Mid-range flashlight with the PD system?

Chongker

Newly Enlightened
OK, so far we have the high-end stuff, the custom lights made by the inventor of the PD system himself, McGizmo. And now with the Nitecore D10 and EX10, we have a "budget" version of the system, at ~$50

Now, what i'm wondering is, are we going to see a slightly more expensive version, priced at around $70-80, packed with more features, more power and different styling? How about it? 4sevens, are you already working somewhere in the background to produce something like this? Care to chip in? :devil:.

The reason i'm asking is that I really, really want to pull the trigger on the EX/D10 (which are already innovative and feature packed), but don't want to get them and find that a newer, better light comes out the next day that I also absolutely have to have.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like a NiteCore "dumb" PD at a slightly lower price level. Two set levels - low (5lm) and high (100lm). Working just like the mcgizmo or SF L1.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
...The reason i'm asking is that I really, really want to pull the trigger on the EX/D10 (which are already innovative and feature packed), but don't want to get them and find that a newer, better light comes out the next day that I also absolutely have to have...

This tends to happen with rapidly evolving technologies. Usually waiting sometime after the release of a new light allows bugs to be fixed and/or better versions to be released. Based on the feedback I have read I think it would be wise to wait if you are still on the fence. You may have to wait a while though.

roymail

Enlightened
I'm thinking we'll probably see more lights using the PD system. Digital "smart lights" are here to stay but tail switches will be here for a long time, too because they're cheap and operate lots of other things besides lights.

Regarding the D10 and EX10, I'm glad there's now a more affordable version of the more expensive Nitecore. And, I applaud 4sevens for his success with these new lights. I'll probably be getting a D10 soon.

Chongker

Newly Enlightened
Cool to hear other people's wants :) Thanks for the replies. Things I would like to see are:

• 18650 body (I like small, but single AA or CR123 seem to short for my hands)
  • Higher max, somewhere in the range of 200+ lumens like the Extreme. The bigger body with more mass for heat sinking should allow for this.
  • Lightly crenelated bezel (scalloped). Just for the looks
  • Preferably not too tacticool
  • Lots of the same aggresive knurling
  • New reflector design. Have seen the beam shots of the LF5XT and it's beam looks great, so something like that would be nice :grin2:
  • Keep the current UI. Sounds great as it is so far, maybe with one or two minor tweaks.

LA OZ

Enlightened
I have found the piston drive switch need more regular service than normal switch. My D10 became less reliable after one week of use. A simple cleaning with a cotton bud on the point of contact is require to bring it back to its original state.

carrot

Flashaholic
I have been using my McLux PD for over two years without any problems and I have never cleaned it. Just relubed every few months.

I'm curious, are you using your D10 as a twisty or as a clicky?

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have found the piston drive switch need more regular service than normal switch. My D10 became less reliable after one week of use. A simple cleaning with a cotton bud on the point of contact is require to bring it back to its original state.
I've been playing with mine for hours each day, and it's been over a week, and no signs of any issues. In fact, I've gotten the UI down to a science, and can operate it nearly 99% accuracy.

What exactly was your issue? I never cleaned / lubed my D10. It's just the way it came from Fenix-Store. No problems from the get go, never took any extra care with my ND10, and it's been working flawlessly.

I'm not one to baby my lights any more, so I use and abuse the ND10. It's stood up to my use pretty well. I'm impressed.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldnt mind a 18650, 220ish lumen, decent sized reflector, tactical light with the PD system.

+1

both of those things, 18650, 5-10 lm low 200+ High, with a nice deep reflector like an mcr19xr. Or an optic, but I know a lot of people don't like optics, so I'd settle for a deep reflector. That would be probably the best production light available. (for me):faint:

LA OZ

Enlightened
The problem is when I click the piston, it traveled with an impression that it clicked but the light won't response. I have to push it unnaturally hard to have a more consistent response. Once I clean the contact and re-lubricate the piston or simply remove and reinsert the piston, it was ok for a while before it freeze up again. I do use a low viscosity lube. Don't get me wrong as I really like the piston switch concept. I think it can be improve by giving more consistent feed back to the user.

Last edited:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a very low viscosity lube after the original lube* the piston had one it meant that momentary was unpredictable, sometimes staying on after I released the button. Now it works flawlessly :)

*Not sure if it actually had any lube on to start with TBH.