Comedian George Carlin dies.

jchoo

Enlightened
I read this as soon as I got up this morning - I woke my wife to tell her, and we both cried for a good 10 minutes. It hit us like losing a grandfather, as we had both seen him several times in person, and had been listening to his comedy for over a decade.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigh...a "near miss" with the grim reaper...

:mecry:

you will be missed george! you were one of the good ones!

Crenshaw

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never saw that coming.....seemed like he was in OK health.

I remember being a kid and watching some of his shows thinking "this guys funny but he swears alot" As I got older, I was able to understand more of his points of views on things and REALLY enjoyed what he did!
By FAR, one of the funniest comedians of all time!
He will be missed.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Very sad indeed. I remember him from before his long-hair days.

I heard an old radio interview of his today, and that's when I learned that in the early 60s, he was half of a comedy duo with Jack Burns.

Goodnight, funnyman. Thanks for all the laughs.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Last time I went on vacation was during the first week of March 2002.

My best friend and I spent several days in California and Vegas. While in Vegas, we learned that George Carlin was performing. Bought tickets at the last minute, and enjoyed a great show. The Opening Act was a crappy comedian who was on stage far too long.

But Carlin was great! We got to see him live and in Vegas.

Sad that no one else will get to experience the same thing ever again. :(

StarHalo

Flashaholic
George Carlin once remarked on what he would want people to say when he died.

So here ya go George:

"George Carlin? He was just here a minute ago..."

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
at times i think the the greatest philosophers of our time are (or were) the comedians.

he was really funny and he really told the truth.

here's the whole George Carlin on Religion monologue;

http://www.rense.com/general69/obj.htm

and may JP bless us all.

Warning: The above link contains what may be considered sexually explicit and religiously offensive material. - Empath

Last edited by a moderator:

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I think he's been my favorite comic since the 70's. In the 60's my mom would not let me listen to him. He was that good.

And I know what did him in. It was in one of his skits from the 70's.

"Researchers today reported that saliva can cause stomach cancer. But only if swallowed in small quantities over a long period of time."

He was a great observer of the human condition. I'll miss him.

Daniel

AvPD

Enlightened
After hearing about him here and there and watching The Aristocrats I decided to listen to some of his stand-up sets. Requires a good running knowledge of U.S. current affairs, the parts where he strings a whole lot of buzzwords together is my favourite (eg. the opening to Life is Worth Losing).

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
...the parts where he strings a whole lot of buzzwords together is my favourite (eg. the opening to You're All Diseased).

WARNING: Adult language in the referenced link below. Mods, please delete if not appropriate.

The "I'm a Modern Man" monologue can be found in it's entirety here. It's absolutely amazing how he strings that all together so quickly and perfectly. He must have had an amazing memory as well as a quick wit.

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recall an interview he once did where he confessed that the '60s were one big blurr to him.
They did an entire day of George Carlin stuff, including interviews, yesterday on XM channel 150.

In one of the interviews he was very honest about being cranked out on coke or high on pot.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
My bro and I listened to his albums as kids, I confiscated Take Offs And Put Ons from my parents, and bought Class Clown at a record store or yard sale.
Then we got some cassette tapes like A Place for My Stuff, which was great. It was a mix of live material, and studio skits, my favorite thing he did.
My bro and his fiance saw him a few months back, and I had the chance to go, but backed out because tickets were $50. :( :( :(
RIP George. Because of you, I realize us EDC-ers always have a mansion as the 3rd version of our home.

Last edited: