Lumapower new light = MVP

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Im excited that lumapower is releasing a new but im kind of dissapointed. The design is nothing new. 3 Q5 LEDs isnt really a new design.
Lumapower.com
700 lumens from a quality flashlight company is nice though rather than just the deal extreme lights with 3xQ5
Its got tail and body buttons like the pelican which is nice.
The light is kind of ugly but looks fairly solid.
Input from 5v to 12v
3 modes
regulated dc dc circuit.

I dont think ill buy this light without reading a good review first.
Depends on the price too, no price listed.

Not on batteryjunction yet though.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks pretty nice. I like larger lights that use both a body and tail switch, and the multiple battery options are always nice. Assuming the light is put together well, it should be successful.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MVP is listed fore pre-sale now - more on CPFM: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=180419

Fit and finish is beautiful. I have shown the prototype light to some CPF'ers under strict confidentiality (which i now release them from) so hopefully we'll see some comments here soon based upon those sneak peaks. :) We've been working on this light for 6 months and have worked very hard to get the details right.

Switching is not like the pelican - read the CPFM post for details but basically the tailcap is on/off/momentary and the side switch is for levels/modes.

The switch is quite innovative as is the heatsinking and the flex power inputs for a large light. Because of the appropriate heatsinking and actual use of Q5 emitters this light is far brighter than the 3-4 emitter lights from those makes. Also, the beam convergence is artful - outside of about 1.5M you cannot tell that it's 3 emitters unlike those other products where the beamshape and convergence is a mess on every unit I have seen.

Speaking of details and innovation - here's some things you'll want to know about the MVP:
The strobe is a REAL tactical strobe, not a flasher; we did quite a bit of reserach before determining the correct rate. Lastly the light has highly efficient current regulated DC-DC regulation. The tailcap switch (tactical clicky) stand's proud for tactical users, the light has a lanyard ring for those who feel them essential but is removable for those who don't want to use it. The front face is blacked out for tactical users to present less of a flash/target area. The lense is AR coated to maximize output and minimze flash/glare. The SideKick switch allows users to have a pre-set mode whether camping or doing a forced entry - no fussing with press and hold or cycling etc. The MVP is also made with T7 aluminum, not T6, which is what most lights are using. Oh and the MVP will be upgradeable - the reflector/heatsink section is modular - more on that later.

Once the lights release (7-10) days I think it will become obvious that the MVP is the brightest, most advanced LED light one can buy.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much will it cost? What kind of runtime will it get on high? Is it waterproof? What type of batteries does it take? Does it have rechargeable battery options?

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Im guessing it runs off of 2 18650s right? I like that it will be upgradeable and what not but the length is a big issue for me. My holster will only fit about an 8 inch light. The inova T4 just fits in it. Id love to have a 700 lumen light but if it doesnt fit then I wouldnt end up using it very often.
I have to wonder, with the R2s or the P7s, why go with 3 Q5s? They are good LEDs but why not be the first one with a quality P7? Are they hard to get or is it that lumapower has a large amount of Q5s lying around?

Im still waiting for an upgrade to the MRV from the Q2 to the Q5, and im wondering if it would even be worth it...

MattK
3 Q5s with 3 reflectors... try to sell this to me over a dereelight or a wolf eyes with the P7 with one emitter and one large reflector.
Can this MVP even throw as well as the MRV without the huge reflector or is this light more meant as a floody light?

Ok yes I see they have a DX-1 but why come out with both? Im very curious to see the beam shot comparisons.

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MVP will work with, per the description, a wide input voltage from 6.5-12.5V allows users to use a variety of battery types/combinations: 2XCR12A, 4XCR123A, 2X17650, 2X17670 or 2X18650 - the body length is resized accordingly.

I don't know if your holster will fit it but to be blunt it's a $200 light - if you can afford the light a new holster should be within reach. Depending upon your actual model of holster and it's flexibility it's conceivable that the MVP could fit it.

There are almost no R2's available. Most places selling R2's are not telling the truth. The P7 could make an appearance as an option but the the output froma Pt is totally different that that of 3 x Q5's - you'll have to wait for the beamshots.

Last edited:

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Matt K, i have a leather holster for my polystinger. The inova T4 just barely fits. I know i could buy a new holster but this is for uniform wear and its best to have the same holster even if you use a different light. That way during inspection we alll look the same. I might be able to add another snap though for another half inch of room.
I think the inova is just about 8 inches...

Also quick question, i was browsing your website and noticed the upgrade for the MRV to a Q5. I have the Q2 version and I am wondering how much different it is. 210 vs 265?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The head on the MCP is a bit bigger - though I bet your MRV drops right into nthe holster.

The Q5 is noticeably brighter. Is your Q2 the digital version or the original version? If you have the original, non digital you also get the added Digital functionality which is appealing.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like a great light Matt. I look forward to seeing it. Thanks for the sneak peek!

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's really very impressive. I've had a prototype to play with for like 6 months and have made a total nuissance of myself with LP to get the production done ASAP cause I thought it was so damned cool.

It's not for everyone. It's not an EDC light but it's like the size of a 2D M*g and 10X brighter. I know you're buying one - probably with 1 or 2 days shipping. :)

The MVP's are coming really soon, they've already shipped from HK so I'm thinking an early next week arrival date :)

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
The head on the MCP is a bit bigger - though I bet your MRV drops right into nthe holster.

The Q5 is noticeably brighter. Is your Q2 the digital version or the original version? If you have the original, non digital you also get the added Digital functionality which is appealing.

The MRV fits nicely. The head holds it up because its wider but there is a good inch or more of space left in the bottom of the holster.

Do you have the length of the MVP?

I also have to say that looking at the beamshots on the lumapower website it seams that the MRV still throws better. It appears that the MVP throws pretty well but more importantly effectivey floods the target even at a distance. I use the MRV in police work and sometimes the tight spot of the MRV isnt as good because of not as much flood. The The distance that the MVP floods at is very impressive.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dimensions: Length:236mm, Bezel Diameter:60mm, Body Diameter:28mm, Tail cap Diameter:32mm, Reflector Diameter : 20mm, Weight:383g(without batteries)

The lights are fundamentally different. The MRV is a dedicated thrower with a single large reflector which helps it focus the light into a very tight spot. The MVP is a very high output light capable of putting a lot of light signficantly downrange. For a LEO I think the right choice depends upon the environment that you work in - for an urban or suburban LEO the LumaPower M1 probably makes plenty of sense, the MRV for suburban and rural and the MVP for rural, tactical and general security usage - 700L is probably too much for urban LEO requirements.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Dimensions: Length:236mm, Bezel Diameter:60mm, Body Diameter:28mm, Tail cap Diameter:32mm, Reflector Diameter : 20mm, Weight:383g(without batteries)

The lights are fundamentally different. The MRV is a dedicated thrower with a single large reflector which helps it focus the light into a very tight spot. The MVP is a very high output light capable of putting a lot of light signficantly downrange. For a LEO I think the right choice depends upon the environment that you work in - for an urban or suburban LEO the LumaPower M1 probably makes plenty of sense, the MRV for suburban and rural and the MVP for rural, tactical and general security usage - 700L is probably too much for urban LEO requirements.

LEOs can never have too much light!

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
I'm no longer a police officer (may again be in the future) but as a correctional officer I could see a good use for this when working perimeter (something I know longer do as I'm a dorm officer). If I were still on the E-Squad I'd consider purchasing this.

That being said, while I'd like to have something like this when hiking, I'm afraid it would be too heavy. I took my N30 with me on a night hike that was about 2.5 miles and the weight eventually got to me. I know this won't way that much but when hiking a LONGER hike, every little bit counts. Thus the reason I switched to a Luma ConneXion as my hiking light.

I'm looking forward to first hand accounts and review of this light. If the price comes down and it does a great job out in the real world, I may consider scratching up the cash to purchase.

If I were one that were lucky enough to get a "try-out" of the light though, I'm afraid I'd likely end up buying it just because its already in my possession. LoL Can never have too much light I say.