Emitter Choice 7*Q5 or 3*P7

Doh!Nut

Newly Enlightened
I am making a dive light and am having trouble deciding which is the most appropriate emitters to use.
The Major design requirements are.
***Spot Beam
***15 watts power consumption (to achieve run time from 14.4v Li-Ion battery)
***59mm internal diameter of casing
***All reflectors must be supported from below (The battery is attatched to the removable endcap of the light, the LED and optics must sit ontop of this, the cylindrical housing and lens slides over the reflectos and battery and screws onto the end cap.

I have a 26v Shark if I want a boost driver.
I have a 1400ma Konlux buck driver. (also a couple of 1000ma buckpuck/KonLux etc.)

My original Plan was to use the shark driver with seven Cree Q5 with fraen lenses (running at reduced current to fulfill battery life), the LED are available at a reasonable price $45 for seven. The reflectors are a bit more problematic shipping to the UK and I would probably have to use the small parcel forwarding service for these, budget $30. On the upside, each LED gets its own reflector designed for the purpose but there would be a query over how much throw a 15mm deep reflector can generate.
However I have three metal 35mm reflectors that could be trimmed (a lot) to fit inside the housing (59mm diameter) These reflectors are known to have very good throw with a single CREE, but three (single die) LED would not produce enough light. The reflectors could be modified for use with a P7 Led (the reflectors have a flat base which could be easily opened out to accomodate the P7), The Vf and the 1400ma driver combine to get the power spot on, but would they still give a good beam in the XR-E reflector?
Price would be $70 ie cost about equal.
Both the 7Cree and the 3SSc-P7 solutions would provide good lights, they would give alot of light and with different drivers/battery life could produce even more

The Maths
15Watt to LED (I have a little leeway on battery life so will ignore driver efficiency)

P7
Three P7 in series =Vf 11.1v Using 1400ma switching regulator = 15.5Watt
A C-Bin P7 gives 400+ Lumen at 1400ma - Total 1200 Lumen.

Q5
Seven Q5 in Series = Vf 24v using a shark set to 650ma (according to evans testing) 24v*650ma = 15.6W
a Q5 gives 175 Lumen at 650ma - Total 1225 Lumen
So according to the information I have the different reflectors give the same output and efficiency which leaves the quality of the spot beam and the mechanical strength of the reflectors mounted on top of the LED.

As an aside the peak output for each is
P7 3.7v*2.8a *3 = 31watt = 2400 Lumen
Q5 3.5v*1.0a *7 = 24.5Watt = 1650Lumen
which kind of makes sense if you think of each P7 as having four dies then we are comparing 12dies with 7 dies.

So, which one should I choose?

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Three underdriven P7's would generate less heat, and will typically have a lower Vf than the CREE LED's.

They would also be easier to wire. :thumbsup:

CampingLED

Enlightened
Three underdriven P7's would generate less heat, and will typically have a lower Vf than the CREE LED's.

They would also be easier to wire. :thumbsup:

The first thing that I thought of when I started to read the thread was that heat will be the last problem. In fact it will be nice to have a light that heats the water around you. Just couldn't resist, sorry!!!

Personally I would go for the P7's. Reasons:
- Only 3 emitters to work with. Less complex to build
- Scope to increase output in future, if required

OceanView

Enlightened
I'm wondering about the difference in beam patterns, particularly since this is a dive light. The tightest beam from even a single P7 I think that I've seen so far is an Elektrolumens P7 Longthrow over in CPFMP, and that has a big head to house a reflector big enough for creating good throw. I'm wondering if you can get a tight enough beam using multiple P7's in the space allotted?

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well 7xQ5 will probably throw better but harder to work with compared to triple P7.

Greg G

Enlightened
If you want a good hotspot and the best overall beam quality the Cree's will win hands down over the P7 IMO.

I've used Fraens with Cree's, and the beam was "ringy". The McR19XR's are head and shoulder above in beam quality.

I would use 7 Cree's with McR19XR reflectors. Expensive and more difficult to build, but you'll forget about all that once you turn it on.

If you want a cheaper option, do 7 Seoul U2SWOH stars and IMS 20 reflectors. Those reflectors give a nice beam with a Seoul emitter.

Doh!Nut

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replys, good points made.

I had forgotten about the IMS 20 reflectors, they do include legs that support the reflector but probably not as securely as the Fraen ones that positively snap onto the ring of the XR-E.
I have used the Seuol P4 with Prolight reflectors (26mm) to good effect so I can believe they give a good beam.
Is there anywhere these can be got for less than $4 each?

I think the only way I will resolve this one is to get a P7 and put it in the reflector I am thinking of and see what the beam is looking like.

Will try to pop over to our local engineering shop to get some off-cuts for a heatsink.

Nick

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Cree optic has a tighter beam than the Fraen optic. I do not have a Fraen reflector light.
Fraen optic left, Cree optic right.
MinimakleftLucidusXR-114500.jpg

Reflectors put a lot of light in the spill. SSC-P7 has a fairly wide hotspot.
L-mini Q5 left, MTE SSC-P7 right. Both with reflectors.
P7Lminibeamshot.jpg

Doh!Nut

Newly Enlightened
This post https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/201307 shows a photo of the Kahod reflectors beam.
A little strange as it has a kind of donut of Dark between the hotspot and the spill.

On the above post the cree optic looks nice, I could just fit in the optics but not the housings also unless I dropped to 5 xr-e.

Just got back from the Machine shop. They are going to make me a couple of heatsinks for me :laughing:. I knew they did not have a (working) lathe so nearly did not go round, but he is going to "turn" the puck shaped heatsink on the CNC MILLING machine:D - That is clever.

To continue my indecision I have asked them to make up two heat sinks:grin2:
If all goes well. I get the first one to work and mod a torch for a friend.

Nick

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
I would go with the CREEs.

I'd also recommend the OP aluminum reflector from DX, it's only $2.33 and works excellent.

Here's the Fraen reflector from cutter for $1.12USD
http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut738
P1010633.jpg

Here's the OP DX reflector seen here:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5951
P1010634.jpg

Fraen has a slightly tighter beam with more intensity right in the middle, but you can see the donut quite easily. I really like the DX reflector, smooths the beam well and has nice spill.