Question about the E2DL

riceboy72

Newly Enlightened
Greetings everyone,

I received a Surefire E2DL yesterday as a gift and of course, as soon as it got dark, spent too much time wandering around outside and lighting up things that just needed a little bit of light on them (or a lot of light, depending).

Anyway, I liked what I read here on the E2DL so that influenced my choice to ask for this light. The throw is everything everyone said it would be, and the light overall is excellent. It is typical of Surefire quality, but there's one thing that bothers me so I come to you all - the experts -to tell me if I should be concerned or not.

The beam from my E2DL isn't as clean as I thought it'd be. The hotspot doesn't seem centered and there's quite a few rings when I point it at something close. Is this normal, especially with the use of the TIR optic? Granted, I know that white wall hunting at 10 feet shows everything, but I'm not sure if this is because of the optic. I dug and dug last night on CPF thinking I had read something about this, but I couldn't find the information. Also, the yellow halo is there - is this a Cree characteristic?

I think I'm too used to the P60L with the OP reflector and the Malkoff M60L, both of which are clean with nice, even hotspots and no artifacts or rings. Am I making a big deal out of nothing and is this normal? Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings everyone,

I received a Surefire E2DL yesterday as a gift and of course, as soon as it got dark, spent too much time wandering around outside and lighting up things that just needed a little bit of light on them (or a lot of light, depending).

Anyway, I liked what I read here on the E2DL so that influenced my choice to ask for this light. The throw is everything everyone said it would be, and the light overall is excellent. It is typical of Surefire quality, but there's one thing that bothers me so I come to you all - the experts -to tell me if I should be concerned or not.

The beam from my E2DL isn't as clean as I thought it'd be. The hotspot doesn't seem centered and there's quite a few rings when I point it at something close. Is this normal, especially with the use of the TIR optic? Granted, I know that white wall hunting at 10 feet shows everything, but I'm not sure if this is because of the optic. I dug and dug last night on CPF thinking I had read something about this, but I couldn't find the information. Also, the yellow halo is there - is this a Cree characteristic?

I think I'm too used to the P60L with the OP reflector and the Malkoff M60L, both of which are clean with nice, even hotspots and no artifacts or rings. Am I making a big deal out of nothing and is this normal? Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!
That's perfectly normal with any type of collimating lenses. And TIR is the very best of this type.

Congratulations on your new acquisition.

tazambo

Newly Enlightened