A Less Tactical Light - Pics & Heat-Shrink Tubing

Dave Wright

Enlightened
Interesting how most flashlights are made to look tactical. Let's face it...most anything beyond round mill finish aluminum is vanity. HA III coatings on knurling crisp enough to saw through another flashlight body? What will that do to my pockets?

I've taken a different approach with a line of lights I just made as gifts for family members. They may not appreciate the Badboy 400s, Kroll switches, and glass lenses added to the Minimags they will open on their birthdays, but they WILL know that they are unique lights. I've only done this to several AA Minimags, but the principles and steps would work for many light models.

Here's what I do:

-- Choose an image and matching light body that they would appreciate. Mine is a topo map of Yosemite valley w/ a silver Minimag. My mother's is Van Gogh's "Starry Night" slightly color shifted to match the blue Minimag. My son's is Neiman's "24 Hours at LeMans" w/ a red Minimag.

-- Print the image on glossy photo paper.

-- Strip the light down to just the main tube. Carefully mask the entire body except for what will be visible when the flashlight is completed. To do this accurately you must assemble it, mark the mask locations, and take it apart again.

-- Carefully trim the photo to fit perfectly around the tube on the exposed area.

-- Dust the masked tube and both sides of the trimmed photo with spray adhesive.

-- Wrap the photo around the tube. It should be in exactly the desired location, but it doesn't have to be fully wrapped and adhered...actually it WON'T be fully adhered since photo paper is quite stiff and will spring away from the tube.

-- Slip a 1" diameter section of clear thin wall (about 1/32") shrink wrap tubing over the photo and flashlight tube.

-- Stick a pencil or dowel in the open end of the flashlight tube and heat the assembly rotisserie-style over a stove element until the tubing has fully shrunk. The best way to tell this is to use tubing that overhangs both ends of the flashlight body. You're done when those sections have shrunk to 1/2 their original diameter.

-- Let the newly coated flashlight body cool. If you're impatient this can be done by putting it in the freezer for a few minutes.

-- Carefully trim off the excess tubing. I get the best results by masking the end to be cut with a Post-It. That lends a guiding edge to my mat knife. Use a fresh blade for best results.

Reassemble the flashlight and you're done! If doing this to AA Minimags you really want to switch the light with a Kroll tailswitch. That way the art & tubing can be made to fit tight to the bottom of the lighthead. The completed lights look great, unique and professionally done, and feel better in the hand than stock Minimags.

I would like to post pics but don't have a webpage on which I can post them for reference from this post. Anyone want to post them for me? I would be happy to e-mail a JPeG.

I haven't used mine long enough to tell if there will be any slippage problem. I don't think there will, but it would be easily fixed with a few dots of epoxy injected on a dark spot between the photo & flashlight and photo & tubing.

Best Regards

gbreckley

Newly Enlightened
If you are having problems posting e-mail them to me (E-mail address is in profile) I will put them up for you, sounds like a great idea as well.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Where do you get the clear shrink tubing. All I can ever find around here is black.

-Jason

Dave Wright

Enlightened
Bart, thanks, I'll give that posting method a try.

gbreckley, I appreciate the offer. Will take you up on it if I can't work through Bart's method.

Jason, I got mine from mscdirect.com; I paid about $9 for a bag of 10 6" long x 1" diameter precut tubes. S&H ran about $7. The total of $1.60 per tube isn't that bad compared to how much $ is in the project otherwise. If bought in bulk rolls and cut to length the cost would drop dramatically - maybe 50 cents per light.

When I get the pic posting thing worked out I'll also put up a beam comparison of three of the lights. They're all BB400s but 1 is a Q3L.

Dave Wright

Enlightened
Here are the lights I made this past weekend:

fc5634ca.jpg

This is the comparison beamshot:

fc5634cb.jpg

One is a Q3L powered by partway used up NiMH. The other two are regular BB400s run by fairly fresh Eveready alkalines that came with the Minimag body. Any guesses on which is which?

Thanks to Bart for the posting instructions!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
very nice. Do you know the dimensions for the picture? so it will wrap around or does yours have a "seam"?

bucken

Enlightened
Nifty idea! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

What's the Item # of the tubing?

Dave Wright

Enlightened
IH,

Each picture is printed slightly larger than needed and tested/trimmed/tested/trimmed to get make the fit quite accurate and reduce the seam to a barely perceptible hairline. You'll want a sharp matt knife, good cutting surface, and steel straightedge for this.

The pictures are about 3 3/4" (length) x 2 1/4" (circumference). That's pretty small - you'll get good sharpness from many images clipped from websites, scanned from magazines and books, and many other sources.

Adjust color balance, brightness/contrast, sharpness, size, and other image qualities with one of the many basic photo editing programs that come with scanners, digital cameras, etc. My images were printed on a 4 year old cheapie HP Deskjet 722C set to "premium photo paper" & "best quality". The paper is HP's glossy photo stock.

Best of luck if you give it a try. I only wasted one while experimenting before getting reasonably good results.

Oh yea...here's more data on the tubing:

-- MSCDirect.com item # 03111168
-- Brand: 3M
-- Description: FP-301 Tubing, Color: Clear, Minimum Conductor Range: 1, Length: 6 In.
-- Mfr. part no.: 00051135365038

The tubing appears on page 3757 of the current MSC Big Book.

Take Care.