Maglite 2D as a Thrower?

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that I have a JetBeam Jet-III Pro I.B.S. and ordered a EX10 as my EDC flashlight I'm interested in a Maglite with 2 D-celles. Is it a good thrower? And which LED do you recommend?

rayman

JamisonM

Enlightened
I've put my Malkoff drop-in in a 2D maglite and powered with 3 AAs and it was every bit the thrower it is in a 4D maglite. Get yourself a heatsink from H22A or LITEmania, a U bin (if you can, a U2 would be even brighter) Seoul P4 of a color of your choice, and a buck or boost (depending on how you plan to power this light) driver that will send 1A to the LED. Almost everything can purchased from CPF members directly or from their online stores.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
agreed with the aspheric Led M@g! a real thrower!

DSCN7135s.jpg

Last edited:

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok I'm sorry but I'm quite new here. Especially about throwers I have no idea. I like the Maglite 2D because it looks good and has a good power source. As I have a EDC and a Jet-III Pro I.B.S. I want to have a thrower. So I thought the Maglite doesn't cost to much and there are many possibilities to upgrade the D-Cell version of the Maglite it should be good as a thrower.

So a really important question:
What is brighter and better as a thrower for the Maglite 2D, LED or incandescents bulbs?

rayman

Last edited:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that I have a JetBeam Jet-III Pro I.B.S. and ordered a EX10 as my EDC flashlight I'm interested in a Maglite with 2 D-celles. Is it a good thrower? And which LED do you recommend?

rayman

rayman, where did you get your jetbeam? I'm still waiting for mine that I ordered over a month ago :(

WHO is the official jetbeam distributor in the US by the way?

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
GUys, if you mod a mag with the options described above, can you still focus it or is it a thrower ONLY? I'd love to get a light that does BOTH and gives good power but also that can be lowered for longer runtime.

nbp

Flashaholic
I want to have a thrower. So I thought the Maglite doesn't cost to much and there are many possibilities to upgrade the D-Cell version of the Maglite it should be good as a thrower.

So a really important question:
What is brighter and better as a thrower for the Maglite 2D, LED or incandescents bulbs?

rayman

The fact of the matter is, incans are still better for high output than LEDs. So if you want a ton of light, you're probably going to want an incan mod, unless you want to put multiple emitters in.

If you just want a small hotspot that goes a loooong way, an optic is very good, and you can use a lesser emitter. If you want a lot of light and a fairly substantial amount of throw, go for something like a ROP mod with a smooth or LOP reflector.

gunnars thread is very good for summarized all this info.

.....my take on the situation :)

edit: oh, and even if you mod your light, if you keep the cammed reflector you can still focus in or out.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want a small hotspot that goes a really a loooong way. So the best would be a aspheric lens?
And if I use this aspheric lens is the normal LED dropin from Maglite enough because I don't want to spend to much right now.
So which aspheric lens should I get?

Another question is it better to get the D-cells or a carrier for AAs?

rayman

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
KD has the whole kit, drop-in + lens for $40 shipped(though it will take a while for it to arrive). The normal MagLED drop-in would work too but you won't get as much throw.

The MagLED drop-in is only designed to handle so much voltage. You will break the drop-in if you hit it with 9v of 6 AA batteries.