Nitecore D10 and EX10 runtimes

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the "mid" tests I tried to find a level that was as close to half of the max output as possible, then I ran all tests at that level.

D10

Nitecore%20SmartPD%20D10%20-%20max.png

Nitecore%20SmartPD%20D10%20-%20mid.png

Nitecore%20SmartPD%20D10%20-%20min.png

EX10

Nitecore%20SmartPD%20EX10%20-%20max.png

Nitecore%20SmartPD%20EX10%20-%20mid.png

Nitecore SmartPD EX10 - min.png

The D10 did not overdischarge the Ni-MH cells on any levels, stopping at right around .900 volts. It also did not overdischarge the AW 14500, which terminated at 2.92 volts

The EX10 did mildly overdischarge the AW RCR123 on low because the protection circuit is designed for use in a much higher drain application. The cell measured 2.76 volts after shutting off. It terminated above 2.90v on all other tested levels.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow very cool. What do you mean when you say the D10 didn't discharge the nimh cells? Is there battery protection built in?

Thanks for the results!!!

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ni-MH cells should not be discharged below 0.900 volts, or it will shorten the lives of the cells. The D10 does not seem to be capable of drawing them any lower than that.

Li-Ion cells should not be discharged below 2.90 volts for the very same reason, but both the D10 and EX10 are very capable of draining them well below that level if a cell without a protection circuit is used. Or if a cell that has the protection circuit calibrated for a much higher draw is used, as was the case with the AW RCR123.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that is great news on the D10!! I never let my Eneloops get drained anyway, but it's comforting to know that the light will protect the battery as well!!

This means the D10 can't be a vampire to finish off alkalines, but I'm 100% okay with that!!!

The D10 is getting more and more impressive every time I read something new about it!!! McGizmo's genius + 4seven's insight + NiteCore's manufacturing capability = HOMERUN!! :twothumbs

Thanks again for your great work!!! :D :D

thk

Newly Enlightened
Wow, that is great news on the D10!! I never let my Eneloops get drained anyway, but it's comforting to know that the light will protect the battery as well!!

That was my only worry about this light but after reading this post, it makes me feel that I really made a good purchase.

Now ... if the Zebralight has the same feature ... :D

bfodnes

Newly Enlightened
Good report.

Ive got nr 504 of the D 10 and I am very satisfied. Ive had it 14 days now delivered for 4sevens to Norway.

Im really a surefire geek but this light is now my EDC light.

The smooth switch and the easy interface with ramping is just amazing.

I was also very lucky in the led depertment this time, perfect tint for me and nearly no rings visible.

One thing I have seen addressed in other posts is that some dont trust it for beeing waterproof. The back end seems 100% due to the seal and piston. The head conection seems 100% to me too. Only thing i cant tell is the front end glass.

Have anyone tested it...........

superflytnt

Enlightened
I wonder if the low level of the SPD's was lowered after the specs came out? it's still rated at around 3 to 5 lumens and 45 to 65 hours of runtime. It's obviously far dimmer than that and we're seeing runtimes of 80 to 150+ hours. Regardless, this is good to hear as I use the low leven on my D10 quite often.

BTW, thanks chevrofreak! Your runtimes are still the standard..........

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do very much like that the lowest level is around 1/2 of a lumen instead of 5 lumens.

I've used the D10 as a night light with an old alkaline in it, and let me tell you, even 1/2 lumen is a lot of light in a dark room. It's almost too bright for me for night light use.

jbviau

Enlightened
Have to agree about the low mode being lower than described in the specs. That said, there's variability in terms of exactly how low it can go. My first EX10 had a noticeably lower low than my second one. I could stare right at its LED comfortably on low, whereas doing so is less comfortable with my new EX10, which is brighter on all levels.

torpeau

Newly Enlightened
Li-Ion cells should not be discharged below 2.90 volts for the very same reason, but both the D10 and EX10 are very capable of draining them well below that level if a cell without a protection circuit is used. Or if a cell that has the protection circuit calibrated for a much higher draw is used, as was the case with the AW RCR123.

A pretty basic question: How does one know when an AW RCR123 is approaching 2.90 volts?

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the very lowest levels it will be difficult for you to tell. If you have a feeling that your cell is pretty low, maybe kick the light to a higher level, say around 5-10 lumens. At that level it should trip the protection circuit before the cell is overdischarged because of the higher current draw.

Just top off regularly and it shouldn't be a problem.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I have seen addressed in other posts is that some dont trust it for beeing waterproof. The back end seems 100% due to the seal and piston. The head conection seems 100% to me too. Only thing i cant tell is the front end glass.

Have anyone tested it...........
yes, i have. and i dont have good luck with lights and water, as you would see in my other threads. i turned it on and off under water many times and adjusted the levels just swimming in the pool for about 2 hours. not a single bit of water on the inside. :twothumbs

Brangdon

Newly Enlightened
My D10 GDP probably is lower than spec, but I think it's over 1 lumen. It's a bit brighter than my old Surefire L1, which I've always taken to be around 1 lumen. For something like reading a book under the covers at night, it feels like a lot of light.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great runtimes tests:twothumbs

Have really missed your runtimes lately..

Sverre