Magled 4d and Hurricane Gustav

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used my magled 4d last night due to power outage from hurrican Gustav. I turned it on and put it between the cushions in the sofa. It lit the room up well. I had enough light to see where I was walking and it hardly drain the batteries at all. All in all this light is turning out to be quite the bargain. I'm thinking about picking up a couple more for other rooms.

Ayeaux

Newly Enlightened
I bought a magled module for my 3d mag a little over a year ago. I've played with it, brought it camping, repaired cars, went for night walks on the beach, played with it some more, and it still is on its original alkaline batteries. I feel confident that I'll have plenty of light from it during even extend power outages.

sabre7

Enlightened
You can get a NiteIze drop in at Walmart, in a 4D Mag they will give you even more runtime, about 110 hrs. They aren't as bright, but also store easily in the tailcap for power outages.

dlrflyer

Newly Enlightened
Count me as a MagLED fan. I use a 2D, found out that it fits perfectly in a paper towel tube, so I just set a roll upright on kitchen table, insert Mag, voila.....perfect ceiling bounce.

GPB

Enlightened
Mags don't seem all that popular around here, but I'm a big fan. I have a Mag LED that has been great for me, ( although I just replaced it with a terra-lux )

For a home powerfailure its hard to beat the light and duration of a big, multi D cell flashlight.

A while back someone wrote that its easy to critique Mags but if you had to lend your Grandmother a light, its the perfect light. Durable, dependable, simple, and brighter than the average consumer needs.

That Nite Ize bulb mentioned above has insane run times. You'll swear that someone is sneaking new batteries into your light. I use the bulb in a 2 C cell light as a nightlight for my 6 year old, and I feed it batteries that are too drained to run his other toys. He runs it for 4-5 hours per night and the batteries last for weeks !! Its not blindingly bright...but it will run forever.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
im thinking about getting another 3d magight just for the urpose of using the LED modules you can buy for it, or even amore high end upgraded one with a lens or something. Anyone know where to get those cool lenses?
My other has become a mag85.

cslinger

Enlightened
I have a 2D or 3D MAGLED in every room of my house except the garage and bathrooms. I have personally run the 2D for 32+ hours and still had enough light to navigate by. It lit a regular sized room up via ceiling bounce for 32 hours.

I think the MAGLEDs are actually darn good lights for home use.

Chris

kurni

Enlightened
Hmm... I was a magled hater, but I picked up a 4 cell upgrade module and was pleasantly surprised; the hotspot wasn't shabby at all. I know the driver efficiency is bad, LED efficiency is also bad, heatsink is bad, but I guess it's practical. If I have SSC I'll try to upgrade my module; I hope to get more lumens.

Note however, despite the brighter hotspot than my Dereelight 5A Q2, I find 5A tint provides better long-range visibility outdoor.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
For what the light does I don't think you can beat it for under $35.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I've been slowly upgrading my Mags to LED modules as I find them at good prices - have my 2D and 2x3Ds upgraded and they really work well with very good runtimes and serve as my emergency backup lights. And I picked up the NiteIze drop in for the 2D to alternate for even more runtime. It looks like Hanna will not be a huge factor for us but hurricanes do come through here with some frequency with the most common issue being power outages, not to mention a higher than average tendency toward ice storms (rather than snow) so power outages are my number one most common issue with weather and natural disasters. I've found the MagLEDs to be solid contributors to the arsenal and arguably more useful given the runtimes than all my pocket EDC lights. Sometimes a big fat C or D cell light is the right tool for a job.

There is something of a luxeon lottery with them, two are nice and white but one is noticeably greenish - but as a backup light I'm not exactly white wall hunting with it so it works just fine.

I bought the NiteIze actually to replace the burned out xenon bulb in a Pelican Super Sabrelight (rebranded to Hubbellite) since I did not want something that generated much head off the 3C format given it is entirely plastic other than the electrical contacts, but it does not work very well in the Pelican fixed focus lens and projects a nasty ringy blob. So I'm actually contemplating picking up another 2 or 3 cell Mag simply to serve as a host for the Niteize so I can keep the 2D dedicated to the MagLED... :eek:oo: Who'd of thunk that a year or so ago? Unless I can find a Brinkmann or less expensive host with a focusable head.

For some reason I've actually gravitated back to some older designs that, honestly, continue to work pretty well for specific uses..

dlrflyer

Newly Enlightened
I think the thermal throttle is quite useful. For about 5-10 min, you got strong output for spotting, usually this would be more than sufficient to see what kicked over the garbage can. By throttling back, it extends the runtime, useful for a long run ceiling bounce. I recommend buying the modules when heavily discounted, then buy the regular mags on Black Friday at Lowes. For several years now, they've offered them for $10 on that day.