When do you say you have enough lights?

roksx

Newly Enlightened
Once you have the best light for every possible situation!

Right now I've get a floody light coming in because my L2 doesn't cut it anymore. I've also got a Nitecore D10 on it's way because I don't have a small AA light yet. Hopefully that will cover most situations I could find myself in once or twice per year, but if anything better comes along I'll have to get that as well.. Maybe I need a glo-toob for when I ever go camping again.

The answer might be never :/

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you have more lights than you can carry* at any one time, you have too many lights.

* Backpacks are allowed ;)

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with roksx. I have 3 D10s, one for EDC, one for my travel bag, and one in the drawer to loan out to friends / family.

I also have a Zebralight H50 for yard work, along with L2D for longer types of trips to go hiking, as well as L0D / LF2X for when I really need a small light and can't carry my bigger AA lights with me (not often), and my E01 on my keychain as back up.

For now my needs are very well met. I bought other lights (like the LF5XT / JetBeam/ NDI) solely to try them out. If they don't appeal to me as much as the lights I have, I get rid of them.

EDIT: PS my beloved L1D is now my back up light and spare AA battery carrier, and sits in the car or bag waiting to be used in case my EDC D10 runs out of power or fails for any reason.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
around now I would say yes :), and it will last indefinitely if you don't visit the forum every other day. If you look around the LED technology thats circulating in this forum is still far more advanced than the LED technology being utilized in store bought consumer grade lights, theres a period of illumination superiority that tricks you into thinking you have the best lights. the feeling can last for awhile which is good [if your broke like me :broke:] but the magic disappears immediately after returning to the forum. :ohgeez:

Once you have the best light for every possible situation!
good luck:devil:
over time you'll be forced to learn the ability to compromise. I started off my forum days EDCing 4 lights, then as I gradually found more and more applications I begin to EDC more lights. I've EDC'd 8 lights at one time...10 being my theoretical limit before I lose the ability to run and jump over fences. Those 8 lights covered everything from keyhole illumination within a couple of inches to animal identification at 200+ feet...but over time you get familiar with the lights around here and select your arsenal accordingly :)

As for now I EDC 3 lights out of 33 to choose from
Fenix L0D-CE Q4
Surefire E2L CREE single stage
Surefire A2 Aviator [A2-HA-WH]

I can say with confidence that as for now there will not be any new lights:devil:

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
When you have more lights than you can carry* at any one time, you have too many lights.

* Backpacks are allowed ;)

I suppose that your mean, that the backpack is only used for flashlights?:crackup:

I believe that all my flashlights will fit in a big backpack!

Beer

Enlightened
I believe that all my flashlights will fit in a big backpack!

Sadly not all of mine will. I don't even think I could fit my Harbor Freight HID in a backpack. :tinfoil:

If I had to get rid of all of my lights I except for a few I would keep:

Fenix P3D
SF A2
ROP 4D
Sams HID or Amondotec N30.

By that argument, as soon as I purchased those I had enough lights. Everything else is just a bonus. :crackup:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sadly not all of mine will. I don't even think I could fit my Harbor Freight HID in a backpack. :tinfoil:

If I had to get rid of all of my lights I except for a few I would keep:

Fenix P3D
SF A2
ROP 4D
Sams HID or Amondotec N30.

By that argument, as soon as I purchased those I had enough lights. Everything else is just a bonus. :crackup:
LOL nice signature. Maybe you've got enough lights if they can't fit in your CPF signature? I haven't hit my limit yet... :laughing:

zven

Enlightened
When do you say you have enough lights?

Short answer: Never.

Slightly longer answer: Once you have all the lights you want.

Long answer (abridged): "Enough" is a quantity that varies from person to person, so there's no absolute number or universal conditions. But basically, you'll have "enough" when your purchases have satisfied whatever motivation drives your need or desire for flashlights. If you only buy lights because you need them for work, you may have "enough" after just one or two lights. However, I somewhat doubt that the majority of CPFers fall under (only) that category. So, for some, "enough" might mean one of every light that will ever be useful to him or her; for others, maybe every light with certain visual appeal; for yet others, as soon as the absolute best and brightest has been bought.

Myself, I'll have enough when I have the best (affordable within my budget) light for every situation I may encounter. I've got somewhere around 9 lights right now (not a lot, I know...), and each of them has a fairly distinct function, use or purpose to me. There are still some uses/purposes that I haven't completely satisfied yet (such as a good AA light), so I fully expect my herd to grow. And of course, since LED technology gets more advanced, I'll purchase upgrades and new replacement lights for my armada as they become available. So for me, "enough" will likely be never, since technology won't stop advancing, but short of that, I'd say I'm five or so lights away from my limit. (No, really, I am; I'm the same way with knives - addicted until utility is satisfied, which ended at about 11 knives.) (That's not to say, of course, that I won't buy "more than enough", of either knives or flashlights).

Note that the above criteria for "enough" apply only to flashaholics. I would expect the average layperson to have "enough" at one or two, or $25, whichever came first.

Beer

Enlightened
LOL nice signature. Maybe you've got enough lights if they can't fit in your CPF signature? I haven't hit my limit yet... :laughing:

Sadly again, I have run out of space in my sig. I have quite a few more lights now but no place to list them.

Hmmmm

I wonder if the mods alowed bigger sigs, would that mean I no longer have enough lights. :crackup:

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
After you buy just about everything on the market, the buying slacks off. Trust me on this.

I still buy the latest and greatest Fenix lights, though.

It just leaves more funds for knives, guns and other toys. :nana:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Akin to asking when do you say you have enough guns, ammo and knives? The answer is as long as you can afford your hobbies, never :) .

NightFlyer

Newly Enlightened
I have enough now to cover my needs. I have a couple of Inova lights - an X5 for my laptop bag, thought I lost it, got it back after finding out I'd left it at a neighbor's house. This light is the IT pro's dream. Tough, has a cool hi-tech look, provides enough floody lighting for up-close use yet provides plenty of battery life for those long weekend jobs.

Then I have my T2 for outdoor long-range use. A truly great light to use. Feels wonderful in the hand, provides really nice bright throw and still gives 4.5 hours of battery. I also have a ROV Sportsman Xtreme 3w (has a low bin Rebel) and also a Maglite 3AA LED that lives in my car.

Now, I don't need one, but I want an Ra Clicky when it comes out. I'll probably buy a Fenix or two, considering the store is right in Tucker, 40 minutes from where I live. But these aren't really needed, I'd just like to have them. The idea behind the Ra Clicky is it's the best all-rounder to go literally anywhere, so it'll most likely become my EDC light. I also like the idea of a light that will survive anything an outdoor trip can dish out.

Ritch

Enlightened
I am very interested in tecnical progress. There will always come newer, better, brighter, smarter flashlights. That means never.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
I WILL NEVER SAY THAT! if women can have a purse or shoes for every occasion, why cant we have a flashlight for every situation or occation! not untill they have a shape shifting flashlight, that can change its reflector's shape , also accept any batt ever made in the world, and produce from .0000001 lumens all the way to the lumens of the sun. .....am i missing anything? well anyways, there wont be a flashlight that meets those standards, so i will never say i have enough!

greenLED

Flashaholic
Does it ever happen?
If it does, does it last long?
Yes.
Been there for about 1.5 yrs now - blame it on finding the "right" lights for what my needs are and not being able to justify getting more that would simply duplicate what I already have and need.