Any Aspherical Rebel LED?

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone build one? shouldnt the small size of the Rebel die a perfect match for aspherical mod? I have rebel 100 waiting to be used, should i go with it?
FYI. I already have Aspherical Cree Q5, so is it worth it.

thanks.

Last edited:

fletch31

Newly Enlightened
I would think so. Aspherics work best with the smaller the origination point of light and the Rebel looks to have that down over other LEDs. I just havent been able to get my hands on any Rebel 100 emitters to try it out. I have only seen have only seen Rebel 80's for ordering in small quantities. Where did you source your Rebel 100?

Last edited:

Nos

Enlightened
rebel emitters have a 160° viewing angle....isnt that too much for a lens?
.... ive seen a p3d rebel mod, didnt look too bad and the small die might be worth a try.

but ive tested a yellow rebel emitter with kai's lens...results were not great as you can clearly see the bond wires over the die, which makes it hard to focus...

short: stay with cree :shrug:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, iirc the rebel emitter itself isn't any smaller than that of a Cree XRE. (Though I cold be wrong). However like Nos said the emission pattern of the Cree makes it far better.

I have played with an aspheric with a rebel emitter. Though I didn't have a cree to compare them side by side, I definitely was not impressed.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree is better for aspherics because it throws more light out the front. Rebel throws more out the sides.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, iirc the rebel emitter itself isn't any smaller than that of a Cree XRE. (Though I cold be wrong). However like Nos said the emission pattern of the Cree makes it far better.

I have played with an aspheric with a rebel emitter. Though I didn't have a cree to compare them side by side, I definitely was not impressed.

Right. The die is the same size.

I built an aspheric mag last summer with a Rebel 100. It was a pain to solder, and I don't think it beat the Q5 in it now.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Rebel has a smaller footprint but the Die size is the same as the Cree XR-E.

The narrower emitting angle of the XR-E will also let more light focus with a lens then a Rebel.

I think the white Rebels have the bonds under the emitter.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think so. Aspherics work best with the smaller the origination point of light and the Rebel looks to have that down over other LEDs. I just havent been able to get my hands on any Rebel 100 emitters to try it out. I have only seen have only seen Rebel 80's for ordering in small quantities. Where did you source your Rebel 100?

a salvage from Rebel 100 light which lost its tailcap :) it already attached to a star, so should be easy to solder.

Last edited: