Going hiking in the Teton Mountains - Prize for help picking lights

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Winner Announced! hiking Trip - Prize for help picking lights

I thought it might be fun to get a little help to keep me from taking too many lights on an upcoming trip hiking 5 nights in the Teton Mountains of Wyoming. I need to travel very light so I want to pare it down, but still have a useful AND fun light or two or three IN ADDITION to my PT EOS headlight (SV1H Lux3) and Photon Freedom DS.

So here are the game/rules (because there is a prize):
1) List your selection of lights and tell me why I need to take each of them. Keep it small and light, but maximize useability and FUN. I will tell you I generally prefer CR123 single cell lights, but like to take one bigger light if I think I will need it or it will just be that much fun.
2) I will listen to all the selections and arguements. You may ask me questions. You may change your list, but you only get one list in the end (last one you posted)
3) I will choose my lights by August 17th. Sooner if I see a good selection, but no sooner than August 8th.
4) When I decide which lights to take, either matching someone's suggested list or most closely so, I will offer that person to choose a prize! The prize list is yet to be determined, but will include a few lights, parts, accessories, etc. The more helpful, the more generous I will feel.

VOTES DO NOT COUNT, I'M JUST KEEPING TRACK OF POSTS

Here is the list to choose from:
Jil DD (Intelli broken)
Fenix P1
Fenix P1D CE - Leef and AL Kooter tubes
Mag Solitaire LED ( 1 VOTE)
Peak McKinley 7 Snow LED
Nuwai 1W 1AAA
Fenix P1 CE (RCR2 two-stage)
SureFire E1E
HDS EDC U60 Milky SSC (17650 body option) (3 VOTES)
Novatac 120P Tactical switch, low profile clip (3 VOTES)
CMG Infinity (4 VOTES)
Dorcy 1AA 3led
<edit:add> Lumapower Incendio Q5 WD
<edit:add> Nitecore EX10
Fenix L2P - CR2 or CR123 body - momentary
Nuwai Q3 mom switch SV1K
LRI Proton (2 VOTES)
RexLight XR-E V2.0 (1 VOTE)
Fenix L1T V.2.0 Rebel P2D body - momentary (2 VOTES)
Peak Rainier SSC
Fenix P2D Rebel 100 - momentary (4 VOTES)
Nuwai ALX2611
Nitecore Defender Infinity Cree Q5 (1 VOTE)
LightFlux LF1 SSC
Inova X1 Gen2 (1 VOTE)
SureFire E1L Cree (KX1) single level (warm-green tint) (1 VOTE)
SureFire E1L RCR123 ML1 gen1 head SSC McE2S
StreamLight TL 1AA
Inova T1
Nuwai TM31x 2AAA 0.5W
Fenix P3D CE (1 VOTE)
(WTB) SureFire L1 Cree (1 VOTE)
SureFire Milky ML1 gen1 SSC (2 VOTES ) <edit:add> I have the F04 diffuser
SureFire Milky ML1 gen1 UW0J McR18
SureFire Milky ML1 gen2 SSC w/short Gen3 tube
SL Scorpion
Nuwai TM301X-3 SX1K (1 VOTE)
SureFire G2 OD BOG 150L (1 VOTE)
SureFire A2 Aviator HA WH (7 VOTES) <edit:add> LumensFactory 120L bulb
SureFire E2DL 2-stage on 18650 or E1L body (McE2S option)
VB-16 SSC
Minimag Nite Ize LED
Minimag FlagLite w/ TV1J Mmax lite, Kroll, Carclo25deg
Insight H2X SSC glowpaint
Inova T3
LED Logic Striker VG SSC (2 VOTES)

I have listed big (bigger) lights than I would typically consider, but if you think you can convince me the Striker VG will be the most fun, then you may try.

