Best 5mm LED headlamp?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's everyone's favorite 5mm cluster headlamp? The Tikka is nice, but I rather have a 2xAA format than a 3xAAA

hopkins

Enlightened
The Tikka - 4 led model- I've got draws about 150ma on high. To extend the runtime and
avoid changing batteries I made a temporary external 3AA holder that connects to the headband when I needed it.
Did have to drill a hole in the back cover for the wires.

Seen a 5mm cluster handheld with 60 leds in it. Probably all cheap-o variety.

Is'nt the light output versus power consumption optimum with 4 '5mm' leds.
If you want more light (and be efficient) need to go with a 0.5watt led as the next step up? And then the 1watts led's etc..?
Thought I saw some graphs on this...:duh2:

But my vote is for the Tikka.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
PT Quad in my opinion. It's regulated, has no PWM like Petzl lights, has low battery warnings, will work with alkalines, NiMH, and lithium batteries without a drop in brightness, and is really waterproof/resistant. One thing I'll say about the Petzl Tikka Plus is that it is built to last. The PT Quad is made of brittle plastic that develops cracks over time. That needs to be fixed. Both lights are due for an upgrade to Nichia GS l.e.d.s which would make them twice as bright or give them double the runtime. This is probably the reason many CFP'ers have switched to Zebralights.