Malkoff LED / Reflector

Purrkieset

Newly Enlightened
I just installed my Malkoff 4-5-6 D Cell LED into my 6 Cell Maglite and there is too much "spill" for me. The LED is awesome, I just want it more focused.

I want a totally focused beam, a stream of pure light, maybe I would say spotlight looking? Right now when I focus it the tightest, I still have a large circle of unfocused light surrounding my focused beam. (This is the best I can explain it without taking pictures, I can take pictures tonight though).

I'm using the Standard Reflector Gene sells on his website pre-cut.

Is my solution looking into a new Reflector? If this is the case, does anyone sell a pre-cut Reflector that's purpose is to make a solid beam of light, no spill?

Thanks!

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might as well get the KD Cree and aspheric kit. The Cree in that will be better suited for the lens than the SSC in the malkoff dropin.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
SSC's generally don't throw as well as Cree's, I have a similar situation with my Malkoff in my Mag, I can't get a super tight and clean hot spot. Gene told me some SSC's focus better than others.

I guess you made sure the drop in was properly installed, push down all the way, sitting level, etc? Depending on where the LED sits will effect the beam.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
Right now when I focus it the tightest, I still have a large circle of unfocused light surrounding my focused beam.

What you're describing is the (ugly) spill beam created by the portion of the LED which does not shine on the reflector. It's a characteristic inherent to lights which use forward-facing LEDs in reflectors. The only way to get rid of it is to use some kind of refractive optic rather than a reflector. This can be either an aspheric lens or a TIR optic. Switching reflectors will not help.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Either a optic that does not make spill light or using a fitting lens without the reflector would be the choice. Any light with just a reflector will have some kind of spill.

Gene43

Enlightened
If you're getting a hole in the hotspot its most likely because the dropin is not seated far enough down into the body of the flashlight to allow proper focussing. It should focus to a relatively tight hotspot. Purrkieset I sent you an email.

Thanks, Gene

Purrkieset

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Gene, I did push it down all the way until it stopped.

Does anyone have the link to the KD Aspheric? I would like to purchase one.

curlyfry562

Enlightened
Mine is the same way, a really tight spot, but still significant flood, but it works for me. I hope you find a mod that fits your needs best.

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
Mine focuses well with no hole, etc., but there is still plenty of spill. I like it that way, as it's a more usable light -- for me. As others have stated, the aspheric is probably your best solution.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
Mine is perfect too. If you are looking for the tightest spot (or square ) then you should try the aspheric lens. I used to like my Aspheric mag when it was all the hype, but then it really useless to me due to the tight spot of the light.

JamisonM

Enlightened
Thanks Gene, I did push it down all the way until it stopped.

Does anyone have the link to the KD Aspheric? I would like to purchase one.
IMHO, an aspheric lens isn't really going to help things. If all you absolutely want is a beam of light with no side spill, then they will do give you that with the soul P4 LEDs. Still, when you focus the beam as tight as you can; you will have a very decent throwing light as well as a wide useful side spill thanks to maglites reflector.

Purrkieset

Newly Enlightened
What does it look like? Does it have a donut? Or a tail like a comet?

Gene

Mine looks like a "tennis ball" in the center with a VERY large sphere / circle surrounding it.

Could my LED unit be too far down I'm thinking? Should I unscrew it and let it come up a little?

Gene43

Enlightened
What you are describing sounds about right for this dropin. The only way I know of to get a tighter hardly any spill beam would be to go aspheric as previous posters have stated.

Purrkieset

Newly Enlightened
What you are describing sounds about right for this dropin. The only way I know of to get a tighter hardly any spill beam would be to go aspheric as previous posters have stated.

I'll try to get a picture posted.. I've been busy.

Yeah, I'm thinking about ordering the Aspheric but I would like the protective bezel deal as well and it's not ready yet.