Problems with flashight build

96cad

Newly Enlightened
I decided to built a flashlight. I got all the parts thought to be needed. I am using a 2D MAG-lite as a host. I ordered the 2D to 8AA holder from sandwich shoppe. When I received the holder I put 8 Sanyo batteries and the springs melted. Anyways they finally sent me a new one, I tried to hook up the ROP bulbs but did not get a connection. Next I tried putting the bulb from my 6 cell Maglite into the new 2D cell with the 8 sanyos. I was surprised how well it worked, it was bright. My question is how to I get the ROP bulbs to work.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
8 cells probably insta-flashed the ROP bulb. You generally use 6 cells for ROP, and even that is pushing it beyond what it was designed to do.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Well, the ROP bulbs are supposed to work with 6 NiMh batteries, 7 well rested ones at most. 8 will pop the bulb.

Maybe the bulbs already went :poof:

:welcome:

96cad

Newly Enlightened
I tired putting 2 dummy cells in but that didn't work. I used copper thought that would have worked fine. If 8 cells at 1.2 volts each is too much. how bright of a bulb can you get that will run on 8 AA Sanyos? I guess I burnt the ROP bulbs, that's a shame. When I first got the batteries all of them ran fine on the high bulb. After charging them I guess the volts were higher.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Yea, looks like you fried the ROP lamps, I'm surprised you didn't also fry the 6 cell mag bulb as well doing that.

There are some popular lamps for use with 8 NIMH cells. But they will require a PR to G4 bi-pin adapter to mount up. I can't remember which ones they are exactly off the top of my head :)

As already mentioned, we use 6AA packs for the ROP mod.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I hope you're also using a glass lens and aluminum reflector. Otherwise you're going to be in for another melted mess.

96cad

Newly Enlightened
Yeah i have the glass and A LOD reflector. Man this is taking more time and money than I thought ha. So I'm guessing the best thing to do is get a Bi-pin adapter.
Then get a bulb the rated 9.6 volts that would be roughly 8 AA sanyos.
I sanded out the inside with 60 grit.
I was looking at the battery cases on mdocod page and they look to be of better quality than the one I got at the sandwich shoppe.

Last edited:

jake25

Enlightened
I just went through FM to build my ROP, its pretty much a package deal, no hassle no fuss. unfortunatly somehow i broke the filament in the ROP Hi bulb, anyone have an extra:poke: