Beamshots for Fenix, Surefire, and LEGO lights

desertrat21

Newly Enlightened
I wrote up some flashlight reviews for a few organizations I belong to and compiled my photography on a web page for reference. I just thought everyone here might find the information interesting or helpful. The organizations I did the reviews for are wildlife photography/field herpetology (study of reptiles and amphibians) related. The subject in the beamshot section is a 2' long rubber snake... used in order to demonstrate the relative effectiveness of each light with regard to illuminating reptiles at night.

Here's the link:
Beam Shots

Last edited:

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
The pics won't load on my computer for some reason.
thinking.gif

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW!! Very Nice Work

All of those are so clear and the way everything is set-up looks great!

Good job! and Thanks for sharing!

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
Nice beamshots! Is it just me, cause in the picture the SF E2DL seems to be in par with the TK10 's brightness. If my eye's are not playing me the E2DL would be pretty impressive.

desertrat21

Newly Enlightened
Nice beam shots! Is it just me, cause in the picture the SF E2DL seems to be in par with the TK10 's brightness. If my eye's are not playing me the E2DL would be pretty impressive.

All the photos were taken with identical camera settings so the impression you get is pretty accurate. I will say that the beam shots understate spill so while the spots of the lights are easy to differentiate, it may be difficult to fully appreciate the ones that are a bit more floody. The E2DL is more throw oriented and the TK10 relatively flood oriented (although it does have a good spot), and you may not be able to appreciate the "floodiness" of the TK10 with that particular exposure. Sometimes I buy lights... put them through a trial period... and pass them on. The E2DL was impressive enough that it stayed in my collection after its trial period and squeezed its way into my EDC rotation. I put some diffusing film on the lens to eliminate some of the optic-generated artifacts and it's even more impressive to me now. Other than the difficulties that the sharp crenelated bezel creates for pocket-carry, I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with the E2DL.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
All the photos were taken with identical camera settings so the impression you get is pretty accurate. I will say that the beam shots understate spill so while the spots of the lights are easy to differentiate, it may be difficult to fully appreciate the ones that are a bit more floody. The E2DL is more throw oriented and the TK10 relatively flood oriented (although it does have a good spot), and you may not be able to appreciate the "floodiness" of the TK10 with that particular exposure. Sometimes I buy lights... put them through a trial period... and pass them on. The E2DL was impressive enough that it stayed in my collection after its trial period and squeezed its way into my EDC rotation. I put some diffusing film on the lens to eliminate some of the optic-generated artifacts and it's even more impressive to me now. Other than the difficulties that the sharp crenelated bezel creates for pocket-carry, I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with the E2DL.

:twothumbs Thanks for that info!

desertrat21

Newly Enlightened
Milkys Creemator rocks it!

THAT is an understatement. Those little Creemators are outstanding. I use mine more than any other light I own and even though I've had it for a while my heart still skips a beat every time I hit that tailswitch. During my pre-mod existence I'd always heard good things so I finally decided to test the Milky waters for myself with an order for a Creemator. I was really shocked. I like pocket rockets so the Creemator made me giddy. Scott did such a good job I quickly made arrangements for mods to a U2 and E1e. I can't wait for them to get back home.:naughty:

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SF M6 with LF bulb and LF EO9 bulb in leef body and 6p bezel really have that much of a difference in color? Consider they are both xenon and rated for the same lumen?

desertrat21

Newly Enlightened
The SF M6 with LF bulb and LF EO9 bulb in leef body and 6p bezel really have that much of a difference in color? Consider they are both xenon and rated for the same lumen?

Surprisingly, yes. Those photos look very similar to the way the lights look to me in person. I also have an EO-M3T (450 bulb lumen) for the M6 and while it isn't as white as the HO-M3T, it's nowhere near as amber as the E09... of course both the EO-M3T and HO-M3T are being driven by six primaries and the EO9's only being pushed by 3 (I was using 3 primaries in the Lego and not 2 18500s).

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm I wonder if it's due to the lower voltage so the burn temperature of filament is lower in your lego. Then again it's likely I'm totally wrong since I know nothing about incans, heh.

Still that's really too amber to me for light with that much output, almost like dying incan mag amber.

Very nice comparison, it really let you see all the blue in LED lights even thou they appear quite white by themselves.

Last edited:

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
having a multi-colored, hard to spot target for showing how the lights can be used is the most perfect idea to test the usefulness of lights. just genius. amazing job, added it as a bookmark :thumbsup:

desertrat21

Newly Enlightened
Still that's really too amber to me for light with that much output, almost like dying incan mag amber.
quote]

Most of the incandescents look pretty amber in photographs with a static white balance setting... especially relative to the LEDs. The two LF bulbs seem much whiter than most normal incandescents.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice. But you really need some big power, scare-the-wildlife lights as part of the session :) .