Fenix TK20: Is the Hype in the Light?

Confederate

Enlightened
I've read the threads, I've seen the photos, but I'm still not convinced. I've been very happy with my white LED beams from my P3D/L2D Q5s and am a bit befuddled by what I've heard.

When I turn on a TK20 at night, am I likely to go, "Oh, wow!"

The color balance issue can't readily be seen in photos because of the discrepancies in digital photographic images. The question is, are people likely to fully appreciate the more accurate color balance of the TK20? Or will it just translate into hype?

In photography, I'm concerned with color balance. With flashlights, I've always tended towards the bluish, or cool, temperatures. (It goes back to the ancient debates about the relative merits of Kodachrome v. Ektachrome in the old National Geographics.) Some liked the emphasis on the blues and whites, while some liked the emphasis on the reds and oranges. And there were filters galore...still are...to accommodate peoples' tastes.

Incandescent lights always tended towards the warm, thus I welcomed the relative coolness of LEDs when they arrived. I'm still not sure what I'm seeing in the photos, but I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say.

P.S. -- I also dislike the yellow grip. At first I thought it might be ten bucks cheaper, but no such luck.

shomie911

Enlightened
They make a model with a gray grip as well.

I however am a huge fan of the yellow grip, as it make it a lot easier to find if it is dropped.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like a creamier color over stark white. But I don`t know how much hype there is surrounding this light. I generally have been a brighter better guy. But I`m willing to give the light a chance.

Remember the "reveal" lights claimed to improved colors...looked like they had a blue tint to them...opposite of the new claims. So...I will wait and see. :thinking:

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt I will buy a TK20 but I do very much like the idea of warmer tints and I dislike very green or purple tints. I don't see anything special about the TK20 other than it has a "warm" Q2 inside it and for me the fact that it takes AAs is a plus. The yellow grip will apeal to some but I find it hideous personally! Thankfully there is an option.

Its just often too dificult to tell what it will be like without seeing the light in person and comparing it against other lights.

People say that warmer (incan like) tints are better outdoors and I'll have to take their word for it as I have no incans that are comparable to any of my LED lights in beam similarity.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm personally interested to see how the tint compares, but not enough to buy one. While a lot of the new features of the TK20 sound great, I don't like the bezel up clip and the fact it doesn't have a low somewhere under 10 lumens. I'm really picky :D If not for those two things I'd probably buy it; I "need" a good 2AA light still.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
me personally, i love the TK10 design, but i recently found out about eneloops, so i was searching for a pretty bright light that will take eneloops, so there u have it, i preordered the TK20 because its got 150 lumens, and takes eneloops, and the deal breaker for me is it had a bigger reflector than the L2T, and a brighter low mode at 45 lumens.

i really dont like the rubber grips, but since this light is aimed for the outdoors type, i can see why they have rubber grips, esp the yellow one, as shomie911 mentioned above, its easier to spot if dropped. i preorderd the gray one because it looks better than the yellow LOL and if i really like this light, i'll buy a yellow one for the car. but for now i plan on getting the E20 for the car. i wish this light had knurling instead.....maybe i'll cut off the grip and just add gapher tape to it.

my only fore seeable regrets wtih purchasing this light is IF this is like the T1, where they just threw it out in the market to see its flaws and then improve on it next time around ( like the TK10)

but heck lol then i'd just keep the Tk20 in the car and buy the more up dated version anyways LOL

the tint.....i do perfer incan for the outdoors, with the greens and all. but i've used my p3d so much now, that im use to the cooler tint...so i really dont care about the tint. but again, this light is geared towards the outdoorsy type.

a thought just occured to me. maybe this is another step up to nicer lights, for the ones that dont like paying for 123As or affraid of the hazzards. because for the non flashaholics its a big step from ur reg alki flashlights to lithiums, more risk more money, and of course more bennifits, but in there eyes, their not willing to put them selves at risk for a brighter flashlight when " mines already does what i need it to do" so i think this tk20 is another step up to the more advanced flashlights for the non flashoholic. the did recently just released some of those entry level lights, and someone looking at the E20 will probably later be tempted to buy the Tk20. i donno, just a thought....

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think there is some hype, but not in the selection/utilization of a neutral-white LED. [cool white has too much blue, warm white too much red, neutral white is just right]

The extra cost over the E20 ($66 to $38) probably rules out mass market appeal.
Two modes of operation seems like one too few, especially if you only want to feed it alkaline cells. (alkaline & turbo, really?)

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
probably a good light for general use, like throw it in the glove box, or in the cupboard in the house. I will not buy one, simply because the TK10 is my limit for size, as i do not buy lights that i can not EDC. I have rolled back to the P3D Q5 since i have a good new secure holster, because its an easier and more senseful EDC what with it having low low modes, and great brute force if you need it.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
The extra cost over the E20 ($66 to $38) probably rules out mass market appeal.
(alkaline & turbo, really?)
+1

It is just too expensive for me aswell considering that it is not revolutionary or that special.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am pretty sure the white balance is not functioning properly in the Fenix outdoor shots.
The indoor shots the background is a dirty brown for the warm white and with a bluish tint for the cool white - much the same when I compared my Dereelight Q2 5A with my Ultrafire C3 Q5.

But the outdoor shots are different than my lights at the GTA (Toronto) get together. The Q5 gives a bluish cast to leaves which is not present with the Dereelight. Neither shows a yellow as in the Fenix beamshots.
The lack of a blue tint improves the clarity a bit but not a lot.

I think WadeF's comparison of a Q2 5A Dereelight to assorted other lights is more representative than the Fenix shots of the difference between the neutral warm white LED and the pure white LEDs we are used to.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2531107&postcount=1
Look closely at the grass lower left and the wood mulch lower right (that is closest to tree trunks/branches in those photos)
The SSC-P7 has a blueish tint.
The Q2 5A has good colour rendition for the grass and wood chips but is off on the concrete path. Since there are few concrete paths (or white walls) in the woods that does not matter. But indoors where there are lots of white walls it does matter so the neutral warm white LED flashlight is a DEDICATED OUTDOORS light. You will be disappointed if you use it indoors. I was.
Note the R2 WH has probably the best overall tint for general use - while the grass and wood chips are not the most pleasing, the concrete colour is not way off.

BillG

Newly Enlightened
i'll stick with my 2 light combo. olight T20 and SL scorpion. one indoor/outdoor and one outdoor. both nice and small for EDC. interchangeable cells also.

i still like incan for outdoors. and i save $68 to boot. more money for 123 cells!

The Sun

Enlightened
I'm personally interested to see how the tint compares, but not enough to buy one. While a lot of the new features of the TK20 sound great, I don't like the bezel up clip and the fact it doesn't have a low somewhere under 10 lumens. I'm really picky :D If not for those two things I'd probably buy it; I "need" a good 2AA light still.

+1

Mercenaries

Newly Enlightened
I am going to order my TK20 very soon. As soon as I receive mine, I will drops a WH Q5 in it. IMHO brightness is more important than color tint. I don't know which exact Q2 is Fenix using, but the WH looks yellow enough for me already. I will get the one with the yellow grip.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with a few others that the price seems quite high for this type of light. A lower low would also seem to make sense if the light is meant for outdoor use such a camping activities. I do like the visibility of the Yellow grip, except I don't know how durable it will be. In a couple of years if it wears out you won't be able to find another, however there may be generic solutions to replace it that work just as well. I'm looking for some good AA based lights so I'll keep my eyes on it.