Beamshots for Fenix, Surefire, and LEGO lights

crocodilo

Enlightened
All the photos were taken with identical camera settings so the impression you get is pretty accurate. I will say that the beam shots understate spill so while the spots of the lights are easy to differentiate, it may be difficult to fully appreciate the ones that are a bit more floody. The E2DL is more throw oriented and the TK10 relatively flood oriented (although it does have a good spot), and you may not be able to appreciate the "floodiness" of the TK10 with that particular exposure. Sometimes I buy lights... put them through a trial period... and pass them on. The E2DL was impressive enough that it stayed in my collection after its trial period and squeezed its way into my EDC rotation. I put some diffusing film on the lens to eliminate some of the optic-generated artifacts and it's even more impressive to me now. Other than the difficulties that the sharp crenelated bezel creates for pocket-carry, I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with the E2DL.

Could you please further elaborate on that "diffusing film on the lens"?

I've just acquired an E2DL (on the mail now), and am kinda sensitive regarding beam artifacts...

Thanks.

desertrat21

Newly Enlightened
Could you please further elaborate on that "diffusing film on the lens"?

I've just acquired an E2DL (on the mail now), and am kinda sensitive regarding beam artifacts...

Thanks.

I bought some stuff made by a company calles "Fellowes". The film is called "WriteRight" and is a screen protecting film for PDA's. It's along the lines of a static cling plastic film and if you take the time to cut a nice fitted circle (I used a compass to do it) and apply it to a clean lens on your light it does wonders for eliminating artifacts. It made my E2DL as soft and fuzzy as can be and all with an extremely small, nearly unnoticeable affect on transmission and throw. It's WONDERFUL. I bought mine on eBay (They're 2" squares and they come in packages of 12) for around $5. Good luck!

crocodilo

Enlightened
desertrat21, thanks very much for this info, looks to be a great idea! My new E2DL is in the mail, and I might try this also with my L1.