porcupine, were produced outside the US, but those are the exceptions. The CNC machines are running constantly out in Fountain Valley, CA, producing their Surefire products. Really cool stuff to watch.

Aluminous

Enlightened
For future reference to help with spotting more fakes once this auction is gone, here is a copy of the fraudulent listing:

Surefire M961 R2 CREE LED Tactical Flashlight 300 Lumen

Listed in category: Sporting Goods > Outdoor Sports > Hunting > Scopes, Optics & Lasers > Lights & Lasers
Item location: Marshall's Military Products, Hong Kong

NEW Surefire M961 OEM R2 CREE LED Tactical Flashlight 300 Lumens Millennium Universal Tactical Light Set

We have only 10 flashlights in stock and won't get anymore after sold all of them (10 out of 10). This is the last one!

This is exactly the same flashlight from Surefire, except this doesn't not have the Surefire logo.

Additional $10.00 (shipped) for this Pressure Switch

* Retail price is over $350.00 USD
* Widely used by Military and Armed Forces
* Brand New
* CREE R2 Bulb -300 Lumens
* LED color temperature: 7000K
* On/Off Power Switch button
* Bulb life: up to 100,000 hours
* Water & Scratch Resistance Glass Lens
* Material: Aluminum Housing, extra Strong Shock Absorption ability
* Color Metallic Silver
* Powered by 3X CR123A

Retail Price is over $300.

Specification
· Weight: 195g (without Battery)
· Approx. 30 mm in diameter & 195 mm long
· CREE Bulb 300 lumens

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've been to the Surefire factory, and there is not an assembly line turning out real Surefire lights and one turning out fakes. Some special lights, like ones with the strike bezel or the porcupine, were produced outside the US, but those are the exceptions. The CNC machines are running constantly out in Fountain Valley, CA, producing their Surefire products. Really cool stuff to watch.
Are you 100% certain that the Porcupines were "produced outside the US"?
They are made specifically for an Asian SureFire Dealer that's all.
The only differences are the Porcupine Strike Bezel (recently in Stainless Steel) and laser etching. All done at SureFires facilities in the USA.

RadarGreg

Enlightened
It was about a half year ago, but a certain engineer at SF we both know said the strike bezel versions were made for the SEALs who needed an entry light with a bit more "teeth" than a E2D. Since it was a it more threatening a product than they would normally produce, it was produced elsewhere. Their facility in CA could certainly produce the porcupine or anything else for that matter. I may have misunderstood him as I was in awe at the tour, so please forgive me if I'm mistaken. CNC machining is done at the Fountain Valley facility, but anodizing is outsourced due to environmental restrictions.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I believe you misunderstood. I've heard the same story...
The concept of such an aggressive Strike Bezel was not taken forward for general production but it caught the eye of SureFire fans in Asia and SureFire produced limited batches for elsewhere (an Asian SureFire Dealer/Distributor has the exclusive deal on Porcupine editions)
I know that SureFire produced the L2-PP in-house because PK said they didn't bother to tumble the Stainless Steel Porcupine ring so that its edges would be 'sharp' - I have one and indeed it is 'sharp' compared to my L6-PP.

I understand it is normal for companies to use dedicated anodising firms due to the strict safety and environmental regulations etc required. It's a messy and dangerous business. SureFire ensure the very best performance from the subcontractors they use. The anodising is done in the USA by a firm not too far from SureFire I believe.

Al

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
I understand it is normal for companies to use dedicated anodising firms due to the strict safety and environmental regulations etc required. It's a messy and dangerous business. SureFire ensure the very best performance from the subcontractors they use. The anodising is done in the USA by a firm not too far from SureFire I believe.

Al

I agree with this. If the anodizing is outsourced then they wouldn't be able to call their products "Made in the USA" (I learned that from the other thread), thus losing the US military contract. But we all know who provides the illumination tools of the US military.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with this. If the anodizing is outsourced then they wouldn't be able to call their products "Made in the USA" (I learned that from the other thread), thus losing the US military contract. But we all know who provides the illumination tools of the US military.
Deleted - just woke up

Size15's

Flashaholic
I assume you mean 'outsourced outside the USA' would be an issue.
Outsourced does not imply 'not in the USA' - it simply means not done in-house - work is subcontracted.

Al

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
I assume you mean 'outsourced outside the USA' would be an issue.
Outsourced does not imply 'not in the USA' - it simply means not done in-house - work is subcontracted.

Al

yes that what I meant: Subcontracted. Still good to know that it's 100% made here.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Between Orange County and the south half of LA there are ~20 anodizers who bother to advertise on MSN yellow pages. (A couple I've used didn't show.) I've used at least 6 of them in the last 30 years. I visited a Vacuum metallizer in Santa Ana who had some SF reflectors among other things, on the rep's desk! It's hardly "outsourcing!" I reside ~10mi from SF, and haven't yet made the time to take PK up on the offer of a tour. :(

Larry (Typing on a brand new keyboard cuz my olde one took a dump today.)

pbs357

Enlightened
"This is exactly the same flashlight from Surefire except it doens't have the logos"... or the lifetime warranty...or the same quality of build... and scratch the fact that it has an LED. BUT IT'S EXACTLY THE SAME FLASHLIGHT. BLAH BLAH BLAH. It's such crap when people do stuff like this.:thumbsdow

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
the saddest part about it all is that people dont look into it. they just assume that it is what it says it is. thats why i love this place. we all care enough to say "what? no way":shakehead