Aspheric lens with a Malkoff?

righty

Newly Enlightened
Have any of you tried an aspheric lens on a mag light that is running the Malkoff?

I ordered my first Malkoff device today. I am hoping to run 6 AA's in a 2D maglite.

I love the aspheric mods I have seen here. I can only guess that 580 lumens thru an aspheric lens could really throw a tight beam???

Righty

don't tease me. If you have Intel, please produce the pics:D

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
im assuming you got the universal drop-in...i would still say no because the 2 crees are not in the right position

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
im assuming you got the universal drop-in...i would still say no because the 2 crees are not in the right position
He's correct. The LEDs won't be in the correct place for the lens to do its thing. Even the standard single SSC isn't the best because the SSC's don't work as well as a Cree LED with an aspheric lens.

Last edited:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
however if you got the single drop-in and swap the seoul to R2 cree then you got something :twothumbs

Last edited:

righty

Newly Enlightened
I got the universal.

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone have beem shots of the Malkoff universal??? I can not wait any longer, PLEASE help. I need a fix guys. Give me some BEEM SHOTS.:huh:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah you could do that but its only pumping out 800ma where as malkoff is 1A in 3d or 1.1A in 4D ..more output :naughty: but you could go custom and have someone make it go 1.5amp+ but it would have to be a custom job and need someone to build it

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah you could do that but its only pumping out 800ma where as malkoff is 1A in 3d or 1.1A in 4D ..more output :naughty: but you could go custom and have someone make it go 1.5amp+ but it would have to be a custom job and need someone to build it

How do you know it's only putting out 800mA? In any case, there's not that much difference between 800mA and 1A.

Swagg

Enlightened
He's correct. The LEDs won't be in the correct place for the lens to do its thing. Even the standard single SSC isn't the best because the SSC's don't work as well as a Cree LED with an aspheric lens.

Why do crees work better? Seems like if malkoff single is brighter than KD's then wouldn't it work better in the aspheric?

JamisonM

Enlightened
Why do crees work better? Seems like if malkoff single is brighter than KD's then wouldn't it work better in the aspheric?
KD's drop-in uses a cree emitter. Cree's have a more narrow beam pattern then the SSC's. This is also why you don't see meany CREE modified maglites using the stock reflector. It's because the beam pattern doesn't work well with the stock refelctor where as a SSC works very nicely. I believe the CREE's have a 90 degree beam pattern while the SSC's have a 160 or 180 (can't remember) degree beam pattern.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
KD's drop-in uses a cree emitter. Cree's have a more narrow beam pattern then the SSC's. This is also why you don't see meany CREE modified maglites using the stock reflector. It's because the beam pattern doesn't work well with the stock refelctor where as a SSC works very nicely. I believe the CREE's have a 90 degree beam pattern while the SSC's have a 160 or 180 (can't remember) degree beam pattern.
This and the fact the SSC's don't have a clear dome on them like the Cree's. Their dome is more milky and it shows in the resulting beam.