A flashlight for rough use

timsmile

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone:twothumbs,
i'm thinking of getting myself a flashlight light for rough use like camping and hiking and so on.....
would TK11 be a good choice as a rough use light? Is it reliable and tough enough? and is it bright and can throw a pretty long distance?
BTW, how would it be if comparing to my current SF E2DL :thinking:
Thx so much :grin2:

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TK11 will be a tough light and the throw will be similar to the E2DL. The low mode is 60 lumens or 25% of max output.
Both are good lights.

BTW Don't ask anyone to compare Fenix to Surefire on this forum. :welcome:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
TK11 outthrows E2DL easily. Even TK10 with MOP reflector (TK11-smooth) has better throw.

mskerritt7

Newly Enlightened
Not to discourage you from picking up another light, but why not use the E2D? It's pretty robust. As for the TKs (I have the TK10) they're great. The beam is perfect, and you pretty much won't be able to hurt it.
My only concerns with using it for camping/hiking, and why i don't, is that the low is too bright to wander out in the middle of the night unless your trying to spot something, and the run time is little low if you should happen to need light for a significant amount of time.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
For camping I'd be more inclined to use a non-metal light preferably one that's water resistant to a few meters at least. And for around camp a headlamp might serve you better than a long throw light. Pelican and UK come to mind.

-LT

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is your budget?

What do you want to use your light for?

When hiking at night I prefer a low-level light to preserve my night vision. I also like the option of a good output high in case I need to illuminate something that goes "bump in the night." I also prefer a floody beam for hiking, as if a light has an intense hotspot it becomes something like follow the bouncing ball.

Pick up a Novatac, older HDS EDC, HDS Ra, EX10, etc. All rugged little lights with multiple light levels. They are about ideal for hiking as they are small, lightweight, yet well made. I'd also highly recommend a good headlamp to keep your hands free.

timsmile

Newly Enlightened
I actually don't prefer using my surefire for camping and hiking because I think its reli expensive! I can't imagine what if I lost it or crash it, haha! Anyway, thanks so much for the advices! Are there any suggestion for a headlight with nice beam and flood? Or a cheap (compare to my E2DL) but robust flashlight for hiking?

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually don't prefer using my surefire for camping and hiking because I think its reli expensive! I can't imagine what if I lost it or crash it, haha! Anyway, thanks so much for the advices! Are there any suggestion for a headlight with nice beam and flood?

As I mentioned above, check out the Zebralight H30, it's a headlight. :) It's an 80 degree beam, all flood.

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=89&products_id=455

You can use discount code CPF8 for being a member of CPF. :)

dixemon

Enlightened
Pick up a Novatac, older HDS EDC, HDS Ra, EX10, etc. All rugged little lights with multiple light levels. They are about ideal for hiking as they are small, lightweight, yet well made. I'd also highly recommend a good headlamp to keep your hands free.

+1
Anything HDS or derivative there of, also the quad headlamp is a great inexpensive 3x aaa headlamp.

idiotekniQues

Newly Enlightened
i got my e2l cree to use not only around the house but also for camping. i know its tough and i find its beam and output just right for hiking with enough throw as well as a nice spill and wide beam. got a really nice wide spot.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Both are good lights, but careful just using Surefire and Fenix in the same post can trigger a large relatively useless argument.

As the others have said, the TK11(or the TK10 if you don't think you will use 18650 batteries) should be pretty tough and shouldn't have problem with harsh use.

But for hiking, you might need a lower low.

The Zebralight H30 should be a good headlamp. All flood and small too.

There are many lights that might suit your use. Finding the one that suits it best can be hard though.

:welcome:

robbied

Newly Enlightened
I would say get 2 lights if you can.

For camp use I find a headlight is ideal to keep your hands free. Holding a light and doing other things at the same time is a pain in the ***.

For hiking the TK11 would be good if low mode (60 lumens) is low enough for you. Use a 18650 cell for superior runtime. Turbo mode gives you 225 lumens for things that go bump in the night. If you want the option of a lower output (12 lumens, 53 lumens) then the Fenix L2DCE or P3D would be ideal depending on whether you want to use AA or CR123. Plus they crank out 180 and 215 lumens on turbo mode, repectively.

I have been using the L2DCE (pre-Q5) for the past year on a daily basis at work as a security officer. Also taken it camping a few times. I've used it in the rain and dropped it many times. I can vouch for Fenix reliability and durability.

Last edited:

timsmile

Newly Enlightened
ummmmm, the H30 sounds really nice, I think I will get myself one:twothumbs. And maybe I will have a struggling about whether I should buy the tk10 or not haha

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
For camping I'd be more inclined to use a non-metal light preferably one that's water resistant to a few meters at least. And for around camp a headlamp might serve you better than a long throw light. Pelican and UK come to mind.

-LT

non-metal. Now this is one area of flashlights that really needs to step it up with advancements. It's almost as bad as Mag.

Hello, Princeton-Tec...

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
I'd be inclined to also chime in with either Zebralight as a great simple headlamp, and a Ra Twisty for the essentially indestructible torch that you could pretty much depend on even if your campsite was hit by a meteor.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
non-metal. Now this is one area of flashlights that really needs to step it up with advancements. It's almost as bad as Mag.

Hello, Princeton-Tec...

There are a few high tech non-metal flashlights but not that I'd haul around for camping/hiking since they are a bit big; the Pelican police model and the Lumaray come to mind. I do like a number of the AA based lights from UK, Pelican and PT but they aren't exactly cutting edge but for camping and hiking I'm more interested in ease of use and resilience. (can I use them with gloves, waterproof, impact resistant)

Here are some I like though they don't meet all criteria: Pelican little Ed, UK eLED zoom with 90 degree head, PT EOS (wish it was AA) to name a few. None are barn burners but in most instances they'd be more that up to the tasks required and could take a beating as well. Some folks here have even updated a couple of these with the latest LEDs. (something I'd like to do to my Little Ed)

Just my 2 yen,
-LT

Last edited:

Stainz

Enlightened
My fairly new 6P LED was a pocket carry - until I got the Feniz P2D Q5 Premium in their '4n1' kit. Now, I feel naked without it on my belt - what a little wonder! My f-i-l had to have one, after seeing mine. The 12L for 30 hr should cover some significant map, etc, reading in the boonies - with some blasts of 180L on turbo 'when needed'. Mine has taken several launchings, sheathed, as I pulled my belt off my pants, forgetting it was there. It is a tough little guy. That '4n1' kit has a great advantage - leave a Li AA cell in the L1D's cell tube, with cover, in the carry kit - great backup. Of course, a properly stowed spare 123 would be better.

I can't get accustomed to headbands - my only one now being my wife's "I'm going spelunking in the attic!" companion.

Stainz