Novatac 120T help!

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey everyone,

I just messed up my newly acquired Novatac 120T. I clicked a whole bunch
of times and now it's behaving like a 85P. It's dimmer and it's fully programmable
like the P. Does anyone know the sequence to get it back to the 120T?
I've emailed novatac, but I'd figure I'd check here first :)

digitaleos

Enlightened
Not sure how you did it, I've never heard of that happening before. Best bet would be to try the factory reset. :shrug:

Chris

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure how you did it, I've never heard of that happening before. Best bet would be to try the factory reset. :shrug:
Chris
I've tried it several times... you know 5s bright, 2s dim, 3s bright.
It's neat playing with the P modes, but I want they 120 lumens and the T back! :p
Previous owner said that if you click like 500 times you can get to the menus
or something. :(

digitaleos

Enlightened
Well, since its behaving like a 120P you can program each level the way it was then do the lock out so you can't change the settings unless you do the factory reset. Sorry I can't be of more help but I don't have my 120P manual right now. I've always preferred the P model for the very reason that you can program it to act like either of the other two models or any way you prefer. YMMV :shrug:

Chris

digitaleos

Enlightened
4sevens,
While your here, I was wondering if you could help me out on a question I emailed to your store. Its about the Nitecore Extreme with the crenelated stainless steel bezel. Is the bezel going to look like the HA version or is it going to be less aggressive?

Chris

PS. Sorry to put you on the spot with this question, but I'm sure there are lots of other flashaholics wondering the same thing. Are the NDI and Extreme model Nitecores going to incorporate the PD system in the near future? :naughty:

Last edited:

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
4sevens,
While your here, I was wondering if you could help me out on a question I emailed to your store. Its about the Nitecore Extreme with the crenelated stainless steel bezel. Is the bezel going to look like the HA version or is it going to be less aggressive?
Chris
It'll be the same. I just updated the picts in the store. In the future, you can email [email protected] :D

Rat6P

Enlightened
but this is Good!

You have inadvertantly found how to program the non programmable version

I wonder if this means you can make an 85 into a 120

do you remember exactly what you did?

so you cant access the 120 level at all now?

scottaw

Enlightened
Just throwing this out there....sounds like your battery is dying and it's stepping down levels, i'm sure you have a fresh one around, give it a try.

As far as now being programmable, maybe someone put a P light engine in a T body...?

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
4sevens please forgive me if i miss something.
Is your Novatac 120-T or 120-P?
If 120-T it ain't programeable :D
It is most definitely a 120T. It's engraved on the light and it
behaved like one when I got it.
Just throwing this out there....sounds like your battery is dying and it's stepping down levels, i'm sure you have a fresh one around, give it a try.
As far as now being programmable, maybe someone put a P light engine in a T body...?
Nope, I have fresh cells in it. It responds to the P menus...
click click press and click click click press. Yes very strange. I'm going to talk
to Jim about this.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is your Novatac 120-T or 120-P?
If 120-T it ain't programeable :D

he claimed he read somewhere that if the 'T' was clicked ~500x, it would go into a Programming mode. personally, don't know. haven't yet and probably won't try it.

maybe 4seven's discovered and "easter egg" of sorts??? don't know.

EDIT:
----
4seven's give NovaTac Cust. Srv. a call. i spoke to them 4-6 wks ago (i forget the exact time frame). the made no less than three attempts to call me back (both at home & at work), b/f i reached them in response to one of their msgs. EXCELLENT Cust. Srv.

they were very helpful in getting a defective 120P working again.

Last edited:

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi David,
Have you tried a factory reset yet? Unscrew the battery cap, then tighten. The light will come on briefly, quickly hold down the button while the light is still on. It will cycle through 3 or 4 levels of light then shut off, release the button.

I don't believe Jim is still with Novatac. Give Jessie a call, he is very helpful.

Edit: I see you already tried the factory reset.

Last edited:

Triple A

Newly Enlightened
Hi David,
Have you tried a factory reset yet? Unscrew the battery cap, then tighten. The light will come on briefly, quickly hold down the button while the light is still on. It will cycle through 3 or 4 levels of light then shut off, release the button.

Not that it's needed, but +1 on the factory reset. Has fixed my light 3 times, and every problem was unique!! Good Luck- it's a great light and well worth the trouble. Just think "exotic cars sometimes need a little fine tuning...." Good Luck:thumbsup:

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Now, this is interesting.

You have to tell us exactly how many times you clicked so that all the 120T owners out there can try "break" theirs as well.

So, you have you tried to ramp the max setting beyond 85, as you'd be able to on a 120P?

Rat6P

Enlightened
Hi David,

Not that it's needed, but +1 on the factory reset. Has fixed my light 3 times, and every problem was unique!! Good Luck- it's a great light and well worth the trouble. Just think "exotic cars sometimes need a little fine tuning...." Good Luck:thumbsup:

If you read the more of the post you will see he has said that he tried the factory reset several times already.....its there..#3 :nana:

I wonder if some how you have reprogrammed a 120T to be an 85P. That is, I mean you have found a legit way/easter egg to change the behavior of the light.
Maybe there is a certain number of clicks for setting any light to be any P, T or E version.
For example 500 clicks gives you an 85p...345 = 120t 290 = 120e and so on. Hehe heres me wishing anyway.
Or its just FUBAR!
???
Hope it you get it going right again.

Last edited:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does a 120T even have a factory reset option. Since it can't be programmed, what's to reset. I don't have a 120T so I'm just asking.

Rat6P

Enlightened
......Good point! silly me

In the manual it only has the battery detect-reset. no mention of a factory reset at all.

:shrug:

alibaba

Enlightened
Seems like all the 120 series lights uses the same software and it even says in Novatac website that the `120t is "pre-programmed". David, you've obviously done what they never expected anyone to do..................the right number of clicks and presses to reprogram a "T". I'm guessin' that only a Novatac engineer will be able to get you back to where you want to be.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing you know you can download the user manual from Novatac if you don't have one? Not that it covers this scenario but it might help get it back close to the way you want until you get hold of Jim.
120P User guide