Would you buy a light because you know it'll raise sharply in price?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well we all know now that SF will raise price next month, the two most inflated lights are E1L and E1B, which will see 30% and 35% raise in price respectively. Now the question is, will you hurry and buy one to avoid the price raise, even though you don't really need or even want either?

I already have L1, I'm happy with it and don't really want another 1 cell light similar in function and only half an inch smaller. I don't think I'll buy either, but I'm still on the wall about it because I may want either in the future.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you know and why is SF raising their prices?
Yaesumofo

Well we all know now that SF will raise price next month, the two most inflated lights are E1L and E1B, which will see 30% and 35% raise in price respectively. Now the question is, will you hurry and buy one to avoid the price raise, even though you don't really need or even want either?

I already have L1, I'm happy with it and don't really want another 1 cell light similar in function and only half an inch smaller. I don't think I'll buy either, but I'm still on the wall about it because I may want either in the future.

H2Orower

Enlightened
I'm a little tempted to go out and get a E1L to add to my collection. The light interested me even before the news of a price increase, so now there is that little extra motivation. The only problem is that I've had a particularly bad last couple months expense wise, including two recent Surefire purchases. I'm hoping a couple of my local stores will still have a E1L with the old price when I'm ready for another light purchase. We'll see. :broke:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first post already summarized it, SF is raising prices.
:candle:

I find myself strangely drawn to buying one, even though I certainly don't need one. Actually I don't even want one for anything except for modding. I have come to the decision that its not worth it, and I'm not going to let SF raising prices dictate my buying habits. I will stick with my mantra of I don't do MSRP. (though I'll admit I'm seriously considering actually buying a Saint Headlamp if they reviews are good)

Monocrom

Flashaholic

If you had asked me this morning, I would have said yes. But now, I can honestly say no.

I went to an Authorized Surefire dealer in Manhattan, today. My plan was to buy a Surefire E1B before the price goes up. Sure enough, they had E1Bs in stock for $110, instead of the soon-to-be $149. And I figured it would be nice to have another, quality, 1xCR123 light next to my Novatac 120P.

The Dealer had Display models out, so I tried an E1B before buying it.... And after trying it out, I didn't buy it.

This is possibly the most poorly-designed Surefire light that I have ever held. I knew the light would be a bit slippery, due to a lack of checkering on the barrel. But slippery does not even begin to cover it. (I had a plastic bag in my right hand. Bought a good quality pen from a different shop in Manhattan. Walked about half an hour to the shop of the Authorized Dealer. Had a tight grip on the bag. When I opened my hand, there was a bit of sweat on it).

When I gripped the light in my fist, I could literally feel it shifting around in my closed fist! What the Hell?? I saw Surefire's promotional video. Are there really that many LEOs who have suffered from other Surefire lights tearing apart their pockets that much that they want a Surefire with such a smooth barrel? Who are these LEOs, and why do they keep buying cheap-@$$ pants?? The checkering on my L4 never ripped apart the pockets on my pants.... And my pants were issued to me as part of my security guard uniform. You want to talk about cheaper than dirt pants, you should see mine!

Experienced the same issue that others have mentioned. Sometimes low would come on when I was expecting high. And the reversable clip is useless if you prefer bezel-up carry. The light literally leaned out of my pocket and was half way about to fall out. Bezel-down however offers a very nice, low-profile carry option; when clipped inside a pocket. Problem is, I prefer bezel-up.

The sales clerk ignored me after handing me the fully functional Display model, and went to tend to other customers. I got to try it out for at least 10 minutes straight. And that was more than enough for me. (Would be nice if Surefire could recess the lens a bit too. It's nearly flush with the end of the bezel).

So despite the future price jump, I didn't buy it.

l2icel3all

Newly Enlightened
If you had asked me this morning, I would have said yes. But now, I can honestly say no.

