• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Who is getting a Sundrop?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you getting a Sundrop? What do you expect? How will you use it?
Do you plan on EDC'ing it?

Hey guys I was Lucky I got my e-mail from Don saying my light has shipped. YEA!!

What about you?

I only expect a small light which is going to give me a nice daylight beam. I will be using it to light macro pictures and maybe night walks (to look at flowers and stuff. I know the beam from the sundrop is unique. I am hoping that the Sundrop makes itself useful to me. I really am behind the idea that we will all be looking for lights with emitters that produce flux which renders colors much better than current emitters do. IMHO the Sundrop and more importantly this particular Nichia 083 HI CRI emitter are an important step in the right direction. I guess I am hoping that this expectation is met by this flashlight/emitter.
I don't think I will EDC it. I am pretty stuck on the Lunasol which is pretty much my ideal EDC.
I also hope to show the sundrop to my director of photography friends to demonstrate to them where LED technology has come to. I am sure they will be interested.
Since I missed the ti clicky pack wave. I am looking forward to having the Sundrop so that I can take advantage of the battery pack to mount other heads upon. This is sort of a dual purpose buy for me.
I hope I like the Sundrop and find it useful.
Yaesumofo

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my SunDrop today at my office. I will be using it primarily in my medical pratice where I have used Don's Mule prototype and loved it. There was no other LED light that came even close to this light for accurate color rendition, so crucial to oral/pharyngeal exmaninations.
I can even write off the expense to the office.:)

I expect the SunDrop to be even better with its more concentrated beam. Unfortunately, I didn't have a single CR123 cell with me in order to power it up today. I will report on it soon.

Isak Hawk

Enlightened
I'm getting one too, yay! :grin2:

I'll probably carry it, but I don't know if it will become my primary EDC. It sure looks beautiful though, and I love the idea of a high CRI LED :)

The Coach

Enlightened
I got one. I don't think it will replace my LS20 as my EDC, but I'm sure I can find some use for it. :thinking:

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my SunDrop today at my office. I will be using it primarily in my medical pratice where I have used Don's Mule prototype and loved it. There was no other LED light that came even close to this light for accurate color rendition, so crucial to oral/pharyngeal exmaninations.
I can even write off the expense to the office.:)

I expect the SunDrop to be even better with its more concentrated beam. Unfortunately, I didn't have a single CR123 cell with me in order to power it up today. I will report on it soon.

Can't wait to hear what a doctor thinks of the color rendition in actual practice, keep us updated!

Mayo

coloradogps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I missed the wave.

If anyone changes their mind and wants to let theirs go, I'll buy it.

Thanks...

:whistle:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I caught the wave, I believe this light will fit nicely in the house carry. I also suspect this will team up nicely with the SF backup for trips away from the house. Sunny D (I claim that one!) for flood and the SF backup for throw. 70% of all my illumination needs seem to be covered by a flood type light. What better way to fill that 70% than a nice warm beam that I have come to love ever since my UV1J PD. Man I love warm tints.

For those that have caught the early ripple, :naughty: , I would love to see some beamshots comparing tints to other lights, perhaps a HDS with the GT option? :D

Or any XO emittered light, like a Lion Cub, which is just pure white. :thumbsup:

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those that have caught the early ripple, :naughty: , I would love to see some beamshots comparing tints to other lights, perhaps a HDS with the GT option? :D

Or any XO emittered light, like a Lion Cub, which is just pure white. :thumbsup:

I can't wait to compare its beam to the MVVK, a little custom TB number I love with a UV0J emitter. :D

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I remember, you must be referring to the Tri-L...... Nevermind. :crazy:

:D If it happened the last night, I doubt you remember any of it. :poke::laughing:

Time to start planning the '09 nights we won't remember.... :devil::D

Last edited:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I caught the wave, but I'm not certain what I'm going use it for. :thinking: I'm happy with my LS20, and don't see why I would be replacing it already. So if this doesn't fill my needs, it'll go back up to BST. Don's work is amazing, but I rather not hog it up and let other people who will make use of his light as it was intended.

pezdragon

Newly Enlightened
These things are a little addicting. I hope to use this light for nightime illumination for such things as outdoor cooking and color photography. Another possible use for me would be checking tonal balance on my B&W (and color) prints from my large format printer. I often print at night and am not REALLY sure what I have till I see it with indoor daylight. Tungstun and fluorescent lighting can show problems involving metamerism if the wrong paper and ink profiles are used. A bad case would be a B&W print that has a nice grey balance under tungstun but shows subtle color tints in daylight.
I can't say now if I will edc this as I'm really happy with my LS27, but I'll of course know more when in hand for awhile.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Some of these guys are trying to derail mofo's thread here so I want to pitch my hat into the ring as it were and make sure this thread goes goofy.

For starters, I got a kit load of these lights but hope to off most of them to unsuspecting folks; I mean fellow members.

I have been using one of these for a while now and have found the beam to be ideal for hands free work but with a need for some directing of the beam. I have given some thought to this beam being reasonably well suited for head lamp applications. I have a few head lamps and have used them with excellent results and there are times when nothing else will work as well. However they are a bit cumbersome for me and not put in service that often.

So the heck with a head lamp. I have had the idea of a Hat Lamp for quite some time and putting a flashlight on the bill of a hat is certainly nothing new and many here have done this.

My hat lamp has a slight deviation though and it may be stone age but it is in keeping with simplicity at any rate:

HatLamp-4.jpg

HatLamp-2.jpg

I had to go to the store to get a hat for this mod and I also picked up a visor for similar treatment:

Visor-Lamp.jpg

The visor better illustrates the deviation. I put a 3/4" hole in the bills and this allows the clip to pass through to the other side and the clip makes a great and secure mount, IMHO. Gravity has no effect and if it did, it would seat the light better on the bill. I plan to hunt breakfast bugs for some anole friends tonight with a hat on. And I can say that with a stone face! :nana:

Should anyone wonder, I found a piece of lava rock at the beach last year and stuck it on my lawn. I have seen a face in it from when I first noticed it on the beach and with some idle hands, some diamond grit bits and no one the wiser, I defaced the rock or re faced it or bad faced it or something. :crazy:

No one has noticed this rock or commented on it but it seemed an ideal model for the Maui HatLamp and certainly easier on your eyes than a self portrait.... I'll save my rocks in speedo for another time. :crackup:

If any of you guys have a hat to spare, try this mod yourself. The LunaSol's work pretty well on the hat as well.

EDIT: I failed to mention that it might be cool, literally, to have an Al bill or perhaps carbon cloth (thermal dissipating type) on the bill to aid in thermal relief. The surface area of a bill on a hat and even hard hat for that matter seems the obvious place to spill out some unwanted heat.

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
OK. OK. I'll try to behave. :eek:

I did use the Hat Lamp tonight though and it worked great.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
What did you use to cut the hole? The fabric doesn't look all mangled up like a drill was used.

Knife?

BTW, that face on the rock would just creep me out! I swear those eyes are following me around!

sorry Mofo for the OT stuff...