Whats the difference in these LED's ?

ConfederateScott

Enlightened
This has probably been asked before and if it has I'm sorry, I missed it. I also searched and couldn't find the answer explained in terms I understood.

What is the difference between a R2 and a P4 and a Q5 ?

Also what does the word "bin" refer to? Does it actually mean what bin (as in box) an LED is put in as it is tested and sorted?

Is there a chart somewhere that tells what each designation is so I will know which one I want to buy?

Sorry again if this has been hashed before.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
457 posts and you still don't know what is a bin? A bin is a way to sort LEDs based on their brightness. P4 is dimmer than Q5 that is dimmer than R2, at the same drive level. That means that a R2 is more efficient than a P4. I don't remember the actuals lumens per watt values but I'm pretty sure someone else here does! ;)

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree bin# comes in 2 parts A brightness and a colour.

Here is a listing of the brightness bins.
Bin# on left, lumens @ 350mA in the middle, lumens per watt right.
Creeroadmap.jpg

Here is the colour bins for the cool white LEDs.
Look for the tint code (WC, WD, WG, WH most common in flashlights), then check out the colour in the box.
CreeXR-ECoolWhite.jpg

Here is the colour bins for the warm white LEDs.
5A is the only one in use for flashlights at this time.
CreeXR-ENeutral-WarmWhite.jpg

Here is the thread listing the bins for most of the LEDs
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/156772

bob4apple

Enlightened
WildChild said: "457 posts and you still don't know what is a bin? ".

Well, he knows now because he asked the question in this forum. And now I also know, so I'm glad the question was asked.
And as Marduke said: "...Cree uses a P4 bin, where SSC makes a LED whose model is P4, and they are not the same LED."

So I'm really glad to have this information, because I was assuming that all P4's are the same...and with the large number of
members on this forum, I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought that.

The more questions that are asked, the more I learn, so keep them coming everybody- no matter how many posts you have!