Dome light for car?

Hellbore

Enlightened
I want to add some LED dome / map lights to the interior of my car. I would like to have several LED's at different locations to provide more even lighting inside the cabin of the car vs. the stock dome light which casts a lot of shadows and really doesn't illuminate the back at all.

I have the LED and driver parts figured out but I'm looking for something I can use for an aftermarket enclosure / housing. Preferrably it would be small and flat on the back to aid mounting and have a diffuser lense of some kind. Any ideas?

coolwaters

Newly Enlightened
i heard people were moding all their lights to LEDs. and decreasing something like 300w to 40s...pretty nice

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at the pictures here.

Might be a good idea to peruse the local junkyards, because a lot of economy cars have just this kind of dome light as stock--some even with a three way switch (off, door switched, on). The switch is important because the thermonuclear blast of just three stars running off a Kennan will definitely overwhelm night-adapted eyes, and if you then add even more dome lights...

I like to thermal epoxy stars directly to the car body steel, but at a more reasonable <350mA drive level even a star with no thermal path will probably do OK.

coolwaters

Newly Enlightened
lol 1w+ led seem to be overkill for interior lights. some superflux or a few 5mm leds should work fine and they dont need to be mounted to heatsinks.

shortstack

Enlightened
6 or 8 10mm leds work perfect. 5mm are to small. 1w might be over kill, but if you can put it in there then i would do it.

NE450No2

Enlightened
I have spent a fair amount of time in a vehicle on the road, in the dark.

I use a Petzl led head light with 3 different levels of brighteness.

Where ever I look, the level of brightness I have selected is there.

voodoochylde

Newly Enlightened
I haven't added any extra light positions but I did replace my wedge dome light in my 1999 Subaru Impreza with two Cree XR-E Q5's driven at 1A...

Hid the driver and capacitor behind the dome light assembly (facing the roof) and squished in a slim 30mm fan behind the two LED's.

Output is...well...somewhat bright. Lights up the whole car (plus most of the surrounding area) with one light source.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little fan is a good idea. I reduced my twin P4 setup from 750 mA to 500 mA because of heat.

Got any photos?

voodoochylde

Newly Enlightened
I don't have any pix at the moment but I'll try to get some. It's nothing special...no real attachment except for a semi-liberal application of Tac-Pack to hold the driver and LED's in place. The fan is just held in with some 4-40 screws.

I used fans as I wanted full output but with no 'sink the LED's were going from ambient (around 60*F) to over 200*F in less than 20 seconds. Sometimes I like to read in my car so I needed to cool these little buggers down!

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That makes me feel better about mine - without the car's original plastic diffuser in place while testing at 750 mA they were getting up to about that temperature after 4 or 5 minutes. Poor LEDs.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you want exactly 2x the light? What do you have at the moment?

BTW, you might like to change the "https" to "http" in that last one.

mikek753

Newly Enlightened
Do you want exactly 2x the light? What do you have at the moment?

BTW, you might like to change the "https" to "http" in that last one.

not exact, just about - need from 1.5x to 4x more light
I have old plain 12V 8W bulb

tnx

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally wouldn't bother with the 9 LED one since the 12 LED version is only 17 cents more. So do you want lots of light (12 LEDs), or lots of light (20 LEDs)? And how much do you want to splash out on it?

mikek753

Newly Enlightened
I personally wouldn't bother with the 9 LED one since the 12 LED version is only 17 cents more. So do you want lots of light (12 LEDs), or lots of light (20 LEDs)? And how much do you want to splash out on it?

this isn't about price, but some reports about 12 LED version started coming with 3 resistors only instead of 12.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I completely fail to see any problem. If you don't like the 12 LED version and you have the money for the 20 LED version then buy it instead. Or go for a dimmer and cheaper 9 LED version. Does it really matter that much?

Or you could do it "properly" and build your own.