Malkoff and 2.5" Throw Master

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, I'm new here, and looking to use 2.5" Throw Master with my Malkoff drop in. Tell me how to make it work and I'm in. Does it need any modification?

Thanks,

[size=+2]Does anybody know the answer?[/size]

[size=+1]Any pictured explaination and beam shots will help newbies to find their answer before PM me.[/size]

Thank you in advance.

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming you are refering to the one LED Malkoff drop-in. My drop-in is 14.76mm at the widest spot, the 2.5 Throw Master has a 12.6mm opening. You would need to enlarge the 2.5 TM opening to 15mm to be safe. You would also need to remove the screw on cam from the 2.5 reflector. I purchased the 2.5 for the same reason and now don't want to drill it out because it is such a nice looking build.

Last edited:

Freddy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! I don't have the equipment to enlarge the opening, thus the question.

jag808808

Enlightened
Freddy,

Use a step drill bit. It looks like a cone drill bit. You can easily use that to slowly enlarge the hole. The bit is readily available at most hardware stores.

If you do not want to drill it out, I will happily take it off your hands! :nana: :poke:

Aloha,

jag

Freddy

Newly Enlightened
Assuming you are refering to the one LED Malkoff drop-in. My drop-in is 14.76mm at the widest spot, the 2.5 Throw Master has a 12.6mm opening. You would need to enlarge the 2.5 TM opening to 15mm to be safe. You would also need to remove the screw on cam from the 2.5 reflector. I purchased the 2.5 for the same reason and now don't want to drill it out because it is such a nice looking build.

So you had a long weekend--did you do it? Did it work? Come on, I need a tester!

Thanks for the info--I'm still on the fence.

Freddy

Newly Enlightened
Freddy,

Use a step drill bit. It looks like a cone drill bit. You can easily use that to slowly enlarge the hole. The bit is readily available at most hardware stores.

If you do not want to drill it out, I will happily take it off your hands! :nana: :poke:

Aloha,

jag

I seem to remember you making that offer before--recently.....

Thanks for the advice. Now I just have to decide what to do. I wish someone would tell me that this head would provide a significant improvement over the stock head and reflector. That would make it easier.

jag808808

Enlightened
LOL Freddy,

It was not me! Although, I also recall someone making you the exact offer! If it is red, maybe we could work something out. I have no fear of drilling something out to fit. But, I do have a fair amount of mechanical skill. Let me know if you are still hesistant. Maybe we can work out a deal? :naughty:

Aloha,

jag

p.s. I recall a thread where someone did modify one. He drilled out the hole to fit the P7. It was within the last few months.

I seem to remember you making that offer before--recently.....

Thanks for the advice. Now I just have to decide what to do. I wish someone would tell me that this head would provide a significant improvement over the stock head and reflector. That would make it easier.

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you had a long weekend--did you do it? Did it work? Come on, I need a tester!

Thanks for the info--I'm still on the fence.

I did not and will not on this head. I know it will work, I just don't want to use this red head for that. I will most likely order a gray or red/ chrome version for my Malkoff drop-in. Jag gave great advice, one of those step drill bits will work just fine. It may look a little nasty from the backside but the front should look okay. Again as Jag stated, I remember reading a thread about someone doing this for the P7 mod as well.

I would PM LuxLuthor, I know he has everyone of FM's aftermarket heads for the Mags. He could tell you if there was any real difference between the two.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I drilled a 2.5 Throwmaster to fit a P7 Led using an electric screwdriver and a step drill bit, it's not that hard and can be done by hand, just keep it perpendicular and be careful when you drill thru because the bit will try to take a big bite out of the reflector.

AlexGT

PD. tread can be found here

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=196283

Last edited:

Freddy

Newly Enlightened
LOL Freddy,

It was not me! Although, I also recall someone making you the exact offer! If it is red, maybe we could work something out. I have no fear of drilling something out to fit. But, I do have a fair amount of mechanical skill. Let me know if you are still hesistant. Maybe we can work out a deal? :naughty:

Aloha,

jag

p.s. I recall a thread where someone did modify one. He drilled out the hole to fit the P7. It was within the last few months.

I think I'm going grey but thanks for the offer. I just hate to take a perfect piece and start chopping and drilling but that seems to be the way of this forum. I'll get used to it. Now just need to convince the wife that blinding the wildlife is a normal hobby.....:naughty:

Freddy

Newly Enlightened
I drilled a 2.5 Throwmaster to fit a P7 Led using an electric screwdriver and a step drill bit, it's not that hard and can be done by hand, just keep it perpendicular and be careful when you drill thru because the bit will try to take a big bite out of the reflector.

AlexGT

PD. tread can be found here

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=196283

Thanks, Alex. I actually have access to a drill press. That should make things a bit easier.