I went to an Authorized Surefire dealer in Manhattan, today. My plan was to buy a Surefire E1B before the price goes up. Sure enough, they had E1Bs in stock for $110, instead of the soon-to-be $149. And I figured it would be nice to have another, quality, 1xCR123 light next to my Novatac 120P.

The Dealer had Display models out, so I tried an E1B before buying it.... And after trying it out, I didn't buy it.

This is possibly the most poorly-designed Surefire light that I have ever held. I knew the light would be a bit slippery, due to a lack of checkering on the barrel. But slippery does not even begin to cover it. (I had a plastic bag in my right hand. Bought a good quality pen from a different shop in Manhattan. Walked about half an hour to the shop of the Authorized Dealer. Had a tight grip on the bag. When I opened my hand, there was a bit of sweat on it).

When I gripped the light in my fist, I could literally feel it shifting around in my closed fist! What the Hell?? I saw Surefire's promotional video. Are there really that many LEOs who have suffered from other Surefire lights tearing apart their pockets that much that they want a Surefire with such a smooth barrel? Who are these LEOs, and why do they keep buying cheap-@$$ pants?? The checkering on my L4 never ripped apart the pockets on my pants.... And my pants were issued to me as part of my security guard uniform. You want to talk about cheaper than dirt pants, you should see mine!

Experienced the same issue that others have mentioned. Sometimes low would come on when I was expecting high. And the reversable clip is useless if you prefer bezel-up carry. The light literally leaned out of my pocket and was half way about to fall out. Bezel-down however offers a very nice, low-profile carry option; when clipped inside a pocket. Problem is, I prefer bezel-up.

The sales clerk ignored me after handing me the fully functional Display model, and went to tend to other customers. I got to try it out for at least 10 minutes straight. And that was more than enough for me. (Would be nice if Surefire could recess the lens a bit too. It's nearly flush with the end of the bezel).

So despite the future price jump, I didn't buy it.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you came to my workplace? :eek:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no desire to own a SF at any price.
Ditto. Too low bang-per-buck ratio in my opinion.

Still, this is an ideal situation to get some profit out of.
1) Buy some surefires
2) wait until the price increase
3) re-sell them for a bit less than the official price
4) profit!

Why the announced price raise, by the way?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
what store?

Sorry, if I mention it over a public internet forum; l2icel3all might get in trouble with his boss. Especially since he was kind enough to give us all an advanced heads-up about the upcoming Surefire price increases, in another thread.

cl0123

Enlightened
I probably would buy if I know I need it.

If I already had an L1 that works good, then I probably would rather spend the money on something else.

Of course, there is no sense in over-rationalize one's needs vs wants if it's a hobby. After all, not everyone needs a Ferrari <or insert car name here> to drive from point A to B?

With Aloha,

Clarence

l2icel3all

Newly Enlightened
Yup. :)

I won't ask what you look like, but were you there today?

I was there today but I work in the corporate office upstairs. As for the sales person leaving your unattended, I apologize for that. Sometimes the store gets hectic and sometimes its so quite you can hear tumble weed rolling by. Today there was a lot of foot traffic in the store and we were under staffed in that department. I hope you enjoying your experience in the store! :thumbsup:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I was there today but I work in the corporate office upstairs. As for the sales person leaving your unattended, I apologize for that. Sometimes the store gets hectic and sometimes its so quite you can hear tumble weed rolling by. Today there was a lot of foot traffic in the store and we were under staffed in that department. I hope you enjoying your experience in the store! :thumbsup:

No need to apologize. It actually gave me a chance to examine the light for several minutes longer than expected. I usually enjoy myself when I stop by. :)

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I wouldn´t.

Surefire prices are already the most expensive. Do they have solid reasons to increase them ? I guess not...

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
i am tempted to get the 1-stage E1L due to the increase in lumens & runtime. a near future price increase did getme thinking seriously about getting it before needing to pay more for the same item a few weeks down the road.:sick2: