Explaination of C/M Sure Fire heads - bodies

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wanting to build my own light and will be using some type of Leef body set up. I'm not sure what exactly the "C/M" heads of Surefire are. Could some one please explain the naming heirarchy of the Sure Fire line.

Thanks much,
Dan

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
C = Classic series
M = Military series

The only M head that is compatible with the C series is the M2 head.

To my knowledge the C series can include the D2/D3 (discontinued), C2/C3, G2/G3, G2Z, Z2, Z3, 6P, 9P, 6PD and their LED counterparts (usually an L after the name, such as G2L, Z2L, G2ZL, and so on.) Usually these have interchangable lamp assemblies (P6/9 series or LED heads), tailcaps, and so forth. The KT1 or KT2 turbo head assemblies can be used with this series for "throw."

Then there is Surefire's M series (millenieum??.) The M2 is a beefed up C2 (more o-rings and different design and higher cost) while the M1 is the infared light, the M3/M3T/M4/M6 are pretty much in their own league in terms of parts interchangability. This can also refer to the weapons light series which is an entire novel within itself due to SF's vast array of weapon lights. The X series is their pistol light series.

There is also the L series which refers to their "Digital Lumamax Series" L1, L2, L4, L5 (M2 body/tailcap with KL5 head), L6 are in this category.

The E series or executive series are a thinner more EDC type light. E1e, E2e, E1L, E2L, E2DL, E2D pretty much fall into this category.

I hope this sheds some light on your questions.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm wanting to build my own light and will be using some type of Leef body set up. I'm not sure what exactly the "C/M" heads of Surefire are. Could some one please explain the naming heirarchy of the Sure Fire line.

Thanks much,
Dan

A Leef body with a C tailcap to M head means that it will take any tailcap that fits onto a 6P or any other SF light that has the same dimensions as a 6P. (Ex: C2, C3, G2, Z2, etc.)

But the head should be off of an M-series SF. (Ex: M4, M6). But I believe an M2 would be too small.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW! Thanks for the detailed explaination guys!:thumbsup:

So any of the C series heads can simply be threaded onto a C series tube?

Same with the M series heads as well? or are the M3/4/6 all different types / sizes of threads?

What I'm wanting to do is build a platform for a Lumens Factory HO Inan bulb to create a Huge Superbright Thower... just for the fun of building it :D. I have plenty of big lumen pocket light. Now I want something different.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
WOW! Thanks for the detailed explaination guys!:thumbsup:

So any of the C series heads can simply be threaded onto a C series tube?

Same with the M series heads as well?

Yup.

An M6 with an M3 head is a popular lego among some CPFers.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Without nitpicking JasonC8301's attempt too much :)nana:)
The M-Series is M for Millennium.
SureFire have used "W" for their Military Series [of handgun WeaponLights]

SureFire use the term "bezel" rather than "head" (even a TurboHead bezel is still a bezel)

Last edited:

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol size15's, no worries. Rather be nitpicked by a someone that knows WTF they are talking about...

I do have a SF P101 nitrolon weapons light at work, but that series has been discontinued in favor of their X series.

Without nitpicking JasonC8301's attempt too much :)nana:)
The M-Series is M for Millennium.
SureFire have used "W" for their Military Series [of handgun WeaponLights]

SureFire use the term "bezel" rather than "head" (even a TurboHead bezel is still a bezel)