<edit 6-11-08>
Note on batteries:
I have RCR123 and 14500 in addition to LSD AA's. I intend to save the LSD AA's for the camera (Canon S3 IS) and use a couple of RCR123's if appropriate with CR123 spares. If I take all AA lights, I will probably power them with Lithium AA's and keep the Eneloops for the camera. <end edit>

Thanks in advance for the help ...and I hope for lively discussion.

Last edited:

bigfoot

Enlightened
Re: Going hiking in the Tetons - Prize for help picking lights

My choice would be the Surefire E1L (w/KX1) and the Inova X1 (Gen.2).

You get plenty of throw with the E1L/KX1 combo and it's small and relatively lightweight with plenty of runtime. For all that room you saved you can afford to pack along some spare CR123 cells.

I also picked the Inova X1. I have one of these and it's practically bulletproof. The tailcap switch can be a little picky, and sure it's a purple colored beam, but overall it's a great light for around camp or making a bathroom run. Throw a lithium AA cell in and you're set.

Unless you are setting up your campsite at night, doing some night hiking, or reading a novel by flashlight, my guess is you'll be lucky to even burn up the original cell in whatever light you take. Especially if you're already going to have a headlamp and a Photon.

Enjoy your trip and take lots of photos! Thanks for offering a prize! Interested to see what other folks pick...

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast

A2
HDS U60
NovaTac.

A2. Multi-level regulated incan. Sometimes you just need the incan. Really nice because it's regulated.

HDS and Novatac pretty much use interchangeable parts. Both a build like tanks. The Novatac has a great beam. Both have amazing runtime. Multilevel with low lows. Which is important because on outdoor hikes you don't need a lot of light, but you need a lot of runtime. Interchangeable parts are great in case you bust anything(unlikely) you can swap it over.

All the lights use CR123s.

Gunner12

Flashaholic

Novatac/HDS
LRI Proton
LED Logic Striker VG SSC(maybe)
P2D/L2T+CR123(maybe)
A2(maybe)
CMG Infinity

The Novatac/HDS is tough and dependable. It also has modes that can be helpful if you want to preserve night vision and also has a good high mode. Good beam for most normal tasks.

Similar reasoning for the Proton, with the added bonus of red. I also like to have at least one light with AA batteries, but depending on what you bring, that might be a bad thing.

IIRC the Striker is a pretty throwy light, which also has lower modes, so it would be more of a fun light. If I had one I'd bring it for throw and for seeing at longer distances.

The Rebel Fenix lights because the Rebels seem to have better color rendering and warmer tints then the other LEDs. But the HDS/Novatac would cover the multimode section.

The A2 would have an incan beam which would make colors show up more and seem more natural.

CMG as a backup, tough, simple. dependable light.

If only 1 light, then HDS/Novatac.

I hope you have fun.

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here are my choices;

E2DL - in case you get lost and have to go "Donner Party" on a slower more feeble hiker. The crenelations will also aid you in accessing the brain pan. Organ meats are the key to long term survival. They supply vitamins, that is how the Eskimos are able to survive without salad bars.

Nuwai TM301X-3 SX1K - you will need something shiny for bait. "Oh look a flashlight!" And when they bend down to pick it up its E2DL time. Be the Angler Fish.

CMG Infinity - its nice and dim. Do you honestly want to see what you're eating?!

Make the lambs stop screaming...

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic

Novatac 120P Tactical switch, low profile clip
SureFire E1L Cree (KX1) (warm-green)
SureFire A2 Aviator HA WH
CMG Infinity

I too enjoy 123 lights and I picked these as if I was picking them for myself. Hopefully we'll have the same taste.

The single CR123s are small, light but still give excellent output. The LED's main advantage is efficiency and the one cell format takes good advantage of this. You only need to carry a minimum of spares and this group of lights all operate on primaries. This whole group of light can literally fit in the space of your hand so bulk is kept to a minimum also. I think any more lights than this could just get in the way and would be more than you would use during a few days of hiking.

I picked the 120P because it is durable, flexible and has the option of long run-time if needed. Also having a least one light that strobes is smart thing to have for signaling.

