Malkoff M60 question...

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Curious, how shock-impact resistant is it? How resistant is it to vibration? Any reports of rifle-mount failure. I am thinking about using it with my 6P as a mountain bike light.

thanks

Last edited:

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
The electronics appear to be encapsulated in solid epoxy so that shouldn't be an issue. The only thing I could think of that might be a problem is the optic getting knocked loose as I don't know how it's secured. I'm sure gene has taken care of any problems and the data sheet for that optic says it's vibration proof, so take that as you will.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
The Malkoff M60 is a solid piece drop in. Use one of the shock bezel of surefire for more impact/ shock resistant light. I think it will make a great bike light. I use this shock isolated bezel for my M60.

Surefire Z32:
7992_1.JPG

matt0

Enlightened
Does the Z32 allow the use of an FM34 beam diffuser? Is it 1.25" diameter like a standard 6P/9P/C3 light?

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
Does the Z32 allow the use of an FM34 beam diffuser? Is it 1.25" diameter like a standard 6P/9P/C3 light?

No the diameter is a tad bigger with the Z32, but if you want a floodier light you can always get the new Malkoff M60F, which is all flood light.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Except Malkoff is out of the flood versions of the light and doesn't appear to be taking any future orders for them. Do I see that wrong?

Gene43

Enlightened
We have been on vacation this past week. I have more of the Flood optics on order and they should arrive Monday or Tuesday. Hopefully I will have more ready before the end of this coming week.

Thanks, Gene

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Except Malkoff is out of the flood versions of the light and doesn't appear to be taking any future orders for them. Do I see that wrong?

Malkoff doesn't take pre-orders and tends to release his products in batches on Mondays. They're off at the beach for the weekend, though...so probably in a week or so, there will be some more available.

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
In my experience, the SI bezel is not necessary. I've been using M60's on rifles and carbines for some time now and have had no issues. My go-to AR has a 9P with M60 and red filter flip-up cap. This drop-in has servived several sets of batteries and a couple of cases of ammo -- including a rather intense 3-day carbine course that took a toll on lots of lesser equipment. I own a couple of Z32's from when I ran incans, but I haven't felt the need to use them with good quality LED drop-ins.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I am thinking about using it with my 6P as a mountain bike light.

A few thoughts:

1) I've had success with this mount (under bars is best):
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1812

2) The drop-in is totally solid, but 16mm batteries rattle like mad! :hairpull:

3) Two CR123's don't last very long, two RCR123's, even less

You can fix 2 & 3 by switching to
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1299

...they just need a tube extension or 9P body.

4) The M60 (spot) is bit narrow for spotting terrain at speed.

Last edited:

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
The trick for batteries is to roll up a tube of paper thick enough to take up the extra space but still allows the batteries to fall in and out. Construction paper works best but you can use almost anything.

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
As a mountain bike light, Gene's new M60F may be exactly what you want. The F uses a 25 degree optic versus the 6 degree in the standard M60. If you are using your bike off pavement, the floody beam would be perfect for picking a line.

Rzr800

Enlightened
In my experience, the SI bezel is not necessary. I've been using M60's on rifles and carbines for some time now and have had no issues. My go-to AR has a 9P with M60 and red filter flip-up cap. This drop-in has servived several sets of batteries and a couple of cases of ammo -- including a rather intense 3-day carbine course that took a toll on lots of lesser equipment. I own a couple of Z32's from when I ran incans, but I haven't felt the need to use them with good quality LED drop-ins.

The more I read about these and for the fact that I believe this guy to be just about as "Mom and appple pie" as they come....it would seem that every present taxpayer funded SureFire customer (save the military) be required to at least prove that these dropins wouldn't do the same job that a brand new light requested would do...before any new PO was released.

It would seem that a good number of our employees don't necessarily need several hundred dollar new lights...rather that their present supplier do some cost saving re-engineering or that (heaven forbid) another supplier simply step in and markedly improve what we already have.

Hats off to Mr. Malkoff for at least attempting to save this country a significant amount of cash while providing what should have been a no-brainer for quite some time now (60 to 70 years ago this concept would have been 'the norm' and proven to be just as effective or more).