Bigger mAh for Li-ion rechargeables for Wee and LF2X

ruriimasu

Enlightened
Hi guys,
I am just wondering where I can purchase bigger/biggest possible capacity Li-ion rechargeables for:

1) Wee - the original is 90mAh.
2) LF2X - I got one pair from dealextreme at 305mAh.

I hope to get bigger mAh so as to have longer runtimes. Not sure whether there are as my searches returned no positive results :shrug:

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have yet to do any testing with an analyzer, but I can tell you just from experience, that AW's 10440's run something like 30-40% longer in an LF2 than DX's UltraFires. This is from a sampling of only 2 AW's and 4 DX's though. Sorry, can't help you with the Wee.

Dave

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have yet to do any testing with an analyzer, but I can tell you just from experience, that AW's 10440's run something like 30-40% longer in an LF2 than DX's UltraFires. This is from a sampling of only 2 AW's and 4 DX's though. Sorry, can't help you with the Wee.

Dave
At what brightness setting was the test done?

The reason is that runtime in the LF2 is determiend by the time it takes for the cell to run down to 3.0V under load. Even if two cells had the same actual capacity, one with higher internal resistance would hit this cutoff sooner in the case of the LF2 at maximum draw. However, if you were to run them at a lower setting, they'd run for closer to the same period of time.

I have used both, and while I haven't done any quantitative capacity tests, I suspect the biggest difference between DX and AW 10440s is internal resistance, so there will be improved performance, but don't expect 40% more capacity in ALL cases.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with your assessment 2xTrinity. As I said, I have not done any tests on the CBA II, but did do some runtime tests. All the tests were at 25% or higher output. At 100% the AW cells ran for 10 minutes or more before the warning kicked in, and the DX cells ran for about 7 minutes. As I recall, the runs at 50% and 25% were similar in proportion.

Dave

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
I did some runtime tests a while ago with a Cree LF2, got about an hour with AW cells, and 40ish minutes with Ultrafires.

I no longer use the ultrafires. These cells were also longer for some reason and bent the tabs on my nanocharger. Keep that in mind. You can bend the tabs back, but get ride of your ultrafires first!

:shakehead

ruriimasu

Enlightened
So that means the AWs are higher capacity than the ultrafires, and will produce better runtimes? Are there any protected ones, do i need to get a protected one since the LF2X comes with an over discharge function?

And about the Wee, as I had found out recently, li-ion batts should not be over-discharged otherwise they will not be able to charge up. does the Wee have any such built-in over discharge function like the LF2X? I am kind of worried about damaging the batt by over discharging it inadvertently.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently ran my 10180 down to 2.1 volts in my Wee and then charged it up with my coin battery charger to 4.2 volts on Monday. Now it is still reading 4.2 volts so I didn't ruin it....yet....

Karl

ruriimasu

Enlightened
I recently ran my 10180 down to 2.1 volts in my Wee and then charged it up with my coin battery charger to 4.2 volts on Monday. Now it is still reading 4.2 volts so I didn't ruin it....yet....

Karl

karl, did it flicker or show any warning that it was over discharging? symtoms that would make u say to yourself "i gotta switch it off now" :confused:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
So that means the AWs are higher capacity than the ultrafires, and will produce better runtimes? Are there any protected ones, do i need to get a protected one since the LF2X comes with an over discharge function?
The 10440 is too small to fit a protection PCB. That is the main reason WHY the LF2 series has overdischarge protection. The original LF2 also won't draw more current than recommended for a LiIon cell (2C). In the name of making their light "better and brighter" though, they unfortunately increased the peak current on the LF2x, so as a consequence I wouldn't recommend running over 70% when using LiIon with the LF2x.

ruriimasu

Enlightened
The 10440 is too small to fit a protection PCB. That is the main reason WHY the LF2 series has overdischarge protection. The original LF2 also won't draw more current than recommended for a LiIon cell (2C). In the name of making their light "better and brighter" though, they unfortunately increased the peak current on the LF2x, so as a consequence I wouldn't recommend running over 70% when using LiIon with the LF2x.

2xTrinity, how can i know it is running over 70% with naked eye? any symtoms to look out for?

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
2xTrinity, how can i know it is running over 70% with naked eye? any symtoms to look out for?
When in the programming mode to select brightness, default will be 50%. It takes 8 seconds to ramp up from 50% to 100%, and hte progression is linear, so try to let it "ramp up" for around 3 seconds or so, then save it.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
karl, did it flicker or show any warning that it was over discharging? symtoms that would make u say to yourself "i gotta switch it off now" :confused:

Do you mean when I was using the Wee? No, the beam merely got dimmer. Now, despite the fact that I have all three of the light engines for my Wee (the 25, the 50 and the 80) so far, I only have used the 25 so my experience with the discharging is with it. My use of the light has been over the course of the past 2 months or so has been with intermitent on-off cycles on not lasting longer than a minute, possibly two. Just to give you an idea of how the light is used....the charger I used on this little 90ma cell is a coin celler charger from a place called Powerstream technology. The charger is supposed to indicate when the cell is fully charged (I believe) although there were no instructions which came with the charger. Mine did not indicate the battery was charged rather I checked it periodically with a DMM.

Karl

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
As usual, trustfire cells are of better quality than ultrafires. If you can find trustfire 10440 they would probably work rather better.

ruriimasu

Enlightened
i just received my ultrafire 10440s and a trustfire charger from DX. funny thing is, the mAH stated on the 10440 is 600mAH. It was supposed to be 500mAH although I heard from fellow members here the actual capacity is around 320mAH. So did i get a new model or they just print any mAH they like?