I picked the EL1 because it's basic and has cell commonality with the 120P. In an emergency it can be handed off to a buddy with a couple of extra cells, should they not have a reliable light. It's intuitive to operate, even by a rookie. It's completely stock which should also provide ultimate reliability. Although good mods are perfectly reliable too, Surefire has already done all of the hard testing on their light.

I picked the A2 Aviator because having cell commonality with your other two lights is a big plus. Having at lease one incandescent light would be important to me. It provides a warm soothing beam and can be a morale boost when you're cold and tired, similar to a warm fire or a full stomach. It's a proven performer and possibly the best incan pocket light ever created. It has the advantage of a regulated bulb and a long run-time when using the LEDs. Once again, this light is easy to use, even by a novice so no confusion is had by anyone who might have to pick it up.

I picked this one because of it's proven track record, toughness and simplicity. Although the other three lights are all CR123, having at least one AA light would be great to fall back on since others in the hiking party will likely have some devices that operate on AA cells. Lithium L91 AA cells are lightweight and taking a twin pack of these along would hardly use any space. It's small and light enough to use as a hanging tent candle and already has a nice lanyard attachment. It's a great, "do everything" around camp light and can be left hanging around your neck without being in the way. An around the neck light makes a nice supplement to a headlight for camp tasks.

That should do it. Great luck with your picks and preparation for your big adventure. :wave:

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast

:crackup: and :sick2:
You learn something every day.
...Organ meats are the key to long term survival. They supply vitamins, that is how the Eskimos are able to survive without salad bars...

These are great answers. I know I have a lot to think through. Of course it will be hard to keep it to just a few lights. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

SaturnNyne

Enlightened

Since you say you need to travel very light and the purpose of this is to keep you from taking too many, I'll give you a purely practical and minimal list that I think will cover all needs pretty well. Also, I'll be sticking mostly to lights I either have personal experience with or at least know a lot about.

Your picks.
PT EOS headlight (SV1H Lux3): Good choice; a nice small headlamp.
Photon Freedom DS: Also good; it's so small, why not.

My picks.
HDS U60-SSC and/or 120P (depending on your beam and UI preferences between the two and how light you want to keep it) with 17650 body: These lights are hard to beat since they can pretty much cover all normal needs. They're very bright, extremely dim, can run forever, very tough, extremely versatile. In this situation, at least one of these would be coming with me and it would be in my pocket the whole time to serve as my primary torch. In addition, I'd also say they're pretty fun.

CMG Infinity: It's tough, runs a long time on the most common cell, has a good closeup beam, and is just right for hanging somewhere to provide area lighting.

SureFire L1 Cree: Great intuitive 2-stage interface (better than EDCs for momentary uses, doesn't require ground schooling if you loan it out), tough, decent runtimes, offers different beam pattern from other selections, good throw with somewhat dim but useable spill beam for peripheral vision, hardly bigger than less versatile E1L-C. I'm not familiar enough with your versions of the ML1 to make a call there, but my own version doesn't offer much over the EDCs, while the stock L1-C does provide a very different sort of beam.

Other possibilities.
LRI Proton: Gives the option of red, if that's important to you. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

SureFire G2 BOG 150L: Maybe as a higher power spotting option? I'd take my M60 for that use since it has a clear advantage in that area over the other stuff I've chosen, but I'm not familiar with your particular module so whether the added size and weight is worth it is your call. I'd guess it's not really worth it.

SureFire A2-WH: Good light if incandescence is important to you, otherwise not worth the size and appetite. I was into incans for outdoor use for a while, but lately in back to back comparisons with very nicely tinted high quality modern leds, I've found the difference to be negligible, so I usually don't bother anymore.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just got back from a trip to Durango, Colorado and was able to take 9 of my 45 (or more) Surefires. I went on many late night walks on the outskirts of town and along mountain bases. Needless to say I had a LOT of fun with the lights I brought and was ver happy to be able to use them in an area without a lot of light pollution.

