Freedom Micro using W-bin Nichia GS LED

Mag317

Newly Enlightened
Just saw the confirmation from photonlight's forum saying that all the white beam freedom micro on stock now are using W-bin Nichia GS LED.

Anyone got the GS version? How many lumens does it produce as compared to the DS version? It will be good to see some pic on the beam shot. Going to get one for myself since they are having 20% off:twothumbs

Burgess

Flashaholic
Thank you for the information, Mag317. :thumbsup:

To answer yer' question . . . .

I've read, someplace on CPF,

that the Nichia GS produces 10 % more light than the DS.

However, it only has 10% of the rated lifetime of the DS.

Hopefully, people more knowledgeable than myself
will offer their answers here.

:cool:
_

AlexSchira

Enlightened
I really did assume Photon would pass these up for the same reasons stated. I ordered GS LEDs but decided not to use them after finding out how much longer-lived the DS models are.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I inquired about purchasing some GS leds from Nichia, this is part of the response I recieved.

Please note that the NSPW500GS-K1 B12/UVW only lasts a few thousand hours.
This product has a minimum order quantity of 100pcs.
The lead time is 3-4 weeks from receipt of order details and payment.

I would suggest our NSPW500DS B12/UVW instead which has a better life expectance and we stock locally
NSPW500DS B12/UVW can ship within 1-2 business days from receiving order details and payment.

Both of these parts are $0.80/pc for 100pcs.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the GS last for a few thousand hours what's the big deal/ I have never used one of my lights for a few thousand hours. Besides when it goes out they will have the next latest and greatest to buy.:twothumbs

Last edited:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a lot of keychain applications where the led is driven by two lithium coin cells, the led is being rather severly overdriven. THe older CS and DS leds handled this just fine with their most robust design.

In theory, due to the shortened lifespan and hard use, the GS's fail show earlier signs of dimming. Now, will this happen fast enough for it to be a concern? I don't know. But I'll take the longer life led thats 10% less efficient and lasts 90% longer.

Of course, I don't speak for all.

alibaba

Enlightened
I have a "real" Photon II DS and a DX fauxton GS and I run both on 1-2032. The DS is brighter on 3V and has better beam pattern/tint. On 6V it's another story with the GS just BARELY edging out the DS via a ceiling bounce test but with the efficiency on 3V, the beam/tint factor and obviously the lifespan I wouldn't dream of swapping out the DS in my Photon II case. I have had a PII hanging on my RF beltloop for over a decade and the white DS is so stupendous on 2032 (a good deal brighter then my original "narrow angle" 20' 5600mcd PII bulb on 2-2016) that if no more of any of these were available I would be hard pressed to decide between my PII-DS, my SF E1B or my LOD Q4. So yeah, I hope they still have some back-stock of DS Photons because they are hard to find elsewhere with the gold plated leads......................I'd better go email them right now!

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast

paulr

Flashaholic
Fenix likes optimistic numbers for marketing purposes and 100k hours is probably a big overestimate. But who puts even 100's of hours on any kind of keychain light, especially a coin cell light? Anyway the leds in those lights are easy to replace. Maybe the GS will fade after 100's or 1000's of hours and not be as bright as a new light, but also the HS will come along soon enough and at that point even an unfaded GS won't be as bright as a new light. So if you want the brightest led in your Photon, just plan to upgrade once in a while.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at my post, #8. Straight from nichia, the GS is only rated for a few thousand hours (though they didnt get specific). I'll gladly forward the email to anyone who doubts me.

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember reading somewhere Nichia's lifetime rating is for 80% brightness.
And is pretty conservative too...