Just got My Lambda Adrenalin Pro...

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
And all I can say is wow! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

The Brinkmann Legend body is a nice little receptacle for Kevin's handiwork. The mod is very professionally done and overall, it's a great value...and certainly so when compared to an LS with the 2AA body. Of course the LS is a work of art. I've never seen threads of such quality. But for light output, carryability, and a decent lockout clickie, the Lambda Illuminator can't be beat.

I only have two nits to pick and I'd like to see if anyone else has these same observations.

1. There is a spot of epoxy on the backside of the optic. Since the optic is internally reflective, I don't think this is a problem. It certainly doesn't register in the beam pattern.

2. Lambda's literature states that the Pro series has a Luxeon LED selected for "pure white color". However, the beam cast is visibly more blue than either my LS-H or my V3U 5W mod.

Other than that, I am immensely pleased with my new tool. A fresh set of Powerex 2000mAh really makes this baby sing!

Wilkey

ChrisA

Enlightened
beamshots pleeeease ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif have you done a runtime-test with those powerex-cells ?

chris

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
There is a spot of epoxy on the backside of the optic. Since the optic is internally reflective, I don't think this is a problem. It certainly doesn't register in the beam pattern.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to doubt that what you're seeing is epoxy. I don't think Lambda would be that careless. More than likely it is a fleck of the "silicon-like" gel that Lumiled's uses inside their emitter lenses.

I typically find these flecks of gel around the edges of many "factory fresh" emitters. They don't usually show up until a collimator is mounted over the emitter.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slick,

Nope, it's not "farkle". This spot is definitely on the collimator. Here's a pic. As you can see, the stuff is stuck to the outside of the clear optic and it is the same color as the thermal epoxy that pots the Luxeon LED.

fc5d1fbe.jpg

ChrisA,

Here's a crappy beamshot taken with my Sony DCR-PC120BT. It was taken with manual exposure, 1/60 sec and F1.8. I have not yet done a runtime as the Powerex cells are brand new and I am still putting them through their initial charge/discharge cycles. Don't mind the fluffy cloud looking stuff on the wall, that's just an irregularity in my mediocre paint job. The LSH-P is on the left. The Illuminator Pro is on the right. Both have freshly charged Powerex 2000mAh AA cells.

fc5d1fc1.jpg

Wilkey

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
While my Adrenaline Pro is not as "snow white" as the Space Needle, based on a U3U LS, it doesn't have any "pee green" in the beam at all. And the beam on my guy's quite clean and clear. There's no artifacts on the collimator. It's slightly purple, but nowhere near as purple as my KL1...

Very few 1Wers can give Charlie's LGI a run for its money in terms of brightness, and Kevin's Adrenaline definately comes closest. The only 1Wer that's brighter is Wayne J's 30mm collimator based Blaster II...

ChrisA

Enlightened
thanks wilkey,

that looks definatley like a winner to me ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif maybe you can comment on the runtime in a few days - looking forward to a full review of that little gem ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

chris

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Maybe the pics can't show it, but the hotspot on the Adrenalin is absolutely white to my eyes. And look how much bigger (and certainly brighter) it is than the poor lil' Arc...

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ginseng,

Sorry about the epoxy drop, the lens was to be replaced before shipping. I set it aside, but after packing and mailing the last of the orders I could not find that light to make the repair. We had a power failure Moday while I was at work and the wife "borrowed" a couple flashlights, not returning them to their original place. Yes, she's been severily repremanded for touching the goodies while I was away.

I'll see a replacement lens gets mailed out to you right away. In the mean time, if it bothers you being there, it can be removed as epoxy won't stick to the lens material.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Absolutely, I'm pleased with this unit. FalconFX, my 2D mod with the V3U has the best color I've ever seen, but then I haven't seen a "4" yet. Are you pretty pleased with the Blaster II?

Mr. Bulk, I throttled down the exposure to highlight the different spots but you are definitely right in that the Illuminator blows the Arc away in brightness both spot and corona. The photos don't seem to show the whiter color of the LS. Where the Arc is hands down winner is 1) the craftsmanship is a class apart from any other light I've seen 2) with the CR123 body, it is the brightest thing in a more compact size.

Kevin, I picked at the spot with my fingernail a little but I was afraid to scratch the lens so I left it alone. In the switcheroo that happened, are you sure the unit I got was a Pro unit? Just curious because it is visually more blue/purple than the LS-H I compared it to. Thanks for a very satisfying mod!

Wilkey

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ginseng, the Blaster II I have is quite good, and I do like it. Although it's not as white as some of the other mods I have, it is definately the "brightest" 1W mod I've gotten so far. The 30mm optics on the low dome LS gives it a larger spill area and a brighter hotspot. Even better, the projection of the beam is near perfect: a soft fading corona from the hotspot.

The Adrenalin Pro should be brighter than a KL1 and just a shade below the Blaster II for reference. It's actually a tad brighter than a BB500, if you can believe it.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the comments FalconFX. Sounds like a Blaster II might be in my future. Interesting that you say the A-Pro is brighter than the BB500. I've got a MadMax coming and if it makes it in time, I'll snap another beamshot with the LSH-P, A-Pro and MadMax.

W

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ginseng,

Yes, I'm sure. Only Pro's were left to be packed, and as a superstition of mine, all lights get one final test on the light meter before they go in the box.

Your lens is on the way.

The epoxy got there when the head assy was installed. I was a little over generous in applying the silver epoxy and some welled up and touched the lens. Since the light has to remain perfectly vertical during the cure process, I had to wait to replace the lens. It got late, and I decided it would be done the next day as there was one extra Pro at that time.

I also wanted to clairify my "white" grading. These are the whitest Low Dome Luxeons I've seen. Yes, the SE and HD with EOS phosphor are the champions of pure white, but I thought for Low Domes these were about as good as it gets.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hehe,

Cool. Thanks for the clarification Kevin. I'm still learning about all this and training my eyes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm taking your Illuminator Ad-Pro with me into New York City this weekend so wish me luck. Oh yeah, I'm also taking a 2D and 3D for any potential, um, physical encounters.

Wilkey