I vote for the A2 and the 1st gen. L1 wodded with a Seoul and preferably a reflector. The E1L would be my 3rd if I had that choice.:laughing:

The A2 is one of my favorites. It was one of the last surefires I bought. I kick myself in the *** for not getting one sooner, but now I own 3:D
The low on the A2 is fine for general use and the incandecant is surprisingly bright and throws amazingly well....especially if you can get the Fivemega Strion Kit. The Strion bulbs can be found for about $4.00 each online and are noticably brighter and whiter than the SF MA02. The A2 was used TON. Any spares carrier filled with 123's and a bunch of spare Strion bulbs just in case...

The L1 modded with a Seoul and a reflector is another light that is great for loooong runtimes and 2 very useful levels of light. While I did not bring this one on the trip, I use it all the time and enjoy the beam quality and the fact that I rarely have to change the battery.:grin2:

jag808808

Enlightened

I was not too familiar with most of your lights. I will suggest on what I know about...

Mag Solitaire LED - Small tent light to read, night light, or just general use around the camp site without disturbing anyone. Small enough to wear on a lanyard for those "privy" visits.

Fenix L1T V.2.0 Rebel P2D body - For those "what was that noise" light. Light enough to be carried in the front pocket without bunching.

Fenix P3D CE - Nice hotspot with a ton of spill. Great for the "who goes there?". With adjustable brightness, great for around the camp site and trails.

(ordered) SureFire L1 Cree - I have an ML1 and love it! Slight twist for the low with instant access to brighten up the distance. Use for an evening stroll while ready to blast the distance into light.

SureFire A2 Aviator HA WH - Dual duty light similar to the L1 with better color rendition and more depth to the throw. Does not cast as much shadows as a high power LED.

Where do you plan on going? I hope you have fun! Take care. I hope this helps (wins)...:poke:

Aloha,

jag

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd advise you to follow your own requirement of keeping your load LIGHT. Which means 1 headlamp [mandatory] - EOS is a very good choice, a Zebralight H30 would also be good if you had one.
One coin cell light is a good idea, too.
After that take the best all around light, which from your list of many fine lights I feel would be the HDS EDC U60 Milky SSC (17650 body option). I know how much fun I can have with my lights, but a multi-day trip isn't the best time to bring 'em. There are so many other things to enjoy and focus on while you are out there, and the enjoyment is often inversely proportional to the load you have to carry.

If I were to take another light it would be the best single cr123 thrower from the list. I'm not sure if that would be the P2D, the Rainier SSC, one of the Surefires, or another light. I'm curious to know which it would be. I have a Lux III Rainier [2005 CPF Special] and I love the way it throws. I wonder how the SSC Rainier is.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd advise you to follow your own requirement of keeping your load LIGHT. Which means 1 headlamp [mandatory]... After that take the best all around light... I know how much fun I can have with my lights, but a multi-day trip isn't the best time to bring 'em. There are so many other things to enjoy and focus on while you are out there, and the enjoyment is often inversely proportional to the load you have to carry.
Definitely good advice.

LED_Thrift said:
If I were to take another light it would be the best single cr123 thrower from the list. I'm not sure if that would be the P2D, the Rainier SSC, one of the Surefires, or another light. I'm curious to know which it would be. I have a Lux III Rainier [2005 CPF Special] and I love the way it throws. I wonder how the SSC Rainier is.
My Rainier SSC throws like all get-out. It is well focused and appears to throw as well as my SSC 3D Mag! Smallest big thrower I have.

Thanks for the input guys! Keep it coming. I have updated the first post to show the number of votes per light so far.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nitecore Defender AA batteries.
NiteCore Extreme cr123 batteries.
Zebralight H30 cr123 battery for headlight.

lumenlover2

Newly Enlightened
Your Headlamp choice is very good , a great workhorse.

