Phillips LED Candle

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Review forum? ill let the mods decide..:)

DSC00775.jpg

my Mum works for philips, and today she brought this back from the office...its a LED Candle! how cool..guess who wants to play with it...:whistle:

DSC00768.jpg

uses some kind of amber LED....its very soothing! and it flickers alot like a candle does.

DSC00766.jpg

it comes with some kind of diffusing cup.

it has a very nice candle effect!
DSC00774.jpg

I want a few of these, already asked my mum for another one. :whistle:

According to the Box, its using 2x 3mm Amber LEDs. It runs off 2x AAA for up to 50 hours according to the "Phillips Labratory Conditions"
Acording to the Spec sheet, its power is 0.1W

to see the Flickering effect, visit the links...

without the diffusser cup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdbcSeKd64Q

with the cup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgO5WU9JUDc

this will make a good subsitute until i save up for a milky candle, or until scott gets done with the flickering versions!

:)

Crenshaw

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
according to my mum, they are available throughout the world, in the US, theres even a rechargable version..

Crenshaw

houtex

Enlightened
When visiting my wife's grandma,she had some of these in her room at "the home" real candles are not allowed. Didn't get a brand name but they flicker like a real candle. You can see the sequence if you pay attention. They ran off of 1aaa.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
:shrug:

I not really surprised if its just rebranded stuff from Philips...but it IS quite cool...im even more wanting to get the Milky Candle with this effect.

Crenshaw

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Err... is it just me that finds flickering absolutely pointless- we've got the technology so it won't flicker! You don't get people putting cassette hiss onto MP3's or coffee stains on PDF's, so why oh why is the light flickering???:mecry:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Err... is it just me that finds flickering absolutely pointless- we've got the technology so it won't flicker! You don't get people putting cassette hiss onto MP3's or coffee stains on PDF's, so why oh why is the light flickering???:mecry:

It wouldn't do a very good job of simulating a candle if it didn't flicker. If you don't want flicker, don't buy a product that simulates a candle. :) Some people enjoy that flickering.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

????
Uuh... dont candles usually flicker? how would you simulate a candle without flickering effect?

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess my point was more, why would you simulate a candle? Give me a constant light source any day! :)

Zenster

Enlightened

If you can find an answer to that, then go a little further and tell me why vinyl records are making a comeback too.

Maybe someone's idea of a hot "retro" date might be sitting on the sofa with your cutey in a tie-dyed t-shirt (yea, just a t-shirt :D ), listening to music with snaps and crackles and pops in it, and with a flickering LED candle to set the mood.

Hmmm, is it just me or is it getting hot in here? :devil:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do we want LEDs that get "warmer" with hi CRIs as opposed to just Neutral White? or even Daylight? (daylight is actually cooler then incan light)

Its a matter of opinion i guess, but the flickering adds flavour to the light. I personally think its cool :)

Crenshaw

TOTC

Newly Enlightened
I guess my point was more, why would you simulate a candle?
Ambience
Main Entry:
pronunciation of ambiance \ˈam-bē-ən(t)s, ˈäm-bē-än(t)s\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
French ambiance, from ambiant ambient
Date:

: a feeling or mood associated with a particular place, person, or thing : atmosphere

Give me a constant light source any day! :)
The world had plenty of that: lamps, nightlights, recessed lighting, track lighting, flashlights, headlamps...

They don't provide the same atmosphere.
And yea, some people like candles for.... their effects.... on mood, let's say :naughty:
All the better to have LED versions that won't start a fire if knocked off the nighstands or shelves in the middle of... um........

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
GE also makes a very nice 2xAAA version, of which I bought four. I took one along during an eight day motorcycle camping trip through seven states. Having one setting up in the tent loft net made for a very cozy night light. Just enough light to hunt for the kleenex in the middle of the night, and very much more campy than a steady glow night light. One set of 2 AAA NiMH's lasted all seven nights. If one doesn't see the need to simulate flicker, try putting a real candle in your tent loft net and maybe you'll "see the light!"