L1DQ5 different tint than L2DQ5

Marlinaholic

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, I am new to CPF, but have been reading through old posts and learning what I can. Just got a new L1DQ5 and L2DQ5 and both are nice lights, but my L1D has more of a blueish tint to its beam on the first 3 light levels while my L2D has more of a yellowish tint. Both have the OP reflector. Both are using new Duracell NIMH LSD batteries. I swapped heads and no change, so its a characteristic of the head. Is it kinda normal to get different tints with these lights? Those of you who own more than one Fenix, do they sometimes vary from one to another as to tint? I know my Sportsman Xtreme AA lights vary quite a bit from blueish to purple from one to another. I hate to say it, but my TerraLux TLF AA 140 lumen lights seem to be the most consistent, bright white for both of them I own and they are cheap.

Marduke

Flashaholic
It's called the "tint lottery". Each LED can vary in tint. IIRC, Fenix usually uses WC, WG, or WH tints.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It's the same tint lottery that has been in play for since white LEDs came to market(well maybe back in those days it was more of mine is less blue then yours rather then mine is warmer tinted then yours).

White LEDs are made on the same line and then tested and sorted. Some(probably most) companies use LEDs from different tint bins and that is why some of them are warmer then others.

It's normal even if the company use the same bin for all their lights. LEDs of the same bin have a slightly different tint then each other. The difference is much smaller though.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

Yes as others have stated it's normal.

My L1D Q5 has a different tint from my L2D Q5, and my D10s have slightly different tints as well.

Like all things in life not there's always a slight variation no matter how carefully something is made.