I would have suggested the H30 but it`s a bit dim for all around use.
anyway you could take the h30 as a backup headlamp maybe.

So....Headlamp plus....

1. Photon freedom DS - perfect small with the clip-thingy everywhere attachable- best carried around your neck at all times ! (some spares)

2. Ra Clicky - will be water- bomb- and foolproof. lowest low, good high,
fun to play around with all the options (sos,strobe,lightlevels,auto turnoff , locator flash , red light option etc. etc.) you won`t get bored with this one!

3. eighter a nice incan thrower for fun and also emergency (wild animals etc. spotting), or a p2d or H30 just as backup.

meuge

Enlightened
You only really need 3 lights when hiking:
1. powerful "who's there" light
2. long-running backup
3. headlamp for handfree use
... also perhaps a loaner light to someone who forgot to pack a light (if you're not traveling alone).

Given that you're trying to pack light, I would say that you may want to forego a nice incan, unless you absolutely want to pack one. In the latter case, take the A2 Aviator.

Otherwise, the LEDs offer great options that allow you to have 1 & 2 together. If I were you, I'd take a Fenix P2D, two 2-packs of CR123 batteries, and a CMG Infinity with a 1.7V lithium AA and a spare (just in case). I usually prefer to take at least 1 unregulated light with me.

If you're going to be lending lights, take the Rexlight - it takes AAs, and it would satisfy any real need, including as an improvised handsfree on a headband, or in one's mouth.

If you're going to pack the Aviator, don't take the Infinity, and just take the P2D as a backup.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Novatac 120P--high/low low , output small package multiple levels, many uses such as can serve as long runtime nightlight in low low low mode when in the tent reading or other fun stuff :naughty: depending on who is with you

2. Fenix L1T V.2.0 Rebel P2D body-- this is 2 lights in one so the benefits are here for multiple batteries and a great emergency light and the rebel for good led color rendition incase the surefire bulb blows

1&2 you can eliminate one if you like the low of P2d for nightvision and therefore the 120p is not needed + P2d&L1T is 2 in one cant go wrong

3. SureFire A2 -- true incan , certainly if your pack takes a tumble and the lights fall out on the way this should be the one to survive except maybe the bulb .. it is a surefire after all so it should live

4. Led Logic Striker for throw led light which would be fun for distance spotting on the trail ahead but my other thoughts on this later

on the thrower..i myself going on a trip like this would go out of my way to acquire this just because it was meant to be, even though it is big it is certainly small enough to be in limits

1D Mag w3aa holder Aspherical..best throwing Led , just think about how far you can spot stuff especially up on a mountain ;) if its foggy ..oh the laser beam you will have:D easy way to pick one up at kd or get a malkoff and ask gene to put cree on it and pick up asp lens and maybe VL bezel from kiu

just for reminder here

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I do not intend to buy any more lights for this trip. I need to SELL lights, not buy more! BUT, if there is a very good reason to get a new light OVER the lights I have (see list in post #1) then I may consider it. But I'm sure I have a wide enough range of lights to choose from.

I am already taking the Freedom DS as a backup, it is soo small, it's almost silly not to when it has the "come on at super dim" feature too. Only the other lights are in question (besides my EOS headlight).

Note on batteries:
I have RCR123 and 14500 in addition to LSD AA's. I intend to save the AA's for the camera (Canon S3 IS) and use a couple of RCR123's if appropriate with CR123 spares, or if I for some reason take all AA lights, I will probably power them with Lithium AA's and keep the Eneloops for the camera.

Thanks the for the input everyone!

Nitecore Defender AA batteries.
NiteCore Extreme cr123 batteries.
Zebralight H30 cr123 battery for headlight.

importculture

Newly Enlightened
Didn't even think about holding contests with prizes here. That's such a great idea! If it's not against any rules I think I'll do something similar in the future. Good way of clearing out unused or multiples of lights. Thanks for the great idea. I think more people should do give aways.