Surefire Beam Covers and Filters

PinarelloOnly

Newly Enlightened
When I set out to buy my beam covers, I found there is very little info
especially pictorial info. Information like, Do they really add weight? Do
others like the looks and functionality?

Please post your pix and info of your beam covers or filters mounted on
your lights for generalization.

I am sure many will find this thread helpful when searching CPF down the
road, when deciding to purchase beam covers and filters for their Surefires.:D

FM37 beam covers mounted on C2 and 6P

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
thanks for the pics, i think they look rather ugly (thats besides the point, as they are purpose made & design). it adds bulk the a light which does not appeal to me.

SnWnMe

Enlightened
Thanks. This thread helps me visualize what my 6PL will look like with an FM35 on it. I like the flip up design. I can quickly switch between red and white for those times when I step out on a ship's weather decks at night.

zven

Enlightened
I don't have my camera on me, so I can't post any pictures (though my FM34 looks pretty close to the pictures above, as I have it on my C2-HA).

The filter does add a little weight, though I don't find it to be a huge amount. In terms of bulk, it is significant if you plan to keep the light in your pocket, though clipped to my belt I have no problem with it. Actually, in some ways, I like the extra bulk, as it provides one more thing to prevent the light from slipping out of your hand.

And in terms of use, these things are fabulous (the flip filters, at least). I find it very easy and fast to put the filter on, or flip it off, probably faster than, say, focusing a Maglight.

And for the FM34 specifically, this is a great diffuser that has, in my opinion, the best combination of diffusion and light filtration. That is, it lets as much light through as possible (nearly all) while giving you a VERY diffuse beam.

The E-series filters are a bit different. I'd definitely rate these at a lower quality than the C-series filters in terms of build, utility and convenience. On the plus side, they add less bulk to the light, but on the down side, you can't flip them on and off. If there were a series of flip filters that could fit my L1, I would be a very happy man.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
the E series filters can easily be improvised. the filter material + rubber cap (of the right size) hollowed out will do.

i made a diffuser under SGD$2! :grin2:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love SF's filters and beam diffusers, quality stuff!

2835842660_380841b2cf_m.jpg

2835849914_f3d7686051_m.jpg

2835849960_ac86a2577d_m.jpg

2835012351_4c4c6e6145_m.jpg

Unfortunately for the E series lights, you have to make a good flip up diffuser from available parts:

2835012493_d4166f143b_m.jpg

Retinator

Enlightened
Amazing pics!

Sadly I don't have any use for them :( Well maybe the cover or a diffuser :)

Few questions......

I take it they are friction fit, ratcheted down somehow. How well do they stay on if dropped, bounced etc...?

Do they affect the spill any? Looks like you would lose some, maybe not too noticable.

And before someone else asks......

Leukos, what holster is that for the M6?
Lookin good, those beamfitters are brutal looking :) As if the M6 wasn't awe-inspiring enough.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
I take it they are friction fit, ratcheted down somehow. How well do they stay on if dropped, bounced etc...?

The only one I have experience with is the FM63 Infrared filter that fits the M2. A good picture is here showing the locking lever in the locked position. It fits just by friction pretty securely even with the lever released. I takes a good sustained pull to take off and put on. With the lever I never had an issue. I just measured it on a relatively inaccurate analog kitchen scale and it was about 1 oz.

Although falling off is not a huge issue in dropping and bouncing they are decidely less durable than the rest of the light. I didn't have an issue with mine but I mostly kept it off except when needed to keep it from breaking. I've heard of the hinge break with a good thump, especially when the cover is open. The little locking latch for the cover on mine seems to come loose with the lens pushing out a little and maybe catching on things it bumps or rubs against.

Tomcat!

Enlightened
I have a couple of SF filters for C/G/Z series and E series lights. As well as using them for SFs I also use them for other lights. Here's a shot of an FM34 diffuser on a Gladius and an F04 on a Novatac 120P. The Gladius is a very tight fit as the bezel is a touch bigger than 1 inch and requires a bit of brute force to get the latch to shut but it does wonders to smooth out that ugly beam for close work. The very low end of the ramped Gladius output is so much more usable with the filter on. The 120P also benefits from being SF filter compatible. Indeed it was the deal maker for me. I also use the FM35 and F05 red filters on these lights. The 120P becomes a really great night light with one on.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do they affect the spill any? Looks like you would lose some, maybe not too noticable.

And before someone else asks......

Leukos, what holster is that for the M6?
Lookin good, those beamfitters are brutal looking :) As if the M6 wasn't awe-inspiring enough.

Retinator,
That is a Ripoffs holster for the M6. As far as spill, I suppose you lose some of the spill on the red, blue, and IR filters, but I don't notice it much in real world usage. The diffusers on the other hand really increase the spill/flood of the beam.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a pic of my M3T w/ M3 head. The beam cover is NOT SF. it is a bootleg. When I was in HK in march, I bought a cheap KO of the vertical foregrip light that SF makes. M900 I think it is. anyway it came with the KO beam cover. I sold the KO M900 to a kid I know in airsoft. But i kept the beamcover so I could throw it on the M3. it does its job but im sure a real SF beamcover is in the forseeable future for my M6 and maybe replace the m3 as well.

JoeDizzy

Newly Enlightened
I don't have any pics but an F04 on my E1B goes a long way for versatility. I EDC this light with beamshaper on. It protects the lense and bezel, just pull it off for throw.

I wish Surefire made the same type of slip on filter for the 6p. I have ordered some colored slip on filters from Ebay; In hopes to convert them to diffusors. Those Flip covers are nice but just too bulky for my use.

SimpleIsGood229

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. This thread helps me visualize what my 6PL will look like with an FM35 on it. I like the flip up design. I can quickly switch between red and white for those times when I step out on a ship's weather decks at night.
With the red filter on, the LED is much, much, much dimmer. I bought one for my 6PDL. I think it's a matter of the LED's color spectrum and whatnot. The blue filter is pretty bright, however.