Checking in on the world of flashlights--LEDs and Surefires

Daravon

Newly Enlightened
First of all, I haven't been into the world of flashlights in a while, been concentrating on other hobbies. So I'm just kind of checking in on things to see what I missed.

The first real flashlight I bought was a Surefire G2. I used it daily to deliver pizza, for years, but it got stolen. By then realizing the true value of a good, quality flashlight to those that lurk in the darkness, I replaced it with a E2e, which is practically the same light, performance wise, just smaller and much nicer.

But every few months I got to cabelas and check out what they are offering regarding LEDs. They are usually pathetic. Unbrite, blue, and at a premium price even on top of the high surefire prices.

I'm really disappointed with surefire's LEDs. It's pretty sad when the asian imports are brighter with better color at a third the price. I didn't have any problem spending $110 on my E2e back when it was state of the art. But if you are going to position yourself as a premium flashlight company you'd better stay on top of the latest developments.

Last I checked a year or two ago, it was no secret that LEDs are taking over in a big way. My fenix L1p (which I bought for EDC, due to size and ability to take AAs) is brighter AND lasts much longer on its ONE AA battery (I actually use a CR123 in it, so it's not just significantly but much brighter). And it's cheaper and smaller. But, it's not nearly as nice as the E2e. I want to use the Surefire since it's such a quality feel, but it lasts half the time on twice the batteries, and it's just not that bright anymore in comparison.

Have surefire gotten on the ball lately, and/or are there good LED drop-ins for the E2e yet?

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
KX2C is on sale at www.brightguy.com for $90. I would recommend spending $136 on the E2D LED defender.

I use to have a Surefire E2e as an EDC but my Surefire L1 Cree has replaced it.

LED's have come a long way and while Surefire may be one step behind in flashlight advancement for the mass produced market, their designs/production quality is a heck of a lot more robust IMHO than most China made lights (Fenix from 4seven's being an exception that that rule.) Call me SF bias but I like them... a lot.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
i like my E1L alot (gen1 luxeons), but its good to own lights of several other brand just to know why Surefires are still considered the better light out there.

the other lights include Pelican, Inova, Gerber & MTE i own. while they are nice for their price / lumen ratio, some lights like Surefires are more than just lumens, lumens & more lumens. :grin2:

Chadder

Enlightened
I still love my E2E, but it rarely gets used. If you invest in the E2DL or the E1B you will not be disappointed. You will not regret the purchase. The color and output are much better than previous surefire LED's and of course the overall quality of the product is second to none. (In my opinion of course) If you buy one you will soon have the other!!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'm guessing that you already know about the current gen LED which are twice or more efficient then the Luxeon I, III, V, and K2s right?

The main thing about LED drop-ins and the E series Incans is that there isn't much space for heatsinking and only a few high power LEDs can fit in the bulb's socket. It's much easier to have someone mod the light for you or to purchase a new LED head.

Surefire does have newer LED lights out. The E1L, E2L, E1B, E2DL, and the P60L module.

There is one LED drop-in for the E series.

Daravon

Newly Enlightened
I'm guessing that you already know about the current gen LED which are twice or more efficient then the Luxeon I, III, V, and K2s right?

Well the last LED I bought was my fenix L1P Cree edition, and the Cree LEDs were all the rage then. Is there even better LEDs now?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I've never heard of the L1P Cree, do you mean the L1D-CE?

There are higher binned LEDs out right now(more efficient) and Luxeon has released(and recalled) their Rebel and TFFC K2s(more efficient then the lower K2s).

Seoul has put 4 of their P4's dies into one package and made the P7. They usually run at 3.6v 2.8 amp and have a output of 700-800 lumen(the bin goes up to 900 lumen but I don't think that that is now).

Daravon

Newly Enlightened
Yes, that's the one I have, sorry. I bored it out to take a CR123 battery.