Cree XP-E available!

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

Today I got a notification that Cree is shipping out the XP-E LED. Retail dealers should have them in a few days and will start shipping them. Bins upto Q4 are available now.

Just want to let you know :)

Cheers
Raf

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got a PM, will reply it here since other people may have the same question.

How much are these and, is the performance expected to be similar (but much better?) than the P4s I was going to use for some Aspherical Mag mods?
I think the price will be a little lower than the XR-E, but I can not tell exactly how much. The performance will be better depending on the bin you get. I know Q4 is available, this bin is rated at 100-107lm @ 350mA. The P4 is rated at 80-87lm @ 350mA, so the Q4 will be on average 20 lumen brighter.

For the record : I don't stock these, this thread is just to inform that dealers will have them on stock soon.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a great product for small flashlights, like the AAA cell ones. Why put a more expensive 1000 ma LED in one when it is not to be driven 1/2 as much like the XR-E in the Fenix LOD?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a great product for small flashlights, like the AAA cell ones. Why put a more expensive 1000 ma LED in one when it is not to be driven 1/2 as much like the XR-E in the Fenix LOD?

Efficiency is paramount for lights with such small power sources, so whatever emitter offers the highest efficiency at around 350mA is ideal.

But of course equal efficiency at 350mA but at lower cost is even better.

Last edited:

Flummo

Newly Enlightened
For us without any idea about those leds, in what areas are those better than, say, a XR-E Q5 ? My memory may be bad, but 100-107lm @ 350mA sounds lower.

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
For us without any idea about those leds, in what areas are those better than, say, a XR-E Q5 ? My memory may be bad, but 100-107lm @ 350mA sounds lower.

One bin lower: Q4. It says that in the first post of the thread.

Marduke

Flashaholic

We are pretty sure that since the XP-E doesn't have a metal ring around the dome, it will get rid of the famous "Cree rings", and yield a MUCH better beam pattern.

Not having the conductive ring is also a plus in that it doesn't short on metal reflectors anymore.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are pretty sure that since the XP-E doesn't have a metal ring around the dome, it will get rid of the famous "Cree rings", and yield a MUCH better beam pattern.

Not having the conductive ring is also a plus in that it doesn't short on metal reflectors anymore.

It's not the ring that shorts; it's the top contacts. But the XP-E still doesn't have those either.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
they have some really nice pictures on led-tech.de

lt14231219848878zs5.jpg

it is so tiny!
lt14231219848875mj4.jpg

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
DAMN! That thing is TINY!!
So reflow soldering is the only option? :(:confused::popcorn:

Where can I buy some in the US?

I don't know. Looking at the datasheet, it might be possible to scrape some silicone off of the package and solder to metal previously encapsulated, like we did with Rebels. But if it can be done on the XP-E, it'll be very tight-quarters.

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
Sorry i have to say it again "DAMN! That thing is TINY!!"

The 25 degree wider beam angle will make for a nice beam depending on the reflector. I'd love to see one of these in an LOD.

TexLite

Enlightened
I was under the impression those were solder pads on the left hand corners in the pic below?They correspond to the electrical layout.
lt14231219848878zs5.jpg

-Michael

Last edited:

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never seen a Rebel emitter but I can confirm from a sample that the XP-E is very very small :) Good news is that it IS possible to solder them manually. Just grind away the electric path on the bottom, mount them with some adhesive thermal compound and solder the wires to the top paths.

Looks like Cutter got them in too, they are currently offering P2-7A and P3-5B (both warm white LEDs) for 6 USD each.

nelson49

Newly Enlightened
( Sorry Erasmus )It was a wrong question it is not about this Led :duh2:

Last edited:

TexLite

Enlightened
I've never seen a Rebel emitter but I can confirm from a sample that the XP-E is very very small :) Good news is that it IS possible to solder them manually. Just grind away the electric path on the bottom, mount them with some adhesive thermal compound and solder the wires to the top paths.

Thanks Raf,I was thinking that was the case.

Definitely small though,no place for gorilla tactics.

-Michael

WeLight

Enlightened
It is a bugger to wire,
xpewired.gif
not on a PCB!!

we have some 10mm round boards coming
xpepcbround.jpg
, but if anyone has suggestions about other boards ?? let me know