Yawn..Waiting on New LED Technology

hivoltage

Enlightened
OK, I have a Jetbeam II Pro, a NiteCore Extreme, a Derelight CL1H V3, Fenix TK10, Fenix PID CE Q5....all the brightest small cell LEDs out there, and I love them all. But, somebody give me a wake up call when a new LED comes out that will just blow existing lights away.

Is something like that on the horizon? Am I missing something?

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the LED used in the new SureFire Invictus? 400 lumens from 2xCR123.

Is that just another Cree or something new?

alibaba

Enlightened
OK, I have a Jetbeam II Pro, a NiteCore Extreme, a Derelight CL1H V3, Fenix TK10, Fenix PID CE Q5....all the brightest small cell LEDs out there, and I love them all. But, somebody give me a wake up call when a new LED comes out that will just blow existing lights away.

LOL, and the beat goes on. I'm just curious as to what you need out of a small torch that yours don't provide? What, can't they be used to light campfires yet? Can't be used to illuminate farther than you can see? Do you USE the lights you listed or just play with them?

Yawn he says..........like he's bored with his new light the day it arrives! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Freedom1955

Enlightened

I have a P1D CE Q5 and if and when somebody can come up with a better all around light (same size):nana:I will pass out. Mine is unbelievable. White as white can be and brighter than you can imagine with good run time.

ToeMoss

Newly Enlightened
hivoltage;2572386OK said:

A wake up call may be in order.
The new P7 LED's seem like a pretty big jump.
But then, I'm somewhat new to this so don't really have a great feel for the pace at which the technology is improving.

Last edited:

Retinator

Enlightened
There is loads of goods in development. Since it's been ages since the last big thing, I hope everyone's wallets have swelled some.

When the dam breaks, lookout! On the bright side, there should be a few toys ready for the holiday season. Maybe not the big guns but hey grab what ya can when they come.

hivoltage

Enlightened

LOL, and the beat goes on. I'm just curious as to what you need out of a small torch that yours don't provide? What, can't they be used to light campfires yet? Can't be used to illuminate farther than you can see? Do you USE the lights you listed or just play with them?

Yawn he says..........like he's bored with his new light the day it arrives!

Chill Out Dude.....Just wanting to know whats on the horizon. I never said I hated all my lights...LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can't speed up the rate of development. LED's are going to follow the usual curve in improvements (look up Haitz's law) just like semiconductor technology has followed the famous Moore's law. The ones that appear to be "breakthroughs" are actually not real breakthroughs. For instance, multiple emitters in the Ostar or P7. They are really just cramming more power into a smaller area. They are not increasing efficacy, in fact, in most cases, the efficacy drops due to thermal issues.

David Gretzmier

Newly Enlightened
It does seem like 2007 got me spoiled. it seems like new bins came out like crazy on the cree. and the p7 was an awesome boost. but yeah, we seem stuck at r2 crees, p4 and p7 ssc's. I'm always happy when the next bin comes out or a new led entirely.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Any one remember "Cree Achieves 1000 lumen"?

Do you think that could have been a MC-E or could it be something else that they might release before then end of next year?

Fird

Enlightened
Wow, individual dies, i was waiting for someone to do this, then we can have simple "low" modes, select 1 or 4 dies. of course pwming all 4 dies works as well (hey, build a pwm driver that flicks the LEDs off in sequence rather than at the same time, less flicker).

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
I am patiently waiting for a major increase in lumen output with single chip LEDs.

Because when the Optimus comes out, I am going to mod that sucker. Mind you I am impatiently waiting for the Optimus. Maybe I'll get lucky and both will come out at the same time.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any one remember "Cree Achieves 1000 lumen"?

Do you think that could have been a MC-E or could it be something else that they might release before then end of next year?
It defiantly was not an MC-E. The 1000 lumen led they talked about was from a single die. Albeit slightly larger. Can you imagine stuffing 4 of those dies into the MC-E package? Yes the future looks bright.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO we were spoiled all last year with the rampant cree invasion. Think back on how long we were stuck playing with the Luxeon III and and V.
Now there are a couple things that could happen in the future of LEDs.

First is further outright increases in efficiency. 250+ Lumens per Watt baby!
Another thing is increases in green LED efficiency and the rollout of RGB LED lighting into the "mainstream."
Then of course we have better thermal management and ability to handle more power in an LED package. Imagine being able to put 10W into a current cree die without much droop. Then for the throw crowd take an emitter and shrink its surface area to 1/4 of their current size with the same output. Surface brightness ftw!
Finally we could see a nice jump in power storage. Imagine a rechargible AA sized cell with 5 amp hours of capacity and a 5C discharge rate... even if its a 1.2v that's a lotta energy... at 3.0v wow!

How much of this will come to pass in the next 5 years I couldn't guess, but it is exciting to think about. Besides I don't want things to happen too fast or I'll have an even harder time trying to figure out what I can afford to buy.