Sliva L1 , alternate power mod help needed

andyj23uk

Newly Enlightened
hi - the battery boxes on my beloved silva L1 have finally given up the ghost - and attempted repairs are not looking reliable enough

so i have built a wiring extension and harness to enable me to run the lamp from 6V lead acid batteries mounted as belt packs

all well and good - except for the obvious weight issue - not that bad as its a belt pack

but the real question is - could i attach 7.2V lithium rechargables to the L1 unit ?

would it fail immediatly ?

give higher output for a much shorter life ?

or preform normally ?

i dont want to blow my L1 up with ` reckless experimentation ` as its a cracking light for exploring dry places

so any help / advice would be appreciated

rantanplan

Newly Enlightened
There are two versions of the Silva L1, the first one and than one improved version which came out in 2006(?). The improved version had a wider headstrap and a small knob on the power button.

I´ve done a test with the first version and that one failed ... before that I asked Silva how much voltage the L1 could tage. They said that they´d forwarded my questions to their technical staff, but I never got an answer. So some day, I hooked up the L1 to my bench power supply and turned the voltage slowly up to 8.4V which is the highest possible voltage for an 2-cell LiIon. First I was happy because the light didn´t blow, but after turning back the voltage, the dissappointment moment came ... the regulator was blown, the light was on direct drive. Without having big scruples due to Silvas attitude, I returned the blown L1 and got a replacement which was one of the newer ones ...

... and I don´t want to test my new light again, because it´s already modded with a Seoul P4 and I can´t return it for a second time ;) ...

So ... older version will be killed with a 7.2V LiIon pack, newer version is unknown ... someone else volunteering please :D