Packing foam material

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, seems I'm just full of all kinds of questions! Anyway, I am trying to find the name of the white plastic foam material which is used in packing electronic equipment, frequently computers. It is white, the sample I have in front of me seems to be cemented in layers to provide for the custom thickness needed, each layer being either a 1/4" or 3/8" in thickness. The foam is readilly compressible yet springs back into its original configuration. It is quite dense and won't absorbe water but, it appears to an open foam if that sounds reasonable. Any ideas on this wild goose chase? I'd like to use it for padding on cases where I store some of my lights and it appears to be much more durable than the Pelican foan inserts that come in those cases.

Karl

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know of what you are asking, but am unfamiliar with its trade name :sigh: . Lenovo shipped my T60 in the stuff. Might want to give Dow Chemical a call.

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been doing a search but lordy are there a ton of different materials!! I'd call Dow but I'm not sure of what to ask them....at least at this point....

Karl

allthumbs

Newly Enlightened
I`ve seen that foam also, but I don`t know what its name is. Add high density closed cell to your search parameters. I`ve also seen it in grey.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like expanded or extruded polystyrene.

Wiki article

EDIT: Forget that. I just read the "open cell" description above. In now know what product you are referring about. I will take a quick look for the name.

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
These looks like they just may be the place! Thanks, I'm gonna check them out tomorrow.:twothumbs

Karl

Last edited:

InTheDark

Enlightened
Could it be EPP or EPS foam? Frequently used in model airplanes, it's really durable stuff. Kinda feels like a rubber sponge.

http://www.ezonemag.com/pages/faq/a803.shtml

Nevermind, I thought of it and I think I know what you're talking about now, I actually have some in front of me. I always see it in pink though, so the white color threw me off. I only know it as anti static foam like in here

http://www.foamorder.com/packing.html

Last edited:

cat

Enlightened
karlthev, please let us know if you find the right name for it.

edit: I suppose they just call it packing foam, like on the foamorder site, with some codes like Y33, and CD30 for the pink, smooth anti-static kind.

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe it is polyethelyene closed cell foam and it comes in thicknesses of 1/8" to 2" and sizes of 108" X 24" or 1/2 sheets (half this size). It is manufactured in black, blue, white and pink. I am to be sent a sample this coming week to verify this as the correct product. I found this link
http://www.foamexpress1.com/Packaging_Foam.php from chimo:twothumbs
cat, this is the correct product I am almost 100% sure but as I indicated, I'll confirm later next week.

If this is not the correct one I do think I'll be investigating Lux's suggestion and link to the You tube demo of Magic Foam--it sure looks like a good lead! :naughty:

Thanks all!

Karl

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the delay, no doubt hundreds of you were on the edge of your seats about this one!:crackup:

I received a sample piece of foam from "Foam N' More"
www.foamandupholstery.com

They carry Polyethylene planks in various colors and sizes. Thanks again!

Karl