LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hardware:

- Fivemega FM3H-2 3" head
- FM 6 X 17670 tube and battery holder
- (4) Seoul P7 CSXOI
- (4) McR27XR reflectors
- (6) 17670 Li-ion cells, 2 series/3 parallel for 7.4 V operation
- (3) parallel Shark drivers sharing one dimming pot, all driving the string of four P7s
- (3) machined aluminum Shark heatsinks
- (1) 20K ohm logarithmic pot
- Custom pot knob w/ trit slot
- CNC heatsink, milled from 2 3/4" round 6061 aluminum. The inside contour of the head was mapped and the heatsink machined for a full-contact fit. Face features reflector seats that space the reflectors off the LEDs for proper focus and add them to the thermal mass.

Details:

- Current pot-adjustable from 0 - 2.7A
- Vf of LED strings: 13.6V V @ 3A
- Runtime approx. 40 min. on hi w/ 1600 mAh cells

dsc1402xo3.jpg

White wall beamshot, ISO200, 1/25 sec, F5.6:

Last edited:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Wow! That has to be one of the cleanest heatsinks I have ever seen! On top of that this is one of the cleanest builds I have seen yet if not the cleanest by far! Just how I like them! Absolutely stunning! :twothumbs

Where is everyone getting these CSXOHs? :poke:

easilyled

Flashaholic
I'm in awe. One fantastic build followed by another.
This one must exceed 3000 lumens on high.
It was only fantasy to have this much output at this much runtime in such a compact form factor until very recently.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
HOLY CLEAN BUILD!!!

AMAZING JOB!!!

I have a KT4 with 3 P7's and I thought THAT was bright! I can Only Imagine what THIS BEASTY looks like lit up!!!

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazing build Dennis. :bow:

Wow, that heat sink is awesome! I know a lot of time went into that.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW! I Was Waiting For Something BIG From You, But You Exceeded My Expectations Again!

Great work Master Dennis!! Your Avatar should say "Master Builder", I'm putting in a request to the mods! :twothumbs

Unbelievable heatsink! That alone must have at least 30h into it, so at the going labor rate, that's a $3000 build!!

Awesome!

starfiretoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
:goodjob: Great beam shot:thumbsup: Looks like the hot spot cleaned up well with the dies 90 degrees out. So How does it compare to the Trinity?
Can't wait to see the anodized SF2 version:grin2:

Last edited:

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the kind words guys.

The quad-P7 beam is more floody than the Cree version, but with noticeably more output especially in the increased spill. In that respect it is similar to the Trinity, but the Trinity beam is much wider with more coverage. The Cree still throws the best by focusing the majority of the output into a smaller area.

Single P7s in a McR27XR do have a dim center spot, and the quad almost eliminates it. But on a white wall there is still a slight hint of a donut. I can see it, but my wife can't. If you look at the beamshot you might be able to pick it out. In real use it cannot be detected.

Heat output is as expected, in between the 9 X Cree and Trinity. With the low thermal resistance, the head warms up quickly but the LED temp is not much hotter than the head. Center pot detent is 1.4A, which is comfortable for extended runs while remaining bright.

tdurand

Enlightened
Sweet build Dennis. That heatsink is nice. I like the embellishment too. My Moby Quad might have to make a trip back to get it's sink tattooed. :grin2:

Your comment on the "full-contact" head-to-heatsink barrier, did you use any thermal compound between the two? Other then making it difficult to seperate, would that help? Did you use any around the bottom curve of the reflectors as they look to be mapped and "full-contact" as well?

Thanks for sharing the pics
T
:thumbsup:

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
T, I used a full coat of compound between the head, sink, and tube.

The reflector bottoms are a simple 45 degree cone, and a slip-fit into the sink. I didn't use any compond on the reflectors.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Toby,

More sinks are being cut that will be sent out for anodizing. I built this light as a proof-of-concept to test fit and focus.

I'll have about 4 extras sinks to offer for those who want to build their own, and there will be some built lights as well.

I could start an interest thread if requested, but I don't want people to feel obligated to buy if they've posted interest but have changed their mind. It's an expensive build no matter how you look at it.

But feel free to PM me and reserve a sink if that's what you are looking for. I don't know the final price, but likely in line with my former MD sinks, about $100 or slightly more.

I doubt there is a demand for much more than 4 loose sinks bearing in mind turn-key lights will be available. But if there is, now is the time to speak up so they can all be sent out for HA at the same time.

As far as monster lights go, I will say it's an easy build. Although the McR27XR is perhaps not the ideal P7 reflector, it works well enough and requires no modding whatsoever. All sink dimensions are such that tube, sink, head, lens, and bezel align properly by simply screwing them together. No epoxy is necessary on the head, sink, or tube; everything jams together. A strap wrench or two is all that is required to disassemble the light for updating or remodding. Soldering is easy as well, simply flatten out the P7 leads and solder to the big tabs. The rear shoulder of the sink that enters the tube has a couple stepped pockets to receive different size boards including the D2DIM.

It is an expensive sink, but I hope the value is realized in ease of assembly and perfect, error-free fit.

I hope there isn't anyone out there who doesn't realize that these are show lights, not very practical at all. The riduculous heat they generate that cannot be dissipated naturally is matched only by the ridiculous brightness. Running at 1.5 A is acceptable, but how many of us have the discipline. Actually, come to think of it, it is indeed the light all of us need.

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello LED Zeppelin

I'm interested in one of the loose heatsinks. PM sent.

Last edited:

beetleguise

Enlightened
Dude, you need to mass produce these babies. You could patent led zep lights and sell them at cabellas to people who need the best of all the manly toys (like me!).